mtbr member

tore my MCL, looking for a trainer...

So there I was, just skiing along, and then it happened. Caught an edge and went tumbling. Mid way thru the fall, I feel something that just isn't right and hurts like a SOB. Once the tumbling stops, I check my self out and it's luckily in place. The bright side is that I finally got a ride in those cool orange sleds Ski Patrolies are always towing around. Well now my ski season is toast and any winter riding plans are shot.
    So what has been you MTBRr's experience on surgery and recovery? Also, what should I be looking for in an indoor bike trainer. I figure it will help with therapy, both on the knee and my soul for giving my bike some winter love.
    Thanks
    J

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You'll get votes for mag trainers, for fluid trainers, for rollers, for trainers with lots of adjustments. When I broke my wrist I bought a Performance Travel Trac Century 5 Fluid. Here's a link to maybe the one like it they make today.

I paid around $130. I read the reviews for the one in the link and if it is like the one I have, just read the positive reviews. I put on a rear slick, mounted my 2007 Superlight, adjusted for pressure on the tire and it worked great. I still ride it.

Travel Trac Comp Fluid Trainer - Cycling Trainers
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I've torn my ACL and cycling was a great way to rehab it. That's how I got introduced to cycling and I'm pretty glad it happened now. Surgery, in my case, resulted in a knee immobilizer for a few weeks and then crutches for a few more. It wasn't recommended I play sports for about a year afterwards as it took that long to completely heal. I'm sure you can spin about a month afterwards though. I have a trainer that looks almost identical to the one you listed there and it has worked just fine for me.

mtbr member
    So we ended up getting the Nashbar adjustable fluid trainer. Nashbar was running a 20% off deal so it was $160 plus shipping. The setup is pretty simple. My surgery was this past week so I haven't been on it yet. We will see how the recovery goes. On the plus side, I do have a new frame waiting to be built up once I am mobile again. New frame + gobs of computer time = empty bank account.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Tore my ACL and Meniscus on both sides (all on the same knee). Had surgery a year ago November. I biked 4,000 miles last year not including the trainier miles I logged during the first couple of months of rehab. They replaced my ACL with on e of my hamstring tendons from the same leg. The hamstring has been that part that has taken the longest to gain strength back.

Do what your Doctor says and take the rehab serious and you will be back going strong before you know it.

mtbr member
    I tore my ACL and cycling is hands down the best way to rehab. Second would be running in a swimming pool if you have access to one. I have a trainer for sale currently and I am not looking for much $$. It has a from tire mount and works great to getting your knee back in shape. Let me know...