mtbr member

Should I go back for an xray?

Crashed and landed on my left knee a week ago. Went to the ER for a couple stitches after it wouldn't quit bleeding. The joint felt ok, no pain more than to be expected after thunking it on a rock. The dr. poked at it, and since I didn't complain of pain other than the cut I was there to get stitched up, didn't take any xrays. I also didn't try to bend it hardly at all, however.
    For the past week it's been stiff. I expected that. Hurts like heck when I try to bend it or straighten when it's been in one position for awhile, then once I stop moving it stops hurting. Walking down stairs is the most painful. Today I bent it past 90 degrees, and I'm kind of alarmed by how it comes to a point:

The dark thing is stitches still. It doesn't feel swollen, it's hard under the bump. I hate to go back in again for xrays, due to insurance the only place I can go and not have to pay an arm and a leg is the ER, which means waiting 2 hours. Especially if nothing is actually wrong.

Cause for concern? Should I go have an xray taken after I've been walking (kind of) on it for a week?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    last time i saw a knee do that it was a split kneecap.
    but that was accompanied by a ton of pain and serious lack of range of motion.

mtbr member
    That's the thing, my range of motion is not horrible, and the only time I'm in a ton of pain is when I try to walk down stairs. I don't know if it's just a bruise/sprain or if there is something going on in there. Part of the reason for the fall was a different pair of pedals with brand-new shoes that weren't nearly as easy to clip out of as I'm used to. There might have been a twisting motion when I went down, but I don't remember it, maybe because I was preoccupied with the bleeding. You'd think if there was something seriously wrong, I'd know it, right?

namagomi
    No, going down stairs is the worst for a knee injury... What you're saying sounds normal for such damage(particularly while it is swollen), but if you're feeling the pain is beyond reasonable maybe there are "grinding" or "locking" goto the doctor have him refer you or give you some pain meds to remind you why to ride flats() It will take a while to get back to normal - if ever... so give it time. Just visit the GP, it won't hurt anything except your own time.

Team Chilidog!
    I'm not a doctor. This is all from my personal experiences.

I would see an orthopedic surgeon, not the ER, not urgent care, not a GP. Is it worth risking the use of your knee for the rest of your life?

Being someone who is recovering from an old knee injury finally fixed this year (22 years for ACL, 10 years for meniscus), find out sooner rather than later. I wish I had my knee fixed sooner.

There's a chance you may need an MRI possibly if you have some tissue damage (meniscus injuries hurt, and they can't find them with X-rays), but that's up to a doctor.

I had pain in my knee when hitting full extension prior to surgery (menisucs). That sucked.

As for walking downstairs being the hardest, that's not surprising. Anytime there is trauma to the knee, the quadriceps shuts down to protect the knee. Walking downstairs / downhill / standing on pedals (the downstroke part) is the most significant pressure you can put on the knee because you not only have your body weight on it, but also gravity and you're expecting the quadriceps to control it.

The hardest part of my PT right now is working on the "walking down stairs" motion, and I'm 7 weeks post op. That's not going to come back very quickly.

If your knee feels unstable, definitely see an orthro. That could be a ligament (ACL maybe, but there are other knee ligaments that can be affected).
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women