mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Short Race Report from Stenner Memorial ITT Championships...and an injury???...

Hey all. Warning it's a roadie report:
    After being snowed out from an XC race last weekend, this weekend brought on a Road race of sorts. Actually it was a Time Trial Race.

Race Stats: 38km approx 32.5 miles on a moderatelly hilly course near the airport.
    My Time: 1:05
    Place: 3rd.......From Last 36 of 38. Hey it's better than my first TT race.

Road Time Trials are definatelly interesting. Also known as "The Race of Truth." As a mountain biker, I think Road TT's are the cloest Road type race to an XC MTB race. Unlike Crits and Road Races, you don't have to worry about peleton dynamics(shoulder bumping on asphalt at 30 mph, etc...) or strategy. TT's are almost all about yourself and the clock. Like XC races in the fact that, if someone's ahead of you, you want to catch them, and hopefully not be caught by the guy behind.

In any case, the start is typical with the guy holding the saddle. 3,2,1 I'm off. First 2 miles were flat and allowed time for gaining max speed. I settle in after 45 seconds of all out hammering, and start cruising at 24mph approaching the first hard left and climb. Up the climb and through the rolling section for about 5 miles with an avg speed of around 30 mph. Wow I was moving, and thankfully not being caught. After the turnaround point, it was back the way I came. Remember for the 5 mile section I was averaging 30+, now I was averaging 21.2mph. Why?.... That slight downhill was now a long climb into a good headwind. Oh well, time to dig in and suffer. While suffering, I was caught nad passed by 3 guys behind me. I didn't feel so bad, as they were on Beautifu $3000 FELT TT Bikes with either MAvic Carbon or ZIPP wheels. I'll add a comment to this in just a second. Back to the tight turn, reapproach start and then a tight right for the next 11 miles of the course. This was similar to the first turnoff with a short climb, to a fast/long downhill. It's right about here that I am hurting and am caught by a few more guys. Oh well, again those guys are also on dedicated TT bikes. From the turn around, it was to the finish line, which ended in a long .9 mile climb with into the wind. Oh well, suffer, suffer, suffer, and I was done. Not bad, 23.6 miles in under 1hr5 minutes. The winning time was around 55 minutes.

I came into it, knowing I would get beat, but I was thoroughly amazed that almost everyone in Cat4's had dedicated $2000-3000 Time Trial Bikes. Now, I'm a firm believer in "it's not the bike, it's the motor..." but in TT's I think the bike obviously make a huge difference. Then again, I did come in ahead of 1 guy with a TT bike.

So what gives, I understand it is a Time Trial Championship, and the bulk of the people that showed up specialize in TT's, but what in the world do these guys do that they can afford $3000 TT bikes as well as $3000 race bikes. I'm clearly in the wrong business.

Oh well, I did the race because I enjoy the one on one suffering of self and clock. This TT did not dissappoint, and I look forward to doing more. More than anything else, it's great training for the MTB.

Oh yeah, the injury... I'm not sure what I did. I felt great (relative to suffering) throughout the entire race. Almost immediately after I sat up after the finish sprint, I developed this real tightness in my left glut/hamstring. The 1 hour drive home was less than comfortable. In any case, I rested all day yesterday, and felt good. I decided to do a local MTB climb near my office. Almost instantly, I could feel a "discomfort" right where my Hamstring meets my glut. After 20 minutes, I decided it wasn't worth it, and rode back down to the car. Of course now I feel ok, but I'm guessing I have a pulled or majorly stressed hammi. I'm scheduled to meet with the masseuse this afternoon, so hopefully we can diagnose the problem. this has me a bit depressed because I was planning on racing the normal Tues Crit, Wed Short Track, and the makeup race at Winterpark. Looks like all this might be in jeapordy, and I might have another setback to the season. First it was that darn 100 day flu, now it's this. Such is life I guess.

I guess cycling truly is just another way to pass the time, and maybe this is my time to continue to work my way back up to the top.

Catch ya later,
    Ocky
    "You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals."
    Booker T. Washington

http://www.cruxspot.blogspot.com

Preemptive Revenger
    Hey Ocky, good job...I know a couple of really fast riders whose times weren't too different than yours...you must have had a good ride! Keep hanging in there!
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

i worship Mr T

credit card debt!

i'm convinced that's how all those people can afford $3000 TT bikes and $3000 race bikes. either that or their day job is crack sales.

nice job Ocky! in my first (of 2 ever) ITT i also came in 3rd.....to last. even worse when i went to check the results i scanned down the page only to find my name AT THE VERY BOTTOM!! i was convinced i was DFL but then someone told me that there was a 2nd page.....which turned out to have 2 other finishers and a whole host of DNFs. i think i got passed by everyone including the guy with the walker in that race.

a dedicated TT bike can make a difference. even just having clip on aero bars can make a difference. but i think a lot of it is just experience......and finding a TT course that suits you. my second ITT was a 35 mile, 4000' of climbing TT and i finished first. granted my friend cathy didn't show up or i would have finished a very distant 2nd.

oh, and i did a mtb ITT last fall and finished first.....in a field of 1. so i guess i also finished DFL.

hamstring injuries can linger. listen to your doc, do your physio and heal fast & strong.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    Hey Ocky, good job...I know a couple of really fast riders whose times weren't too different than yours...you must have had a good ride! Keep hanging in there!
    Hey thanks man. TT's are definatelly tough. But I think they also make for good training for the MTB. Now if I can just heal up in time for Saturday at WP and Sunday at our race. According to the PT, looks really iffie. The short track is definatelly out.

