mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Total Hip Replacement

Bike everyday, 54 year old male, a little overweight but relatively fit.

Going in for total hip replacement on Monday. I know I will return to biking ASAP, but not quite sure of a time frame at this point.

Anyone had one and how quickly did you return?

?hipster?
    I had bilateral hip resurfacing (similar to THR) at 56 and was back on the trails at around 4 months I think. I remember crashing hard on ice at 5 months with no issues. A lot depends on the individual and your surgeon. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    How many years ago was your BHR? Who did yours? I looked into it and lot's of people love it. But none of the surgeons around my home do it and most discouraged it because of the metal on metal. So I went with the anterior approach and one of the Stryker devices with the ceramic ball and plastic cup.

Thanks!

?hipster?
    July 2009, Dr Marchand in Rhode Island. The first doc I saw didn't do BHR's so he discouraged me also, that's a typical tactic when they don't do the BHR. I'm thankful I didn't listen to him.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    BHR surgeons seem to be more common on the coasts and none in the midwest or I would have given it more consideration.

I ski a lot and went to a respected ortho in Aspen, that treats a lot of skiers. I told him that he didn't have a chance in hell of doing my procedure. But if he had to have one, which would he choose?
    So, that's what I'm doing.

Good Luck with yours. Hopefully we will both be sporting the same hips for a long,long time!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Had a THR on Monday, March 11th. Also debated between the BHR and THR and went with the THR b/c of metal-on-metal questions without answers. My doc does both THR and BHR. When asked, he said that if it was his hip, he would go with the THR, as the side effects are known and can be resolved. In addition, my implant is modular, so that any revision is far less complicated as the cup liner and ball can be removed without removing the cup or spike.

Low Pressure: how's recovery going? Looks like you are exactly one month ahead of me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey, y'all. All I can say is, follow the advice of your surgeon and physical therapist regarding getting back on the bike, no matter how conservative the time frame seems to you!
    Last edited by June Bug; 03-16-2013 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member

Total Hip Replacement

I had a THR back on Feb 6; I rode the day before surgery and feel that I could be riding again right now but instead I'm in the gym almost daily alternating with an hour on an exercycle and an hour walking on the treadmill. I'm also balancing on a balance ball for 15 minutes which is incredibly helpful for working the small muscles in the hips.

I started PT one week after surgery but quickly felt that I had gleaned enough to recover on my own and my surgeon (Chris Cox - SF CalPacific) concurred.

My mechanics walking have just about returned to perfection but it causes much more lingering discomfort than riding. Cox advised me that this is normal and due to the impact and the fact that there is a differentiation in bone density between the bone with the prosthetic and the bone below it which needs time to become stronger. In fact the bone below the prosthetic is getting stronger as the discomfort is traveling down my leg and I anticipate it going away in another week or two (fingers crossed!)

Keep healing guys and I expect that you'll be riding sooner than you anticipate!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I returned to riding about three weeks post op. It's been really icy here, so I've been taking it pretty easy. Started on the road, then a rail trail and now I'm just starting single track again.
    I still walk with a slight limp.
    I did ten PT sessions and did as many of those exercise as I could at home daily. I have a treadmill at home and I'm swimming 4-5 times a week and taking an Aquafit class at the local park district.
    Thinking of going skiing closing weekend in Aspen, but I'll only go if conditions are really good and I'll probably stick to groomers.