mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tennis Elbow - tendonititis that morphed into tendonosis

Has anyone successfully treated tendonosis in their forearm. I have the classic tennis elbow issue that started as tendonitis and from my reading I think has morphed into tendonosis. Per PT I've been doing eccentric loading of the forearm using the Theraband Flex bar and Tyler Twist (Thera-Band Flexbar "Tyler Twist" exercise for Tennis Elbow - YouTube) protocol for creating and isolated eccentric movement.

I've also been digging into it with deep tissue massage trying to break up the fibrous knots. This is also a good article with a suggested protocol for attacking the problem:
    Bodybuilding.com - The Truth About Tendon Pain.

Mountain biking aggravates it due to the shock from the trail on the forearm and arm pump from braking.

I'm tempted to get the Arm Aid (http://www.armaid.com/) to enable easier deep tissue manipulation.

Any advice on how you've beat it would be appreciated.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    ^ Looks like you got it covered. Maybe some air shocks and hydraulic brakes can reduce the shock and stresses on your arms. I'm experiencing tennis elbow too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I used to work out my forearms rather intensely a few years ago. I got tendonitis from that. At the time, I could work through the pain, but would get a shocking sensation when I picked up a gallon of milk or even my baby girl. I took a few months off from the gym and it healed.

Recently, I purchased some Ergon grips for my bike. I guess the LBS that installed the grips mistakenly kept the left grip adjusted slightly at a more downward angle than the grip on the right. Half way thru my second ride with those grips the tendonitis came back mildly.

In an abundance of caution, I took a month and a half off from working out and cut riding down to once a week. Hit biceps at the gym last week and the tendon got inflamed. Some of my doctor friends told me to get a cortisone injection. I plan to do that. The icing and advil helps, but I'm gonna give the cortisone injection a shot and see what happens.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I had surgery on mine 20 years ago, and have been more than pleased with the result. tried to nurse it along for a couple years, but it just got worse and worse. Cortisone shots relieved pain for a couple months at a time, but after 8 of them, it was time to get it properly fixed. Straps helped immensely, but I needed the ones with the metal parts as I would snap the plastic ones when doing something strenuous. I also wore them for a year or so after the surgery just to be safe. Haven't used them for many years.

Pushing on the spot only provided very short term relief. My arms were getting to the point that they were pretty much useless before I finally relented and had the surgery. They are good to go now twenty years later. Good luck.