mtbr member

a silver lining in any injury

The bad news. So I tore my quadricepts tendon in the first week of April. In the beginning of June my physical therapist told me I still had 12 to 16 weeks before full recovery. There goes the race season and my aspirations for a regional championship win. (gnawing off arm)

The good news. Sometimes time off from your sport can help you expand your horizons and skill base. (re-attaching arm) I tried out some paddle sports to work my upper body and I'm now addicted to sea kayaking. It's something my wife likes too. Of course, I got home and immediately looked up the biggest challenge I could find (within budget) that involves mountian biking and kayaking and came up with the Jay Challenge. (building training plan for next year)

I think paddle sports can be a great way to stay in shape while recovering from a lower body injury.
    "There is no try, either do -- or do not"

( )
    Nov 2004
    Sorry to hear about your injury. Sounds like you found a great way to spend your recovery time. Sea kayaking is a great activity. It's amazing how much you sea life you run into (sometimes literally) when you're gliding silently across the water. And it's a killer workout if you really push it.
    This past weekend I set up a trailer to tow my kayak behind my bike. Pedal and paddle power!

mtbr member
    Now to find a way to paddle to work! Sounds like a cool trailer. How did you do it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by volpepazza
    Now to find a way to paddle to work!
    here you go...

http://rowingbike.free.fr/

( )
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by volpepazza
    Now to find a way to paddle to work! Sounds like a cool trailer. How did you do it?

I search google for "bike kayak trailers" and got this: http://www.wicycle.com/kit.htm So I ordered it.

The original plan was to build up something myself for cheap. But I had no idea where to start so I just said F it, i'll buy one. Saved time, not money. It needs some tweaking. It's designed for a canoe, so right now it's a little wide for the kayak. But it worked great on its trial run down the bike path.

mtbr member
    Only if it's a 29er!