mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Temp loss of my sweetheart.

So my wife was starting to ride with me!!!!

She was getting so she kept up during the climb, at times even wanting to take the lead.

Then it all came undone...

We were on a small down hill, We had just stopped and we reviewed the proper place to keep weight, light on the brakes etc etc.. she went over the handlebars about 2 minutes later.

Diagnosis: Where the tendon attaches (to the lesser tubercle of the left shoulder), has broken off with the tendon still attached. Surgery scheduled for Friday the 27 of July.

I have no idea on recovery/rehab time, but she has mentioned she wants to get back on her bike soon. Anyone have any ideas how many weeks/months before she is up and at em again?

I see it as an opportunity to maybe buy her a better bike to give her a bit more confidence, and motivate her to get back up on two wheels. She is in her mid 30's and this is her FIRST sports injury EVER!!!! Poor gal.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry to hear about your wife. I have no response as to recovery time for her, but wanted to commend you on your desire to help her become a better rider and not let her get her spirits down. Good for you!

mtbr member
    My wife just went from a 10 year old hardtail to a FS 29er. Her skills, enjoyment and comfort have increased ever since. Rent her a new bike to try out and see how she likes it. Mine was determined to keep her dear HKeK until she rode the rental at my insistence.

mtbr member
    Ouch, sorry to hear of your wife's accident. If you have an indoor trainer she can at least do some easy pedaling while she's recovering.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bummer. Glad to see she's actually interested in getting back on the bike! I'd ask the surgeon at one of the follow-ups about recovery and rehab time, but my guess is that it's probably going to be dependent on how she heals. Though I imagine she could pedal on a trainer before getting out and riding, there may be issues with holding on, but PT or the doc may be able to make recommendations or rig something.

I've been riding/racing for almost 7 years now and just got my first real sports injury - tore the 3 hamstring tendons from the ischium bone. I'm 1.5 weeks off surgery and have been off the bike since the accident on 6/30. I don't have any idea of my own recovery/rehab even. But, I can't pedal, so it'll be awhile. I was using crutches leading up to surgery, but have mostly been on a walker since, and am just now starting to leave the house again. My other challenge is a bad heel contusion on the *opposite* leg.

Happy healing to your wife and I hope she's out there with you again soon.

mtbr member
    I hope your wife is doing better and gets well soon. Don't know how long it will be before she's up and able to ride a bike. It depends on the injury and if needed, physical therapy. Let us know how she's doing.