mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Upset Terrible accident, lesson learned! or maybe not!!!!

Ive been having some issues about "bike safety" with my 10 year old son, he cant stand wearing his helmet, I'm on his a$$ all the time about it. some of his friends ride without one so he thinks he shouldn't have to, and that I'm overreacting

Last night around 5:30pm I heard the sound of tires screeching coming from the street out front, I thought It was just some 20 year old cool guy spinning they're tires we hear that a lot but after a minute or two I started hearing Fire trucks Police, and ambulances. I went out front to see this!!!!

Now if your wondering why i would take pics of such a terrible-thing, its because my son and I, need a reminder of how important it is to have a "brain bucket" on your head is!!!! this little boy was not wearing a helmet when hes head smashed into the front of a van!!!
    Last edited by lubricus; 09-02-2007 at 09:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Im praying that hes OK, but It didnt sound to good I heard the paramedics say the word "air ambulance" I didnt see the boy myself he was just being loaded into the ambulance when I got there.

I slept in this-morning, I had to-many beers at a friend birthday party last night, so when I got up I asked my son if he would go to the store for me to get me some coffee, when he got back home I was already down stairs, he went to the *#%@ing store on his bike and wasn't wearing his helmet

40 & Fast
    Our Prayers are with you.
    Ride hard, Drag the broken pieces back, Share lusty tales of adventure & Tell everyone, " I almost stuck the landing".

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    (copy/paste)
    Child cyclist struck by van in southend
    Police say boy has very serious injuries

Standard Staff
    Local News - Saturday, September 01, 2007 Updated @ 7:53:55 PM

A St. Catharines boy was in hospital with "very serious" injuries Saturday night after colliding with a van while riding his bicycle on Rykert Street.

The Niagara Regional Police collision reconstruction unit was investigating on the scene, near the Churchill Street intersection.

Det. Const. Mike Waters said the boy was on his bike on the north side of Rykert Street around 5:20 p.m. when he crossed the road in front of the van.

"The driver didn't see him until the last second," Waters said.

The impact threw the boy forward and out of a shoe. Neighbours rushed to his aid with blankets and towels until paramedics arrived.

One nearby resident said the boy was awake as neighbours spoke to him. "He was crying and moaning but he was bleeding heavily from his nose and ears," David Campbell said. "They just tried to keep him conscious."

The boy's age was unknown, but police estimated it to be around 10 years old.

Police said he was not wearing a helmet.

mtbr member
    I hope the child hit recovers from his injuries, scary thing to hear.

Maybe you can influence your son this way; if you catch him not wearing his helmet, he loses his bike priviledges for a period of time; just take the bike away from him. Each time you catch him, the time period gets longer. Likewise, each time you find him wearing it without having to be told, reward him. Or each if he goes a month wearing the helmet everything he rides, he gets X or gets to do Y with you. Just a thought, good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    I hope the child hit recovers from his injuries, scary thing to hear.

Maybe you can influence your son this way; if you catch him not wearing his helmet, he loses his bike priviledges for a period of time; just take the bike away from him. Each time you catch him, the time period gets longer. Likewise, each time you find him wearing it without having to be told, reward him. Or each if he goes a month wearing the helmet everything he rides, he gets X or gets to do Y with you. Just a thought, good luck.
    That's good advice, thanks I think I'll do just that hes out now with his helmet on his head where it belongs

mtbr member

Chilling....

So sad to hear. I hope he/she recovers. Perhaps others can learn from this. Just look at the large head shaped dent made just above the driver side headlight! That does not look good at all as it takes a lot to create a dent like that along a reinforced area.

Buy your child a really good quality well ventilated lid! Don't spare the expense and let him pick out the color, etc.

Whenever I see a kid wearing a skid lid, I compliment him on his cool helmet!

In the early days it was hard to wear a lid as they were so hot with no vents. The new designs with all the vents actually are pretty cooling and with integrated visor are more comfortable for me in the summer than without. When I stop I always leave the lid on with the visor.

