mtbr member

Topic : Crashing

I am in my late 50's and recently have been having problems crashing. If I ride late in the day everything seems to be ok, but if I ride early in the morning I have problems focusing and my riding is less controlled. I have crashed two weeks in a row on my favorite trail that I ride frequently. Fortunately nothing really serious however it does take longer to recover. Anyone have similar experience, or is it just old age doing it's thing? Maybe the body takes longer in the morning to get going. The thing is I enjoy riding early in the morning.

Warrior's Society
    Could be th trail you are riding. If you normally ride a trail in the afternoon, the light conditions are pretty consistent. I you then ride that same trail early in the morning once in a while, the light conditions are completely different. This may be causing some of the problem......Rita are harder to see, trail looks hardpack, but is soft.

I have a local trail that I usually ride at night or early evening, so I am used to it. When I do go out and ride it early in the day, I do tend to struggle a bit more with it.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

banned
    May 2012
    Hit the ground as loose as possible and don't tense up if you roll

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungConnoisseur View Post
    Hit the ground as loose as possible and don't tense up if you roll
    Yes the upside is I am getting pretty good at rolling upon impact, and fortunately I have not hit any rocks.

Endo King
    Are you fueled enough? Well hydrated? What's your level of conditioning? Just throwing those out there. You're right, us older types take a bit more to rebound but there is no reason why we can't be better condition to aid in recovery from our tumbles. FWIW, I'm not to far behind you and in addition to biking, I'm doing other condition with home workouts.

Keep on keepin' on...

PS. The last ride I went OTB 2 times. I lost my line, tire dropped off on the soft stuff and over the bars I went. Tuck and roll and go loose.
    "I didn't surrender. They took my horse and made him surrender..."
    -Chief Lone Watie

Official Cooler Inspector
    Two of my worst falls I blame on having too much tire pressure for the conditions. In another case, I knew my rear shock needed to be pumped up a bit and forgot to do it. Got bucked... Another thing that happens is riding "favorite trails" and getting complacent about your route. I try to mix up my rides with doing opposite directions or imagining new things to avoid (that stick is a snake, that rock is a bottle). It helps.
    JF:That's the bootleg I have been looking for my whole life!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, I never used to crash then I got to a "certain age" and I started crashing all the time. It seemed like my balance just wasn't what it used to be or something. Maybe reflexes were slower? I kept getting more and more timid and still crashed more than ever.

The way I see it, you can't go on forever.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Are you a morning person?

I never ride in the early morning since I'm not a morning person, I like to ride afternoon or later.

@ Mos Eisley Cantina
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    Anyone have similar experience, or is it just old age doing it's thing? Maybe the body takes longer in the morning to get going. The thing is I enjoy riding early in the morning.
    Only if i don't have my coffee. But i also bike commute to work, so that could play into it.

official eMpTyBRain
    Our bodies are "warmed up and loose" after a day's worth of activities. So are our senses. Morning rides are commonly harder on us...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation