mtbr member

Soreness on inner knee

I've recently gotten my GF into mountain biking (well, light trail riding). Previous to now we've just done flat ground road riding on road bikes. She also is a runner and in good shape. However, this has been the first time she's had to really put some torque down through the pedals.

Well, she's been complaining of soreness on the inner side of her knees, just below the quads. Her seat is at the appropriate height, right sized bike, and I make sure she stays spun up in a good gear. Platform pedals so no worries of clipless float, etc.

In my many years of riding, I've never heard about or experienced pain in the inner knee area without preexisting conditions. It has gotten to the point where she wants to call in rides because of the pain.

Does anyone have any idea if this could be caused by riding, and if so what it might be? Obviously a Dr. might be in the order but figured I'd try here first. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Off hand, without actually watching her ride, it sounds like it could be bad pedal placement, either her foot on the pedal, or the pedal in relation to her hips.

A professional fit might be in order, as the Q factor of the pedal may be making it difficult for her to get comfortable...an easy way to tell would be to measure the width between her footfalls and then measure the width between the pedal platforms. Running tends to do some pretty fair damage to the knees and legs in general, so if it was an injury, it is likely that it would show up there, too.