mtbr member

Tendonitis in lateral posterior right knee...Why?? Am I doing something wrong?

Hey All,

I have recently started mtn biking and while loving it, the tendon in my right lateral posterior knee is not. (specifically the tendon of the biceps femoris muscle--which is that big tendon you can pinch on the lateral part of your posterior knee) At first it was no problem but now as soon as I start to climb, it starts to hurt. Now it hurts even on flats and seems to take longer to get better.

Question I have for you out there with the experience is what I am doing wrong? Is it my seat height? pedalling technique?? Body position? My other knee is just fine, and I am not that old (37) and am in pretty good shape. Sure do hope I am doing something wrong as I would hate it to be just the body failing already

Thanks for help in advance.

mtbr member

Bike Fit

Get a bike fit. I've had tendinitis problems on and off for ten years. Finally did what everyone told me to do and got a professional bike fit. This has helped immensely. Ask around (maybe the forum for your state) to get recommendations in your local area.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
    For starters, make sure your seat is back far enough. Rough rule is line up the front of the patella in a vertical line with the center of the pedal when you're foot is on it in pedaling position and the pedals are level. If it's in front of it (seat too far ahead) you'll get pain. Not sure if it's where you have it, but it's worth ruling out.

You're not wearing out yet.
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."