Thread: Sore lower back

mtbr member

Sore lower back

I'd never had this problem until recently. I'm 24, 188 pounds, 5'11".

Admittedly, I haven't bike for a while until recently and am very out of shape.

The problem comes while riding, my lower back becomes sore. I suppose it's the muscles, as it seems to be.

Anyone know what might be causing this? Or is just because I have not used those muscles in a long time?

It is not excruciatingly painful or anything, just uncomfortable and it lingers after riding. I just find it odd as I never experienced soreness there before.
    Santa Cruz Bullit AM build

mtbr member
    Bicycling mag had an article about core exercises for cyclists you might still find on their website. Combining those as well as stretching a ton, hip flexors, gluteus stretch, hamstrings and quads will help. Sounds like your muscles are weak and you are over working them.

recovering roadie
    There are lots of other suggestions on this particular forum - do a search and you will turn up some good stuff.

If you are riding a full suspension bike with adjustable rebound I have found it helps to make the rebound slow. Slower rebound seems to not make your lower back muscles work as hard. At least that worked for me.