mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Total Knee Replacement

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone out there that mountain bike rides and or races has had a total knee replacement ? I am facing a total knee in june and love to mountain bike race but I am really nervous that I might not be able to ride as aggressivley as I do now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Liz

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    had a total left done 12-28-12 started riding 4 weeks after surgery.pt was going good so they gave me the ok.It has been a learning adventure.Been putting in long base miles and ride according to discomfort.Just listen to dr an pt therapist.what is reason for tkr? if you dont mind asking.

mtbr member
    take a look at this product before you pull the trigger on the knee. I have been working in the medical device world for years now. I carry this product along with several others (including total knee devices) and I have seen fantastic results with it.

I personally have about 250 patients in the Santa Barbara area on the BioniCare and have seen fantastic results. Not an overnight fix, but if you are trying to buy some time before you have to get the replacement this could help

Knee Osteoarthritis Treatment Hand Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi Liz, Im Paul and Iím posting here because I strongly believe that sharing my sisterís story can help others Ė before you are done testing and make a decision please read..

About 2 months ago my sister had a TKR. It happened to be that I had the same surgery myself 2 years ago. Itís not an easy thing to go through, and I made sure to be as supportive of my sister as possible. The surgery went well, she was recovering, and then, all of a sudden, 2 days after the procedure she almost bled to death. Thereíre many things you take into consideration when going through knee replacement Ė will the surgery go well? Will I wake up from anesthesia? Will my new knee be rejected or not. I discussed these things with my physician in detail, and so did my sister. But apparently, thereís a risk of internal bleeding caused by anticoagulants that are injected after surgery, to prevent the blood clots formation. The risk is not exceptionally frequent, but my sister happened to be in the unlucky part of statistics. When she was in an emergency room, I realized that going through the similar procedure in a different hospital I wasn't even prescribed anticoagulants. I remembered being on baby aspirin and a portable compression device for about 10 days after the surgery. During my recovery period, I didn't think too much of it. But when my sister was bleeding to death, I kept thinking that if she was prescribed that device instead of anticoagulants, her life would probably not be at risk.

I did some research and found the name of the device. Itís called ActiveCare+SFT, it applies soft compression to your legs, and somehow prevents clots formation without a need of anticoagulants. Hereís their website. They also have a list of hospitals where this device is prescribed.

Read about it, and please spread the word! This is the best life saving tip anyone can give you if youíre going through any lower limb replacement surgery.

MCS Learn How to Reduce DVT Risks .

Another site to help you with your concerns for riding again..

Bike Riding After A Total Knee Replacement | LIVESTRONG.COM

I was back to riding (road) within a cple months, I really feel it depends on the person and how determined they are... Do that physical therapy and strengthen and condition your knee and you will be riding in no time... Best of luck, Paul

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sorry for the late reply , but my knee has so much arthritis from an old injury and I also have basically no miniscus so it rubs bone on bone. It almost looks deformed from all the arthritis and I also have 3 bone spurs and that all combined is limiting my range of motion and making any type of cycling uncomfortable . It stinks and I'm scared ! All I want to be able to do is cycle and weight lift and mountain bike race , thats all I ask...

?hipster?
    I did not have knee surgery but bilateral (2 at once) hip resurfacing about 4 years ago, it is similar to THR. I also had very bad arthritis in both hips and was bone on bone. I have no problems mountain biking and zero pain although I do ride with more caution. I could race if I wanted to but I did plenty of that in the past and do not desire to do it any more. There is a procedure called knee resurfacing that is now available but I do not know much about it, but it is worth looking into. There can be cycling after joint replacement, but the surgeon and device choice is critical. They are not all created equal. If the surgeon screws up or is not super experienced you in for a very tough road, you will not be able to live w/o painkillers never mind ride a mtb. I cannot emphasize that enough. Good luck

mtbr dismember

Both five years ago

You been in a cave? Search for my posts. Had both replaced five years ago. My 63rd birthday ride:

mtbr member
    I am 5 weeks and 2 days post total knee replacement surgery, I have been on the stationary bike over 3 weeks now. my flexibility is actually better now than before my surgery. still doing my rehab gaining strength and stamina again. this stiffens up when walking for extended periods of time. my therapist is impressed of my progress and says the good progress is due to riding before surgery. my doc said the only thing I can't do is mogul ski. I might try the actual bike this coming week just riding around the neighborhood. I think it will be a couple months before starting some easy trails. I'll see what the doc says.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    No moguls, FTS!

I see a lot of heli skiing in my future.

mtbr member
    I had a TKR last April (2013), biking is key to recovery I promise, did a lot of stationary for a little while the started on bike paths about week 4 and worked up from there. I was riding my dirt bike at 4 months and doing MTB trails about the same time. I am doing fine right now riding both, no limitations other than a little scar tissue still breaking up from time to time. Only thing I wish was is that I had not waited so long, lived in pain way to long, mine started by shattering the top of my tib June 2010, tibial plateau fracture.

TKR = no more running, you can but your knee won't last as long! no more moguls' as someone already mentioned. But pretty much the rest is fair game.

TKR's are pretty much routine surgeries these days, there really isn't a bad prosthetic but do meet with a couple doc's and make sure you agree with their recovery plan, aggressive, passive etc. resurfacing ( not even sure they do that)is nothing more than a interim solution, you'll get a knee eventually anyway, same for partials. Most people that get one are not like us,they are already not active and live sedentary lifestyles, probably don't do their PT like they should after surgery and complain later.

I met with four or five surgeons before mine, honestly and this is just an opinion, if they mention an osteotomy, resurface or partial I say run, don't walk..away. Most knees are considered 90% knees meaning at 15-20 years 90% of folks across the board still don't need a revision. Honestly after breaking my tib I would take a knee replacement surgery any day, the recovery was 10 times easier. It is rare that people reject the prosthetic and infection protocols are very complete these days. My wife is also a surgical RN so between my own research and her I have a pretty good feel for it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

My avatar is after I broke the tib, 4 hours putting it back together, bone grafts, plates and screws, ACL, cartilage and MCL damage...long long recovery plus they had to removed the plates and all screws during the TKR surgery, overall the TKR was easy.

mtbr member
    Gobylvr I wonder how you are doing now??
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am at the start of this myself. I've had several scopes and micro fraction and knee is shot. I still ride but need lots of Advil to continue and avoid standing and grinding up hills. Running or even good walks cause lots of pain so my only decent exercise has been my rides. Had two doctors say I need TKR but because I'm 48 they say they would do partial first. I really don't want a partial as I've heard lots of negative stories.

Should I be forceful in not wanting a partial?

mtbr dismember

Second opinion

Quote Originally Posted by MTB Dad View Post
    ...Should I be forceful in not wanting a partial?
    Get a second opinion. One orthopedist said I wouldn't be able to bike, while the second opinion encouraged me to bike. I took the second opinion and I have biked thousands of miles since!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I had a third doc (friend) look at my MRI as well and agreed TKR is gonna be needed but just cause I'm under 50 they keep pushing a partial. I'm only 14 months short of 50 so I don't get it...
    As long as I can continue riding I don't care just don't feel like going through major surgery twice as it seems partials don't seem to last from what I've read and heard.

Anyone have an opinion on partial?

mtbr member
    MTB Dad- my orthopedic surgeon told me good candidates for PKR are rare and that he can't know for sure until he's in there. I am also in that pre-surgery limbo and hoping to make some good decisions. I can no longer climb out of the saddle because the bad knee doesn't have the strength to make the full rotation. It really pisses me off. I am 56.
    Never give up, never surrender.