Peace
    C.SPRINGS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubricus
    Im praying that hes OK, but It didnt sound to good I heard the paramedics say the word "air ambulance" I didnt see the boy myself he was just being loaded into the ambulance when I got there.

I slept in this-morning, I had to-many beers at a friend birthday party last night, so when I got up I asked my son if he would go to the store for me to get me some coffee, when he got back home I was already down stairs, he went to the *#%@ing store on his bike and wasn't wearing his helmet
    Before he left, did you say something like "and considering that kid nearly died yesterday for not wearing his helmet, don't forget yours?"
    :wq

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CSPRINGS
    So sad to hear. I hope he/she recovers. Perhaps others can learn from this. Just look at the large head shaped dent made just above the driver side headlight! That does not look good at all as it takes a lot to create a dent like that along a reinforced area.
    the dents not showing up very well in the pics, i used a very cheep camera, plus I was trying to be discreet, I felt as if I was doing something wrong by taking pics of something this tragic. but by looking at the dent "in person" you really could tell where his head hit

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Before he left, did you say something like "and considering that kid nearly died yesterday for not wearing his helmet, don't forget yours?"
    I thought we had a good talk yesterday well we were standing behind the "police tape"! I really didnt think I needed to remind him today, the accident really seemed to shake him up. I dont think ether one of are brains were awake this-morning so I didnt come down to hard on him.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    That bike is pretty mangled. Can't even imagine what the kid looks like...

Double-metric mtb man
    Where I live, it is law that those under 18 must wear a helmet when riding a bike. I'm with Skunkty on this...if you're caught drinking and driving, the cops here take away your license for 24 hrs. I'd say use the same principle on the boy. Good behaviour gets a reward and bad choices have consequences.

I hope the youngster who got hit recovers fully and quickly....and that the local kids take the lesson to heart and ride with their helmets.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

LCI #1853
    Where a helmet might not help much if you get your whole body hit by a car, every bit of protection to your brain helps. Some folks feel that wearing a helmet actually promotes risk-taking by the wearer.

Wear your helmet... but ride like you don't.

Tom

Out there
    Aug 2006
    My kids are really good about wearing their helmets... we bought them biking gloves as well and they see it as part of the 'gear'... they feel cool. My 8 year old has fingerless and full finger gloves and changes them depending on whether he's riding cross country or dirt jumping! He also changes into long pants to bike. The flipside is that we don't yell at him about doing 'dangerous' things on his bike. That's the whole point!
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Joyful reunion turns tragic; Mexican worker seeking refugee status over health woes now dealing with son critically injured in cycling accident

KARENA WALTER
    Local News - Thursday, September 06, 2007 @ 01:00

Hermelindo Gutierrez waited a year and a half for a reunion with his wife and children, only to have his patience met with tragedy.

A seasonal worker from Mexico, Gutierrez has been stuck in St. Catharines since his kidneys failed in spring 2005. He must be hooked up to a dialysis machine three times a week.

Visits with his family are rare since it's expensive for his wife Fanny, their 11-month-old baby Sebastian, 13-year-old daughter Sayuri and nine-year-old son Sergio to travel to see their father.

So when they arrived Aug. 29 with the financial help of friends, it was supposed to be a joyful month-long reunion.

"It was great, the time that I had with all of them," Gutierrez said Wednesday in Spanish, translated by an English-speaking friend. "We went to the park. We all played football."

On Saturday, three days after his family arrived from Mexico, Sergio was riding a bicycle when he collided with a minivan on Rykert Street.

Now, the family is keeping vigil in the pediatric intensive care unit at Hamilton Health Sciences' McMaster University site.

"We're all taking turns being with him," Gutierrez said, speaking from his room at Ronald McDonald House in Hamilton.

"Sometimes me, sometimes my wife, sometimes my daughter."

