Sweep the leg!

Swimming isn't as much fun as riding

With the cast off and the go-ahead to get the ankle wet I swam for 45 minutes yesterday and 50 minutes today. It's slow going since I'm trying not to kick with my gimpy leg. Mostly back stroke and modified breast stroke.

I'm going to borrow a pair of my daughter's goggles for this afternoon. I'f I'm going to swim twice a day I need to cut down on the chlorine in my eyes. It's a shame it's not a salt water pool.

The hard part now is resisting the urge to eat more than I need.

The hard part yesterday was getting on the scale at the Y. Before the crash I was a consistent 187 lbs. Yesterday I was 228. I would have liked to lose 10 before the crash but I'll worry about getting near 190 first.

One day at a time. Well, twice a days one day at a time if I can stand it. maybe 30 minutes in the pool and some light weights afterwards. I didn't do any weights last night or this morning. I've got an appointment with the trainer this evening so hopefully I'll do relevant training instead of spinning my wheels.

I wonder if I should take a nap?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

namagomi
    When you think of the other pool occupants, be glad it's chlorinated!

Anyways, swimming is like road riding... mostly boring, but it keeps you fit.

To keep your legs still, just toss one of those knee floaters in between ya legs or squeeze a kick board.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post

To keep your legs still, just toss one of those knee floaters in between ya legs or squeeze a kick board.
    I saw a pile of those at the pool. Thanks, I'll use one tonight.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

official eMpTyBRain
    Keep at it... recovery is on the horizon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i swam competitively for many years when i was younger and have been surfing for a while, and i would recommend using a pull buoy, and paddles if you want.

i still swim sometimes just for the exercise and i kinda enjoy it, but swimming with paddles and fins really increases the fun, being able to go really fast.

and i don't know about your exact injury, and you might want to ask your doctor or something, but i wouldn't recommend breaststroke, thats definitely the hardest on your knee imo

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by pecsokak View Post
    i swam competitively for many years when i was younger and have been surfing for a while, and i would recommend using a pull buoy, and paddles if you want.

and i don't know about your exact injury, and you might want to ask your doctor or something, but i wouldn't recommend breaststroke, thats definitely the hardest on your knee imo
    It's the ankle that's injured and yes, the orthopedist cleared me for swimming and suggested strokes. I'm not doing a true breast stroke kick. I've been letting my legs stay relatively stationary and if anything I'm moving them in unison the way a dolphin (or mermaid) moves its tail.

Last night I held a foam float between my knees and felt more stable. It's easier to swim freestyle that way too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What kind of injury you got on your ankle?

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniZg View Post
    What kind of injury you got on your ankle?
    Broken Fibula and torn Syndesmosis with a bone fusion, X-rays in here... Torn deltoid ligaments and broken fibula (Maisonneuve)

Seems like a common injury this season.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I enjoy swimming, it is not as fun as biking, but I get a more consistent cardio workout in the lap pool. If I am working out at the Y, I usually swim. I get too bored inside on bikes or on treadmills. I prefer a salt water pool as well, but our Y is chlorinated. Just be glad they don't use bromine. From my lifeguard days, I'm used to swimming without goggles and I get funny looks for not using them. A while back it really seemed to bother one guy I was sharing a lane with and he even offered sharing a spare pair he had in his bag.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    For variety you might pick up the gear for aqua jogging. Google it. You really only need the belt, but the webbed gloves help you transfer the work out into the upper body. If you pool is small you can bungie your self to a ladder or lane marketer so you can jog in place. I find AJ'ing is much less boring because your head is out of the water an you see, or you can put a radio on the deck so you have music, etc.

mtbr member
    I swam when I was laid up w bad ankle injury last year. It was all I could do so I did it a lot. Today, ankle is better but the tendonitis I developed in my shoulder (From swimmIng crawl stroke) is not.