Thread: Shoulders suck

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Shoulders suck

I have this reoccurring shoulder pain, and I've been to drs. They basically said that beyond a replacement, i just have to deal with it. So every few weeks, i do something it doesn't like, and I have this pinched nerve type pain in my shoulder blade, and I can't ride for a few days. And then I just worry that it's going to come back. I can't even pick up a cup of coffee with my left hand today. So yeah.. That's my story. I was going to ride with some friends but instead I'm sitting in a lazy boy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I have this reoccurring shoulder pain, and I've been to drs. They basically said that beyond a replacement, i just have to deal with it. So every few weeks, i do something it doesn't like, and I have this pinched nerve type pain in my shoulder blade, and I can't ride for a few days. And then I just worry that it's going to come back. I can't even pick up a cup of coffee with my left hand today. So yeah.. That's my story. I was going to ride with some friends but instead I'm sitting in a lazy boy.

From my experience, nothing has helped me more with shoulder pain than swimming. Sometimes you gotta go really easy in the pool, but just getting in there and working on range of motion, moving it around and gradually working on it will improve it. Obviously, everyone's different, but it really works for me. I don't care what doctors say, joints benefit from movement that doesn't injure it more. YMMV.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I broke my ribs when I was a teenager and it's been like 15 years of on and off again hell since then. I did swim for a long time but it didn't really help. I work out everyday, and I try to keep the muscles strong, because if I don't work out it gets worse, but it's pretty much just a scheduled pain that comes and goes. If i do a replacement I lose movement and a year of my life and honestly that's not much of an option right now

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've taken so many painkillers over the years and have built up such a tolerance that I'd have to become a junkie to be pain free. I have gotten dope sick from not taking them in the past when i didn't know I was addicted physically and it's really not healthy. So I don't take them anymore and just deal with it because it's really just a bandaid.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Lame.

Get any help from heating pads, etc.?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I had a reconstruction back in 1993. They tightened the sh!t out of it and said if it pops out again I'm screwed. I have much less range of motion (close to 50% in one specific movement) but it doesn't really get in the way. Once in a while at work (car mechanic) it can be an issue but it's usually no big deal working around it. I'm still afraid to crash on it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The only thing that really helped was one of those mechanical shiatsu massagers but the last one I had started melting because I guess I used it too much. I have to buy another one lol.. But it's just such pain in the ass to have to deal with this for so long with no alternative than a really extensive surgery. I don't want to not be active especially when it comes and goes out of nowhere

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I broke my ribs when I was a teenager and it's been like 15 years of on and off again hell since then. I did swim for a long time but it didn't really help. I work out everyday, and I try to keep the muscles strong, because if I don't work out it gets worse, but it's pretty much just a scheduled pain that comes and goes. If i do a replacement I lose movement and a year of my life and honestly that's not much of an option right now

