Thread: tkr

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

tkr

anyone have a total knee replacement?What did recovery entail,how long results?Thanks

Arbitration Reporting
    Dec 2012
    what is this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    total knee replacement

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Depends on a whole host of factors. Post op rehab is key and getting full extension is paramount. The right medication will allow your PT to get the manual done that needs to be done. I see several patients that tried to do it with minimal meds and ended up wishing they had more when I get working on their knee. Or people who tried to stay comfortable post op and put a pillow under their knee, only to develop a contracture that limited their extenision by 10 degrees. Get a PT involved early. Get to outpatient PT fast. Work hard and it can be a quick ordeal. Get lazy, and it can take a while. I will tell you it is going to hurt....a lot...for a long time and it is not going to be as good as new once it heals. But it will be better than pain with everything. It is not as simple as it sounds and the swelling can take up to a year to stop. Quite simply it is carpentry on the joint.

Not trying to scare you, I just hate how uninformed some of my patients are when they see me post op. TKA's suck, but once they get better the outcomes are pretty good for most people.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    To actually answer your question though, recovery usually entails controlling swelling, restoring range of motion as fast as possible, normalizing gait patterns, and as rapid of a return to function as possible. Usually can take 1-2 months to get to a fairly independent point. Results are dependent on what was discussed in my earlier post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks for the information pwrtrainer I am scheduled the 28th of this month and will heed your advice