Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stupid things that could get you hurt

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  xcguy 
#1 ·
Ok, we have a lamest injury thread and a worst injury thread. How 'bout a thread discussing really stupid things we've done on our bikes that got us injured, or could have gotten us seriously hurt?

I'll start.

This was a couple years ago. My friends and I had built a small ladder up to a rock, and another one down the rock to another rock. From the second rock was about a four foot drop to transition after about 3/4 of a bike length on the rock. One of my friends had hit it successfully several times (much more skilled than I). It was a pretty technical drop to attempt, necessitating a wheelie-drop maneuver.

Anyway, a friend and I were out riding the trail one snowy winter night. I decided that it was the time I would hit "Rocky." So, at night, in the snow, without lights, for the first time ever, I was going to hit "Rocky." Yes, you may begin laughing at the stupidity of it all :D Oh, and we did actually have lights with us. I just chose to turn it off since the moon seemed so bright.

I had never seen our other friend actually hit this drop, though my friend had. So I was not actually sure what kind of speed was best for attempting it. So I give it a couple run-ups. Then I say, "I'm going for it." I've always been pretty good about committing to a jump or drop once I'm going for it. So I go. And I basically don't wheelie or really even pull up on the bars at all as I go off the drop. (It was fairly tough, because by the time your rear wheel go off the ladder onto the rock, your front was already going off).

Straight down onto my head, as in I just flipped forward and my head was the first thing to hit the ground. Rolled right over forward from that point. Amazingly, I was uninjured, though my helmet was toast. What I couldn't believe further was that the helmet light still worked when I tried turning it on. Tough little light!

Anyway, God was watching out for me during that moment of utter stupidity.

I'm sure there are plenty of other stories out there, share with us!

See less See more
#2 ·
With all respect Jwiffle

I think this forum is for injured riders looking for support during their dark time of recovery. Humorous stories of how you almost got injured but came out just fine are great at the trailhead but anyone coming to this forum is in a world of hurt and need help. Just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.