Surgeons have removed bone from Sergio's skull to relieve pressure caused by the swelling of his brain.

A friend said the extent of Sergio's brain injury is unknown because he has been kept sedated.

While Gutierrez speaks broken English, he and his family have been assisted by friends in dealing with the language barrier. As well, there's a nurse sometimes on shift who speaks Spanish.

The family is focused on Sergio, but Gutierrez still requires dialysis treatment every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

He had to come back to St. Catharines Monday for the four-hour treatment at Niagara Health System's Ontario Street site, but was trying to arrange for treatment in Hamilton Wednesday.

Gutierrez came to Ontario nine years ago to work through the seasonal agricultural workers program run by the Canadian and Mexican governments. He would stay for eight months of the year and then go back home.

For the last several years, he worked at Pioneer Flower Farms on Seventh Street in St. Catharines.

Leaving his family for long periods wasn't easy, but the higher wages in Canada meant he could start building their dream home in Mexico.

He had the walls up and roof put on by March 2005, when he started to experience pain in his feet, which turned out to be a symptom of kidney failure. Since then, he's had to stop working, and now he depends on dialysis machines.

Gutierrez has claimed refugee status in Canada so he can continue treatment here, afraid he will die if he goes back to Mexico and can't afford to pay for dialysis.

Because he worked in Canada for eight months of the year, paying taxes and employment insurance, he isn't covered by health insurance in Mexico.

Gutierrez told The Standard in December his problems would be solved if he could afford a kidney transplant. Then he could work and travel to Mexico again.

He has 10 siblings willing to be tested to donate their kidneys, but they cannot afford the operation, which would have to be funded privately.

His dialysis is covered by the federal government's interim program for refugee claimants.

It's unknown how his son's medical costs will be paid.

He's still waiting to find out what will happen with his refugee claim, but for now, his priority is his son's recovery.

Police said Sergio was riding a BMX bike on the north side of the street around 5:15 p.m. when he crossed the road in front of a GMC Safari van. The impact threw him forward and knocked him out of his shoes. He was taken to hospital in critical condition. His condition was unchanged Wednesday.

"We had planned to go to Marineland and just to spend time together after so long apart," Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez said his daughter Sayuri made a painting of her brothers and parents on Tuesday. It shows them playing football together like they did at the Ontario Street park before Sergio's accident.

"She wants to hang it up in his hospital room."

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    This kind of limp crap is exactly the reason American children are just slightly better than worthless lately.

Rewarding them for doing the right thing? That's idiotic. Doing the right thing is expected behavior and deserves no reward beyond their continued breathing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    This kind of limp crap is exactly the reason American children are just slightly better than worthless lately.

Rewarding them for doing the right thing? That's idiotic. Doing the right thing is expected behavior and deserves no reward beyond their continued breathing.
    I think Ive seen your kind trolling around on the forums before. Im guessing (after reviewing all your posts) that you're stay here will more then likely be a short one

Higher Exploration
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Where I live, it is law that those under 18 must wear a helmet when riding a bike. I'm with Skunkty on this...if you're caught drinking and driving, the cops here take away your license for 24 hrs. I'd say use the same principle on the boy. Good behaviour gets a reward and bad choices have consequences.

I hope the youngster who got hit recovers fully and quickly....and that the local kids take the lesson to heart and ride with their helmets.

Wow, 24 hours is NOTHING for a DUI. Colorado must be pretty hardcore compared to other places. Here you lose it for 3 months, then a year, then 5 YEARS!! But thats for repeat offenders. Still though, 24 hours? Thats nothing!

Higher Exploration
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr

So I suppose you posting this idiotic pea-brained crap is considered good behavior? Ask your daddy to give you a good spanky for that one, little boy. And this happened in Canada, not the US. If you remember, *******s like yourself dont pick on Canadian people, its just not as "cool" as talking **** about people in the United States. Moron.