mtbr member

Support for Weak and Repeat Torn / Twisted Ankle

I had rolled my ankle doing nothing special (as I often have before) and tore it up pretty bad.
    Got an MRI and DR says surgery is advised, I have a terrible bunion which is why I often roll it.
    I am planning to have the recommended surgery over Thanksgiving break.
    However, that's a long way off, and I need to bee active daily.

Can anyone recommend some products you have personally seen work
    well to brace my ankle in the way I need?

I am also considering getting a 8" tall lace up boot that will essentially immobilize target area while support my weak areas of ankle.
    I tried a few on and they seem to work but not perfectly, if I fell it would not keep my foot from going too far and injuring myself much worse then I am.

Specifically, I need a support that will prevent/limit my foot from raising, as when pointing toes up.

I have tried one in Walgreen's that is made for sleeping in, but it's massive and wont fit in any shoe or boot. lol
    It looks like this:

Dorsal Splint

OMG!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I have torn my ankles up a few times, and broke one a few months ago. I think you'll have a hard time finding a brace that is effective for you. Most that I found are meant to stabilize the ankle laterally.

Taping is a pain, but probably best for you. I googled "taping technique to prevent dorsiflexion", and some vids came up...

My usual disclaimer when I post in this forum: I am no doc, just shared a similar injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Thanks man. Good advice. I am probably going to make my own from parts of two braces.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I pulled the trigger on these boots, on close out sale too.
    I tried on about 20 pairs of boots and these are the best bet for me I think.

UNDER ARMOR RIDGE REAPER 8.5 HUNTING BOOTS (Black/Grey)

They hold me firm but have just a little give in the right place, they have the comfort of a running shoe from the inside, but feel as supportive (or more) as my oldschool military boots.
    I will report back if there's any complications riding with them.
    Otherwise, I should be good for the season, until I can have surgery in two months.
    I may even keep using them after the surgery, depending on the results.

mtbr member
    I have a really messed up ankle from an injury 15 years ago. 2 surgeries to date and only further treatment recommended is fusing the joint- no thanks but maybe when I'm 70. I've used about every brace over the years you just have to find one that offers the support you need for each activity. Without a doubt the best thing I've found that helps me recover from flare ups or just for general support when I know hard efforts are coming- kniesiology tape. I've used the KT Tape brand for years and I really can't express enough how often it's allowed me to remain active. They have application videos for specific injuries/body parts on their website. Most sporting good stores sell it, just make sure to get their Pro tape- it lasts much longer and is waterproof. Good luck.
    When I die I'm afraid my wife will sell all of my bikes, parts and gear for what I told her I paid for them.

mtbr member
    I tried the tape and for my injury I can not find a good method of taping it to support what I need. The only thing that seemed to help was making a tape cast lol. But the dint help me either. I need a rigid support.
    I am going to have some surgery soon I hope.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk