mtbr member
    Apr 2013

"Slipped" disc...

Well, I turn 30 in a few months, I guess years of beating the body are catching up.
    I play rough sports. Mountain biking is my "soft and easy" sport. Hockey, football, rugby and motocross are my things, mostly MX.
    Started the MX season off good, faster than ever.
    Had MX practice Saturday, rode awesome, no issues. Saturday night, bent over a kitchen table working on something and without warning I was nearly on the ground with intense lower back pain. I thought it was just a severe spasm.
    Me being me, I just sucked it up and finished what I was doing, and went out for my buddie's stag and doe (a party to raise money for his wedding). At times I couldn't even walk. Assumed it would be ok in the morning.
    Sunday morning I get up, and decide I'm going to try the morning MX practice to see if I can race that day. Can't even get my leg half up over the bike.

So I'm now in pain nearly all the time and can't sit/stand straight. Seeing physio once a day for the first week and then we will see how I progress. Physio says I'm off the MX bike for at least a month (huge bummer) and off the MTB for at least 2 weeks, which sucks since I really enjoy it and it's my favourite way to prep for the MX bike.
    They say it isn't one specific event that caused this, but mostly my life style (work requires heavy loads, and my ways of staying in shape aren't gentle) and that I've basically just worn parts out.
    I'm in a rush to get back, but want to make sure I take care of this properly so I can have a pain free rest of the season.
    The GF is happy though since I'm spending almost no time at the track, but I'm in a pretty down mood.

Anyone here dealt with this and come back from it? Do you feel 100%?
    I really hope I can get back to being the rough and tumble me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Dont get to down man im in the same boat as you right now. I actually threw mine out riding my MTB (was jumping my wifes flower box lol) and cant ride either.

I found some light yoga in the evenings and a muscle relaxer help a ton. Build that core up as well to help protect that spine (Yoga is amazing for this as well).

You should recover from it 100% but it will always be in the back of your mind, at least mine has. Keep the core strength up and hit it hard bud!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just take it easy! I have a ruptured disc that weakened my left leg to the point that i had a severe foot drop (not any more) basically nerve damage.. after PT and Chiropractor strength in leg has come back and i am able to do MTB with no issues again.

like DG73 said Yoga and Core exercise are good. just let it heal and you would be fine
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ruptured my l5/s1 (or l1/s5.. dammit im not a doctor, jim) disc and the pieces from where it exploded were lodged into my sciatic nerve. Terrible pain for 2 months until I could get surgery, walked everywhere bent over like a hunchback. That was about 9 months ago now, lost 70 lbs and RIPPING IT UP on the mountain bike now.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

1izalluneed
    Sep 2004
    I had very similar issues to the OP several years ago. MRI showed ruptured L5, S1. Surgery was recommended but I relied on a good Chiro who recommended stretches and exercises to try for 2 weeks. It was a slow recovery at first but I stuck with the stretching and exercising and was back to the trainer in 1 week, road rides in 2 weeks and then MTB in abour 6 weeks. It really took about a full year to get back to better than normal. Do some core work, yoga as other have said and stretch. You will most likely make a full recovery quickly. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stay away from Yoga and Pilates and even crunches they will ruin your back. Start doing Stuart McGill work look him up and get yourself to a good chiro. Discogenic pain is like no other and it is not like muscular rehab no pain no gain. The only way to herniate a disc is full passive flexion and that sound like the position you were in. Your PT is correct it is not from one action or trauma.

mtbr member
    Just had l5 s1 surgery for herniation with fragments on my nerves. No pt would have fixed it. Pt could make worse if not careful.
    4 mos. No mtb.

mtbr member
    Just had l5 s1 surgery for herniation with fragments on my nerves. No pt would have fixed it. Pt could make worse if not careful.
    4 mos. No mtb.