mtbr member
    Jul 2006

torn meniscus how long will I be out?

Just had an op yesterday to remove part of my torn meniscus in my knee. Anybody done anything similar and able to give me an idea as to timescales as to getting back on the bike again.

mountain biker
    I've had the same surgery, and a second surgery to rebuild my torn ACL. Both times I tried to get back on the bike ASAP. After my ACL surgery I was on a stationary bike within 3 days. I think it took me about one week to ride my bike gently around the neighbourhood. I think I was commuting to work (6 kms) about a week after that, and riding off road within 5-6 weeks. Be gentle, mix it up with lots of rest and ice, and don't be shy of ibuprofen to control inflamation.

Good luck with your recovery...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

Master of None
    Just a torn meniscus is not bad at all. There is not much that needs healing. I was riding mountain as soon as my bandages were off, a week after surgery.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Just had mine done

It will be three weeks and six days and I will try to hit the trails tomorrow for the first trail ride.I've been doing easy flat 13 to 15 mile road bike rides to just get back into it and not strees my knee.It is still stiff in the morning but loosens up as the day wears on.But I'm 52 and age is a factor I'm sure in anyones recovery rate.It was weird looking at the inside of my knee when I did my first post op aqppointment with the doc.Not a torn meniscus.It looked more frayed.
    Good luck
    LS

Master of None
    Yeah I watched while they were inside there. The meniscus looked like a stretched out cotton ball. They said it had delaminated.