Another thing that can really help with chronic joint pain is a steady low inflammation diet. If you check out Dr Andrew Weil's website, he has really championed it ... lots of tips, recipes, etc. It's a big change for most people and they just don't have the discipline to do it. because it means low alcohol, no coffee, low to no red meats, no sodas/refined sugars but if you do it and get more of the inflammation reducing herbs and vegetables into your body, you will have a lot less pain. I've been on a diet like this for years because of a knee injury and haven't taken or needed a pain pill in years ... but when I tell friends to try it, most cannot fathom a week without beer (which is the worst alcoholic beverage in terms of causing inflammation). It's important to remember that it's not the injury that hurts, it's the inflammation. If you get the total amount of inflammation your body creates to go down dramatically, all aches and pains go down with it. And, it's easier on your heart as well. I find, when talking to people about pain an diets, that they usually are not willing to change some basis diet habits to really reduce the pain levels. Doesn't make much sense, but that's what it's about being human. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that 95% of all people with nagging joint pain/issues could reduce their pain dramatically with diet changes, some healing Tai Chi/Qi Gong and a little swimming. But that's a big commitment which is why the pill industry is so profitable.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    I have a rotator cuff injury and it hurts the most when the muscles are tight, I sleep on it and when I lift my arm up high to grab things. For me easy rides where I am getting some cardio actually helps it because after the ride the shoulder muscles feel looser and the adrenalin works like a natural pain killer. I am gonna try to rest it during winter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I eat relatively healthy besides the occasional trip to taco bell haha.. I cook every night and I rarely eat junk food. I live in front of a stop and shop so all my meals are bought the day I cook them. We eat a lot of vegetables because of that, and during the summer it's mainly salads and light foods because i don't want to heat up the kitchen with the oven since the central air in the apt isn't too strong. I push myself to ride sometimes if I have plans and for the ride it can be ok but the next day I'm really feeling it. I deliver fresh seafood in the summer, and drive from ny to Philly and Maryland pretty regularly and those drives get tedious when I'm in pain too. There's really just not much to do but complain about it and deal but it's really annoying. I got offered disability from social security when I was around 22 but I using it early had some bad stipulations, so I said f-that. I didn't think that 10 years later I'd be in the same boat though. I'm relatively fit and healthy otherwise, healthy diet, etc.. So who knows. I'm holding out on some sort of miracle surgery. Before my dad's heart transplant he had a mechanical heart with battery packs and had to use an extension cord to go to the bathroom so anything is possible. Obama should get on that.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Have you tried any other handle bars out? I have had multiple surgeries on my right shoulder and deal with it hurting if I ride with normal handle bars. So far the only handle bars that have worked for me were the On-One Mary Bars with ESI chunky grips. I ordered 3 of them last month because they seem hard to find in the US.

I also take Boswellia on a daily basis and it helps with arthritis and swelling. Its not immediate but within 30 days of starting it I noticed a difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just bought a new handle bar, but I'm building a new bike today so I may have to buy something else lol.. Its not from riding though... I can hurt it scratching me head

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Where are you located? If you are local you are welcome to meet me and try out my Mary bars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm in long Island ny, but i drive up and down the northeast all summer. Sometimes I bring the bike and look for trails with my friend

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am from Maryland, so you a re a bit too far. I totally forgot I have a cream I use as well. It is a compounding cream that gets put on 3-4 times a time. It really helps with pain management in my knee. It is prescription based and comes shipped directly to your door. It is the thing that has helped my knee pain. The company is called InnovoRx. Their website is Innovo - Specialty Compounding Solutions - Home . Its fairly new to the orthopedic field but it has worked wonders for me. Its worth a shot for some relief without surgery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSLKauai View Post
    Another thing that can really help with chronic joint pain is a steady low inflammation diet. If you check out Dr Andrew Weil's website, he has really championed it ... lots of tips, recipes, etc. It's a big change for most people and they just don't have the discipline to do it. because it means low alcohol, no coffee, low to no red meats, no sodas/refined sugars but if you do it and get more of the inflammation reducing herbs and vegetables into your body, you will have a lot less pain. I've been on a diet like this for years because of a knee injury and haven't taken or needed a pain pill in years ... but when I tell friends to try it, most cannot fathom a week without beer (which is the worst alcoholic beverage in terms of causing inflammation). It's important to remember that it's not the injury that hurts, it's the inflammation. If you get the total amount of inflammation your body creates to go down dramatically, all aches and pains go down with it. And, it's easier on your heart as well. I find, when talking to people about pain an diets, that they usually are not willing to change some basis diet habits to really reduce the pain levels. Doesn't make much sense, but that's what it's about being human. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that 95% of all people with nagging joint pain/issues could reduce their pain dramatically with diet changes, some healing Tai Chi/Qi Gong and a little swimming. But that's a big commitment which is why the pill industry is so profitable.
    This is interesting, thanks and I'm going to look into it. I don't drink anymore anyway and crohn's has had me have to alter my diet anyway. Unfortunately, with crohn's one of the symptoms is inflamed joints and I just piledrived an already achy shoulder into the dirt on Wednesday. Also, the part mentioned above about swimming/range of motion is key too. 2 days after the wreck and I'm already trying to work on the range of motion. It's painful, but it needs to be done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm going to ask my Dr about that next time I see him. I've never tried any of the creams, I kinda stayed away from meds in general after taking painkillers for so many years i wanted to give my liver a break.