mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Thumb Torn Ligament

Tore the short lig in my right thumb that controls grip.

Went from soft cast to hard splint, will be out for 10 weeks - bummer......

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I can relate! Had the same surgery 10 days ago. Just got stiches out and still have pin with splint on hand. How long do you have to wait to get pin out? I have been told 4 more weeks. I can't believe this happended right when the season just started. Couln't have happened in December! Now I get to watch people heading to and from the trails as I sit drink beer and get out of shape!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Pins usually stay in for a month, maybe less depending on how the healing is going and how the xrays look. I tore up the ligaments and all of my fingers and fractured my distil radius. I had to have 2 pins in my wrist for a month and the worst thing was when i got out of the operation i didnt know pins were in there, so i started feelin a pain underneath the bandage and didnt know what it was. Turns out the pin ends were rubbing the splint( most irritating pan ever). Told the doctor 2 days later and he took off the huge bandage and just wrapped it up with a little thinner bandage. What relief. Having them pins in there is very dis-comforting, but they do look really gnarly. And left a lil snake-bite looking scar. Oh and when they pull the pins out, my god does it feel weird, painful but weird. Kind of like in the movies when you see someone pull a knife or arrow out and the person just screams in pain. Anyway good luck though, recovering is so boring and tedious because the pins pretty much lock the wrist in place, so it gets real stiff and is unable to move when they are pulled out. Just make sure you stick to the PT workout. I wasnt assiged a PT, the doctor left it up to me to do little hand exercises. I have been doing them and its been 4 months since my surgery and my wrist is pretty solid. Its tight still and cant bend like it used to, but i can still ride hard and dont feel any pain from it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Your description of having the pin removed is making me real excited.. I had the same pain with the one pin I have. The end was very sharp and pressed into my hand. I had to pry the pin up a bit so that I could put a thin bandage between the pin and my hand. Much better since. Get my pin out July 1st! I will definately do the PT as often as I can so that I can ride sooner!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yea when they pull the pin out it is the biggest relief ever. After theyre taken out and you can somewhat rub your wrist and start to move it again in ways that it hasnt been moved in a while and its just pure bliss. Only thing i hated is that when they pulled my pins out, he put me right into a hard cast i hate casts and was so happy that i only had a splint during the begining weeks, because a splint can be removed to let you arm and hand air out, the cast however makes it difficult to do anything. And then it gets all smelly and sticky and you just want to rip it off lol. Anyways good luck!