Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Slight knee pain while pedaling

I do these silly endurance races and always seem to have some left knee pain. It is like clockwork after about 25 miles. No knee pain off the bike. It must be related to my fit on the bike. I have had a PT fit me and have my seat pushed back like she recommended yet knee pain persists.

Any ideas?

Thx,

Jay

mtbr member
    Do not exceed 24 miles

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I would love to make it 25 miles before I feel any pain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    first check saddle height.

If it consistent eventaully might want to see orthoedic dr, for years i thought i had slight pain and just general sorenss on rare occasion, long story short multiple drs said not to worry about, after awhile it just blew up and I had surgery this morning.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Hope it is routine knee surgery. What did you have? I may have some wear and tear arthritis in that knee. Who knows...I missed medical school.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

knee

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Hope it is routine knee surgery. What did you have? I may have some wear and tear arthritis in that knee. Who knows...I missed medical school.
    Routine, meniscus tear and clean up by reshaping meniscus and pad behind knee. Bottom line thoiugh what multiple DRs told me was soreness overuse wasnt. Tear could have been there for years before it just got bad enough to become a real issue.

Worse part is I have a new single speed that has never been ridden
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    How long are you going to be down? How do you think you tore the cartilage? Did you suffer from this:

Patellofemoral Syndrome: Injury Prevention | Bicycling Magazine

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    How long are you going to be down? How do you think you tore the cartilage? Did you suffer from this:

Patellofemoral Syndrome: Injury Prevention | Bicycling Magazine
    4 more weeks off the bike (hopefully that is it).

I think the meniscus just tore over time time, dont think anything in the article relates, I think I had an injury I just dealt with for too long than became to point where it just blew up, Dr. couldnt even say how long the tear had been there. Overall my cartilage looks good though. So expect to be back to epic rides late fall and hopefully some endurance races in the spring summer of next year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Do what I do to stop knee pain - flat pedals

I did the Syllamo's Revenge 50 miler on flat pedals (and all my riding) so it can be done

mtbr member
    I had horrible worn cartilage injuries in my right knee that kept me off the bike until I got clipped in. riding flat pedals allows my feet to wander and pedal in wobbling circles instead of keeping straight. riding clipped in keeps my knees from flailing and doing more damage.

that said, I have been staying off the mountain bike lately because it's been raining a lot and the trails are muddy. i have been riding my alu/carbon geared road bike (instead of my rigid steel SS bike) a lot in that time though, and a new slight pain has flared up in my left knee this time. i had to quit 15 miles into a 30 mile road ride and get picked up.

i have been meaning to see a chiropractor for a while now and this most recent failure led me to do it today. the chiro found that one of my legs was effectively shorter than the other because my pelvis is tilted to one side. as a result, my whole body is off-center. she did some adjustments and I plan to visit once a month or so for maintenance. I am also going to have to resume strengthening my thigh muscles like a physical therapist taught me a few years ago when I dealt with my first bout of knee problems.

getting your bike fit to your body is a great step in the right direction, but if your skeleton and muscles are out of balance for riding, it won't matter how perfectly you can spin on a trainer in front of a bike fitter. seeking help from a chiro or physical therapist or someone like that is the other half of the equation. riding is not enough to strengthen the muscles you need to balance your body for riding, you need additional strength to keep from repeatedly damaging joints.