mtbr member
    Sep 2006

thinking of riding this weekend, 7 wks post surgery

I had a really bad endo and broke my wrist back on 12/26.
    THe doc did an ORIF, or open reduction internal fixation surgical procedure on 1/3,
    putting in a titanium plate with 9 screws. The wrist feels pretty good now, no pain,
    getting most of the mobility back, I think it might be time to try a light ride, as long as dont fall on it, I should be ok.

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    I had a really bad endo and broke my wrist back on 12/26.
    THe doc did an ORIF, or open reduction internal fixation surgical procedure on 1/3,
    putting in a titanium plate with 9 screws. The wrist feels pretty good now, no pain,
    getting most of the mobility back, I think it might be time to try a light ride, as long as dont fall on it, I should be ok.
    Sorry to hear about your injury. I had a really bad ligament tearing fall 3 years ago after getting a new bike; not wrist, but elbow. Even after 3 years I'm still careful about things as my elbow is more susceptible to further damage.

Before my injury I would get down on myself for not being more aggressive. I still ride stuff that's not completely safe, but if I'm not feeling it on a particular day, I'm not too proud to walk.

Not sure you need my advice here, but just take it slow. Also, try to ride only with people who understand that you're coming back from an injury. My old biking "buddies" would try to take me down some of the same scary stuff. It was embarrassing to have to get off my bike and walk down while they waited at the bottom for me (such dix!). I ended up changing riding groups for a while.

Anyway, take care

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    Sorry to hear about your injury. I had a really bad ligament tearing fall 3 years ago after getting a new bike; not wrist, but elbow. Even after 3 years I'm still careful about things as my elbow is more susceptible to further damage.

Before my injury I would get down on myself for not being more aggressive. I still ride stuff that's not completely safe, but if I'm not feeling it on a particular day, I'm not too proud to walk.

Not sure you need my advice here, but just take it slow. Also, try to ride only with people who understand that you're coming back from an injury. My old biking "buddies" would try to take me down some of the same scary stuff. It was embarrassing to have to get off my bike and walk down while they waited at the bottom for me (such dix!). I ended up changing riding groups for a while.

Anyway, take care
    Yeah, thanks for the advice. For my first ride this weekend, I'm just gonna try
    some rolling singletrack, any rocky downhill sections I'll get off and walk for now. I've been told it takes bones 8-12 wks to heal completely. I've ordered some arm/elbow gards that I can wear on the more AM type rides, so that the
    next time I crash, I can crash on those. I don't care if I look like a nerd.
    Being sidelined this long due to injury sux