Thread: Swollen hip

mtbr member

Swollen hip

I went over the bars approximately one week ago traveling around 18mph. As luck would have it my hip came crashing down directly onto a big rock. I was by myself and judging by the pain I expected my hip to be broken. I am severely bruised from about mid-thigh to just above my waist. I have a hip pointer at the top of my pelvis, but what really concerns me is the localized swelling on my hip. The pain is gone for the most part but the best way to describe the swelling is, if you took a baseball and cut it in half and then stuck that on your hip, well you get the idea. Just wondering what you guys think. Thanks.

mtbr member
    If you haven't been to the doctor, go. I did something similar and had a deep hematoma that put significant pressure on my hip joint and nerves in that area. I waited a week or ten days before giving up and going to the doctor. (I had a 4-day tour coming up and didn't want to miss it but the pain and swelling was bad and getting worse) He took me off work for two weeks, then limited duty for 6 weeks and physical therapy. I asked about doing the tour and he said "unless you rest this, it will not stop hemorrhaging--if you do that tour you will continue to bleed internally and possibly die." I skipped the tour...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Tell us you've had this looked at

and then tell what the prognosis is and how you're doing. You can't just ignore stuff like this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I really clobbered a rock with my hip last weekend. What a freak accident. I was riding the same piece of trail that I ride two or three times a week on short runs, but I was finishing up a 40 miler on a mid-90's day. Washed out on a DG turn caught myself with my right foot on the inside and pummeled hip-first into a ragged edged boulder hanging into the trail on the inside of the turn. It stopped me cold in my tracks, bone on rock. I was lucky enough to be able to get up and ride home. The swelling has gone done some, what a gnarly bruise though, I think the bleeding has mostly stopped. I rode back over there today to the scene of the crime and can't understand how I managed to crash there. Fatigue I guess, my hamstring started locking right before the spill. I'll be more careful next time I start getting delirious. Haven't been to the doc, but taking it easy for sure.
    Whatever you do, don't go over the handlebars. It hurts.

mtbr member
    Well I am a lot better now although there is still some puffiness to my hip. I never went to the doctor (hard headed). I just started taking Ibuprofen and Alieve and that seemed to help a lot. The best part is that the joint pain is gone and I can ride with no ill effects. I iced my hip everyday for the first week, did nothing for the second and started using a heating pad on the third week. After one night of using the heating pad the massive bruising started to literally disappear. My hip pointer is all but gone and I am pretty happy/lucky. Thanks guys for your input and advice.