Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Dirt Huffer

Stiff neck, chiropractor? Massage? Acupuncture?

After a hard crash that sent me into a dirt nap 2 months ago i'm still dealing with a stiff neck. I stretch my neck side to side several times daily to loosen it up, tilting it to the sides that are stiff. It's helped some but I wonder if i should go to get a message or something? I've never gotten a professional message or gone to a chiropractor so I don't know what would be best.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I had similar neck issues after a car accident. PT, massage, and exercise therapy got it corrected half way, still stiff and painful to a degree) and they said that was as good as it would get.

I went to an acupuncturist (go to a classically trained Chinese acupuncturist), and after 5 treatments I had full range of motion and no pain. That was 6 years ago and I have had to go back twice for a one visit follow up in those 6 years.

Give it a shot, you might be surprised. Like I said though, just be sure to go to someone that is trained in Chinese acupuncture at a traditional school.

Dirt Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I had similar neck issues after a car accident. PT, massage, and exercise therapy got it corrected half way, still stiff and painful to a degree) and they said that was as good as it would get.

I went to an acupuncturist (go to a classically trained Chinese acupuncturist), and after 5 treatments I had full range of motion and no pain. That was 6 years ago and I have had to go back twice for a one visit follow up in those 6 years.

Give it a shot, you might be surprised. Like I said though, just be sure to go to someone that is trained in Chinese acupuncture at a traditional school.
    Awesome to hear. I kind of jokingly put acupuncture in there but now im going to look into it. Thanks

smartass
    I recently went down hard on the pavement and gave myself whiplash. Pretty serious knot in my neck, and it was difficult (and hurt) to turn it one direction, hard to get out of bed, etc. I went to the same accupunturist pD214 mentioned and had two treatments within a couple of days of the accident. I had immediate relief. I'm not 100% pain free, but I have full range of motion without pain, and only some very minor, nagging, background sort of pain in a much less concentrated area.

It's worth a shot for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Chiropractic treatment is a nerosurgical treatment so it reduces the pain and related symptoms. I had Chiropractic treatment for knee pain. I has consulted many doctors and physiotherapists but none of them brought an effective result or the results did not last long. I was suggested a Chiropractor from Athletic Edge Sports Medicine, Toronto. Initially I had no hope because I've not heard many people going for Chiropractic treatment and I had very little reference. I met my chiropractor, he was very confident of my treatment. After the first week, I could feel the change. Chiropractic treatment has definitely been effective for me.

Dirt Huffer
    I just wanted to update the thread.

I almost went to a Chinese Acupuncturist but at the last minute canceled. I didn't really do anything "professionally" about my neck. Just stretched it everyday, looking side to side and up and down - holding it for a few seconds in each position. I'd do the movements slowly. I made sure NOT to crack my neck - which i tried a few times and it made things worse!

Anyways, I did these stretches several times a day while at my desk at work... Just working out the tension. It took 3 months but it slowly improved and now i don't notice any stiffness or discomfort in my neck.

I recently started doing shrugs at the gym to build some strength up in the neck area. I figure it can't hurt to build extra muscle around my neck in case it happens again. Plus it generates blood to the area and generates the muscles to repair and grow.

Dirt Abuser
    You may want to try out a foam roller, the black ones are pretty hard which is good. The white ones are too soft. Roll your traps which should loosen up your neck area.

I roll out my upper back about 3 times a week. Feels pretty good afterwards. I have a plate on my clavicle which tightens up my traps and neck area.

With all of the jarring associated with mtb, it increases the tension in my traps/neck area.
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"