Trail Addict

Tips for Knees...trying to avoid surgery.

Im going to try and shorten this as much as I can.

1. 2 years ago had 40% disc removal on L5-S1. I'm probably 85% what I was. Need to strengthen my legs and lower back muscles more.

2. In 07 I hyper extended a ligament in my knee and was to,d it would just heal. Few years ago, when I really use my knee a lot, it gets tiny swelling and I can't straighten it all the way. After back surgery and losing some weight and stretching it has gotten a little better. It gets pretty sore but hasn't gotten swollen where I can't straighten but I haven't really pushed it either.

3. I'm 28,5'9 currently 191 lbs. I want to be 180. After back surgery I was 219. I do stretches twice a day throughout my whole body. Before surgery I was normally 204-208

4. I own a mobile automotive detailing company and worm semi-part time at a restaurant.

5. I've tried fish oil and bananas but the fish oil made me cramp like crazy.

6. I'm sure my knee needs a cleaning, and I have health insurance but with my busy season coming up and honestly I can't afford to miss more then 2 weeks of work.

i will be doing 20-30 minute bike rides starting in two weeks, but i want to be able to bike for 1-2 hours,what are some good stretches, food, drinks so help keep it loose? Or should I just figure out how to afford the surgery?

Im going to be buying some better shoes to use at the restaurant and probably some good shoes for riding.

Thank You tons!
    #JdubGriff
    KHS Comp St Hybrid

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Condolences on the bum knee. Sounds like you are recovering and in better shape now than before.

Are you an experienced cyclist? Has your knee swelled after bike rides in the past? Is it impact that bothers your knee? Torque? Other stresses?

Not to ruffle any feathers, but I don't believe there are homeopathic panaceas for this kind of stuff. Your knee might never be the same, but I would imagine that a combination of low-impact exercise (regular use) and reduced load (lower weight) would help maintain its long-term viability.

Also, using an easier gear for seated climbs should reduce the stress on your knee. I am fortunate enough to have fairly healthy knees, but I can still feel a little strain if I use too difficult a gear while remaining seated on a difficult climb. In such cases, it's probably better to downshift or stand up (although some people claim mashing/hammering is also tough on their knees).

I'm obviously not a doctor, so read the above with several grains of salt.

Happy trails,

HDP