Rogue Exterminator

Torn rotator cuff

Well did it in last weekend at Tsali and pretty sure it is torn pretty bad.
    Went to the sports clinic on Wed, they gave me a sling which I feel does nothing but aggravate it more. My MRI is scheduled for tomorrow and the actual doctor visit is Thurs morning.

I am guessing surgery will be inevitable.

Anyways, I know it will be a while before I am hucking gnarly single track again. I am hoping won't be too long tough before I can at least hit gravel roads.

Who else has suffered this injury, what was done and how long before you recovered?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wait tilll you find out what the damage is. I crashed a skateboard ( at 37 down hilling, so i knew better) and tore the infraspinatus, supraspinatus and glenoid, five years ago. I am as good as it will get and that is only 80% of the range of strength and movement I had before the accident.

Prepare for the worst and rejoice when the doc says it's not so bad. All I can say is DO THE THERAPY, before and after surgery. good luck with the recovery.

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Torn rotator cuff

I tore my rotator cuff and my bicep just under the tendon that connects the bicep to te shoulder a year ago.
    I waited a while before seeing my dr. Did the MRI and exams but the ortho just recommended physical therapy no surgery.
    I'm glad that no surgery was needed. The only thing is do the exercises to strengthen your arm. You won't get it all back but you'll heal quicker than I have. I still can feel my injury even after a year

Rogue Exterminator
    It is amazing how much more motion I have after a week.
    Last week I would have expected the worse. This week I have a little hope.
    I do however know it will take a long time to fully heal and that loss of motion is most likely going to happen.

I would say this is probably the sh!ttiest injury every.
    Worse than any broken bone and I have had my share.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I had this. My Dr said that going to therapy would not work, as I had to do therapy 5 times a day, for 10 minutes. This lasted 5 weeks. When my shoulder gets a little tight (probably unrelated to initial injury) I do the excercises once or twice and good again. After 3 yrs I am pain free, unless I sleep on shoulder for too many hours.

Grab your bad shoulder wrist behind your back for 10 seconds. Then put your bad shoulder biceps against your ear ( like a dive into a pool, use both arms ) for 10 seconds. Alternate these 2 stretches for 10 minutes. Do this 10 minute session 5 times a day. At first I could not reach these positions but got better during first week. I did it in am, during commute to work, lunch break, drive home, after dinner watching tv.

Rogue Exterminator
    It ended up not being a tear in the rotator cuff but was something similar.
    I have most my motion back and am riding again. One doc suggested surgery, the other did not. The recovery from surgery sounded worse then a non-surgical recovery. I really got the impression the first doc was trying to sell me on the idea of surgery to pad his pay check and not actually help me.

Either way surgery at this point is out of the question because the recovery time would leave me out of work for too long and I do not have short term disability yet.

mtbr member
    Do a google search on rotator cuff exercises to strengthen those muscles.
    Very easy to do and prevent a lot of issues
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1