mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Stupid turbo trainer injury

About 1 1/2 week ago I woke up early to do some workouts in the garage on my trainer before going to work. I usually do single leg intervals on that day so thats what I started. Decided to do bigger gear spins on this day and thats when it happened. I had just started working my right leg when working on the upstroke I felt a burn go through the left side of my right knee. Had to stop working out. Waited 2 days and went for a ride. Felt some pain but for the most part it was ok so I thought. Had no problems with speed or climbing steeps. Then the area I injured started to spasm, almost like a cramp except for it was in the area of the joint of my knee. Still not right. Skipped riding for 4 days then tried it again. Got the spasm after the ride this time and I was not even pushing it. Figure I will give it a week before trying it out again. Thats what I get for using the trainer early in the morning without warming up first. Any one else had that type of knee pain before?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I'm no stranger to knee pain

I get it on the sides, under my patella or sometimes on the inside of the knee capsule. It sometimes feels like a knife is being stuck in there it's so sudden. I would never describe it as a "spasm" but it hits so hard sometimes my leg buckles and I almost fall down. We're talking either knee. It keeps me on my toes and I always have some quick comment to alarmed observers, something like "F!CK" or "AYEEE!". The docs just shrug their shoulders and say it could one of many causes, just deal with it till the pain gets so bad I can't stand it then they'll scope it and see what they can see.

I really can't say if you and I are feeling the same thing. Hopefully somebody recognizes your exact symptoms. Good luck.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett