mtbr member
    May 2013

Shoulder injury recovering

I got caught on a good root a little ways out from a 3 foot drop and went flying. After regaining compusure I got up and found I could only move my left arm at the elbow and wrist, shoulder was dead and ribs and back hurt like heck.

That evening I started getting some motion back so I decided to wait it out for a couple of days. Went to see the GP and I had full motion with assistance, he recommended a little more wait and see before going to an ortho. a week later I still needed assistance with full motion. Wait for ortho appt... Well, the xray revealed a slightly separateed shoulder but he was more concerned about my having no resistive strength. Wait for MRI appt.... wait for revisit to Ortho.... Dang!!! By that time (1 month later) I did have full movement without assistance, but my scapula also poked out a bit when I raised my arm. I started doing some light resistive band exercises a few days before the visit. The ortho said I have tendonosis (wear-over-time as opposed to tendonitis which is more impact damage) to continue with my exercise routine and see a chiro to help me get in alignment as everything was out of whack due to the injury and muscle weakness, also recommended deep tissue massage and using a massage roller to break up the fascia to help stay loose as I recover. I think the radiologist mistyped the report, regardless -treatment is basically the same.

Two months later I am using dumbells except for lat pulls and rows and am getting stronger everyday. I will likely ride a beginner trail soon (maybe this weekend) as I'm now able to road ride and hold the bike steady with only left arm while I reach for water with my right.

I recommend thera-band resistive bands for recovery. I had a right shoulder impingment this past summer and could only raise my arm up to Hitler salute level. I got a good PT who showed me all the right exercises to restrengthen my rotator muscles and she had me use thera-bands at home.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    After you got a good PT who showed you the exercises to re-strengthen the rotator cuff, did you ever achieve full range of movement?

I took a pretty bad spill a few weeks ago, and the MRI showed that I have a minor tear in my rotator cuff. The orthopedic doctor recommended that I not get surgery and instead do PT in a few weeks when it's had time to heal.

This is my first REAL injury (aside from a broken ankle ect), and I'm really concerned about the healing process. I don't want a little fall to haunt me for the rest of my life.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I did regain full range. After about 2 mos, I was doing good on increasing strength and I had some minor limitations in my motion. At that point she did some intense stretching for a couple of sessions, had to work me real hard over because my subscapula was extremely tight and wouldn't give. But once she worked it loose my arm was pretty much rotating normally though I did have some minor tightness, a couple of more sessions and we decided to end the sessions and I continued exercising at home to keep building the strength back up.

PT is pretty much the norm these days for minor tears. Don't fret it.