catskillclimber

Still not healed?

I probably should have put this in one of the many other broken collar bone threads. I broke my clavicle 5 months ago and had a plate put in. I keep reading online that people heal in a few weeks but I was x-rayed again at the ortho two days ago and they said they could still see the break. The ortho doc acted like it wasn't a big deal and said that collar bones are funny because they cannot be put in a cast and heal much more slowly yet it seems like I should have been healed by now. Anyone else have a similar experience or take this long to heal from a broken collar bone?

Double-metric mtb man
    Collar bones are quite the funny fish. The "normal" doesn't apply...

I had a compression fracture of my collar bone in school...didn't break it like a normal fracture, but rather put a bunch of longitudinal fractures into it (shattered without coming all apart). Within 2 days it was able to do about 75% of normal weight bearing and it healed up with a nice calcification that catches people off guard at first aid competitions.

I've known forlks where it has been 2 months+ before things started to knit, little on be fully healed.

Sounds like you're in the latter class. Here's hoping it gets its act together soon for you, Catskill.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

catskillclimber
    Thanks Mike. I appreciate it. My ortho has said my x-rays look good and that I can ride and begin lifting heavier things but it is just discouraging when you see the x-ray and there is still clearly a line through the bone after five months. Collar bones are a pain in the ass.

Members who have read this thread: 0