Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

There are two types of riders...

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  blindsquirrel 
#1 ·
So this past year I was visiting my friend during the TdF. While sitting and drinking beers one night he turned and said, 'there are two kinds of bike riders - those that have broken a collarbone and those that havent, yet.'

So Im now one of the former. Been 2 weeks since I went OTB and somehow didnt roll out of it properly. Doc says I'll be in the restraint 5-6 weeks while it heals. Anyone out there broken a CB before? How long were you out - and more importantly how long till you started riding (regurlarly) again. Wanted to hear from some who have 'been there, done that'

(Did a search on this and got nothin much in the first few pages)

#2 ·
Been There! Done That!

over corrected in the sand and did an endo into a stump, that left a mark!

Just the far side of six weeks and I'm just getting back on, not 100% yet but getting there, sore after a ride but you don't notice while in the saddle. Actually was a blessing to break it and get out of the saddle for the time, I was having some nerve issues in my wrist and the Dr. said it looks to be a ton better since I've had my wrist immobilized since I broke the collarbone. I healed up a lot quicker in my 20's, 35 now and don't bounce like I used to.

#3 ·
I did one (but not while riding)...compression fracture after a couple guys tripped and fell onto me, driving my shoulder into a hard metal surface.

It took about a month until I was able to start doing "regular" type stuff....and about 6 weeks before I was in a condition where I would have tried riding (though I wasn't riding much at that point).

#8 ·
Broke the left clavicle in a crash a couple years ago, four pieces lots O pain, I figured they surgeon would fix it with pins and screws but he just used the bracing strap and that's it! It healed up just fine except the left bone is shorthened about 3/8". The key to healing it fast is to avoid diet soda and antacids as they contain calcium carbonate which I'm told prevents absorbtion of calcium. The first three weeks I had no bone healing from eating alot of "Tum's w/calcium" because the pain killers upset my stomach. Did some research on it and avoided the items mentioned while also taking a Calcium/Vitamin D and Vitamin K supplement, it worked like magic! I have broken alot of bones in my life including arm three times and neck vertebrae I wouldn't wish the CB break on anyone. Total healing time to normal was about 5 weeks, don't try to come back too fast as the material your body first applies to the fracture site is a somewhat flexible material which gives the shoulder some mobility but don't push it or it hurts like hell and sets you back, wait til you have an xray that shows calcification of the fracture, I work for an orthopaedic company so if I break it again I'll try to get an employee discount on a titanium replacement or should I go carbon fiber?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.