Thanks again. C ya soon.
    -Ocky

ps congrats on crackin the top 15 on Short Track!
    "You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals."
    Booker T. Washington

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    i'm convinced that's how all those people can afford $3000 TT bikes and $3000 race bikes. either that or their day job is crack sales.

nice job Ocky! in my first (of 2 ever) ITT i also came in 3rd.....to last. even worse when i went to check the results i scanned down the page only to find my name AT THE VERY BOTTOM!! i was convinced i was DFL but then someone told me that there was a 2nd page.....which turned out to have 2 other finishers and a whole host of DNFs. i think i got passed by everyone including the guy with the walker in that race.

a dedicated TT bike can make a difference. even just having clip on aero bars can make a difference. but i think a lot of it is just experience......and finding a TT course that suits you. my second ITT was a 35 mile, 4000' of climbing TT and i finished first. granted my friend cathy didn't show up or i would have finished a very distant 2nd.

oh, and i did a mtb ITT last fall and finished first.....in a field of 1. so i guess i also finished DFL.

hamstring injuries can linger. listen to your doc, do your physio and heal fast & strong.

rt
    Thanks for the encouragement RT. How are the bumps and bruises?

I can only imagine the endless nights on the couch if I accrued credit card debt, and brought home a shiny new bike. I'd have a lot more than just explaining to do. (begging, etc...) Ahh, but it's nice to dream.

This being my 2nd ITT on the roadie, I did add Profile Design Jammer Aero bars. Which I do like. However, it turns out that the aero bars could be the root of the problem for my hamstring. I did get fitted for the aero bars when I did my bike fits the other week. However, my bars didn't come in until last Tuesday. In which case, with the bad weather, I only got to train with them for 1 day for maybe 2 hrs. In which case, something about how the legs are repositioned directly over the cranks (while on the aeros) is most likely the contributing factor to the hamstring issue. Uggh.

Money can never buy happiness, but it does help in buying the toys.
    Booker T. Washington

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by OdaNelli
    Thanks for the encouragement RT. How are the bumps and bruises?

I can only imagine the endless nights on the couch if I accrued credit card debt, and brought home a shiny new bike. I'd have a lot more than just explaining to do. (begging, etc...) Ahh, but it's nice to dream.

This being my 2nd ITT on the roadie, I did add Profile Design Jammer Aero bars. Which I do like. However, it turns out that the aero bars could be the root of the problem for my hamstring. I did get fitted for the aero bars when I did my bike fits the other week. However, my bars didn't come in until last Tuesday. In which case, with the bad weather, I only got to train with them for 1 day for maybe 2 hrs. In which case, something about how the legs are repositioned directly over the cranks (while on the aeros) is most likely the contributing factor to the hamstring issue. Uggh.

Money can never buy happiness, but it does help in buying the toys.
    the bruises are fading and the rest is scarring over nicely.

ah, no credit card debt then. perhaps illicit drug sales?

i've heard that aerobars take some getting used to. guess it's time for another fit?

buying toys is much easier than stealing them.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Nice job Ocky,

speaking of equipment that makes a difference...what about the fancy skinsuits? as far as I can tell that is the main reason for doing a TT

Get yourself all healed for WP#2

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by santa_cruzer
    Nice job Ocky,

speaking of equipment that makes a difference...what about the fancy skinsuits? as far as I can tell that is the main reason for doing a TT

Get yourself all healed for WP#2
    Hey Cruzer,
    Funny indeed. I myself have not partaken with the full skinsuit, but 2 of my teammembers do like the full skinsuit for Crits and TT's. Myself, I'm still a bike short/Bib type of guy. Depends more or less on which one is clean that day.

Thanks for the encouragement for WP. Looks like #2 is also out, so now I'm scheduled for #3. The healing is actually going pretty well, as I was able to ride around Chatfield yesterday for some interval training. Felt a little tight at times, but feels surprisingly good today. Guess my PT really does know what he's doing (jk) I hope to race for at least 20 minutes or so of our Crit in Longmont, but then situp to get more treatent. If all goes well, I should be back on the XC bike for next weeks Short Track. Have a good time out there!

-Ocky
    Booker T. Washington