mtbr member
    Jun 2010

SI (sacroiliac joint) rehab suggestions

It was recently confirmed that I've got severe tearing in my SI joint. This has caused some serious problems, mostly low back pain, and pain and numbness in my left leg. I've been off the bike for a month and have another month before I can start peddling again, assuming things continue to improve.

Quick background - I've got 20 years of constant back problems, which have been diagnosed in the past as disc/nerve related, but most doctors have been unable to pinpoint exactly what's causing my problems. This recent (new) injury lead to an ultrasound of my SI joint that showed years of scar tissue and tearing that made the ortho believe my problems are more associated with SI joint dysfunction. I've started a series of PRP treatments in the SI joint, but I'm also looking into starting a regimen of strengthening exercises specifically designed to correct this imbalance.

I've been ASATT (all single speed all the time) that past couple years, so this has no doubt contributed to the problem. My core is strong, but my hip flexors, psoas, piriformis and other gluteal areas needs some work.

Anyone experience similar SI dysfunction who can share some effective rehab advice?

Thanks!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I don't have SI joint problems, but I've fought low back issues for years. You can check my prior posts for the few things I've said about it.

In addition to the regular piriformis stretches, I suggest rolling on a lacrosse ball on the floor. My PT suggested it, as it is the perfect size and density. Good for glutes and piriformis. Foam roller for the psoas and hip flexor. 4" pvc pipe really gets in there, but hurts. Don't forget the IT band.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I appreciate the feedback. I've been using the foam roller for years and I'm procative about maintaining flexibility and core strength. But my issue is that I've focused on the spine. It wasn't until a month ago that I realized my problems might be more associated with my SI joint and loose/damaged ligaments.

I know of several exercises I can do, but I'm more interested in suggestions from cyclists who have SI dysfunction since they might have exercises that are designed around a cyclists needs. But thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    I don't have SI joint problems, but I've fought low back issues for years. You can check my prior posts for the few things I've said about it.

In addition to the regular piriformis stretches, I suggest rolling on a lacrosse ball on the floor. My PT suggested it, as it is the perfect size and density. Good for glutes and piriformis. Foam roller for the psoas and hip flexor. 4" pvc pipe really gets in there, but hurts. Don't forget the IT band.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Study this site very carefully BackFitPro.com

Your problem may be your back is too strong and flexible.

Mashing on a SS is hell on your IVD and facets, the compressive loads are huge. I love SS but I put it to rest for a bit and back on FS geared. I miss SS.