mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Shoes and Fitting

I suffer from mild knee pain, sometime on the inside, some times on the outside. I was told that replacing my $60 Pearl Izumi shoes with high quality S-Works shoes will make a big difference in helping with knee pain. I know that fitting the cleats is important, but can the quality of the shoe really make a difference?

Also, I need a recommendation for a Bay Area fitter that truly knows how to do a fit with the main objective of addressing knee pain. Hopefully someone that was not just trained to learn a fitting method, but that os truly an expert in the physiology of the knee when it comes to cycling.

Thanks
    Jesus

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well, for biking I'm not sure. I know for running it does, you can buy special shoes in order to minimise impact on the knees, but since biking in the first place doesnt put much pressures to your joints like the knees, I don't think it can help :P but maybe I'm wrong

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Shoes and Fitting

I don't think you need to go all the way to S-Works.

A lot of cycling related knee pain has to do with either instability or a tendency to over-pronate. I've never had stability problems, but I do pronate quite a lot.

Good cycling shoes for XC and road have very rigid soles. That's great for stability, and it also provides a good platform for insoles and/or wedges if you need those. I've been using fancy insoles for ages, and I use a wedge in my Sidis. In Specialized shoes, that's built in, which is nice for those of us who overpronate and probably a dealbreaker for the few people who do the other thing. You probably don't need to spend more than $200 for the shoe itself if you don't want to. Look for something with a really stiff sole and pedaling-oriented last shape. I'm going to guess your PIs are "casual" or "multi-sport" or something? How about a specific model name or a pic?

The cleat fitting and alignment on a MTB shoe is less important, IMO. Most MTB pedals have a fair amount of angular float. If you're not fighting your pedal to ride with your foot at a comfortable angle, you should be good. But cleat fitting is a common service, and if you're doing a fit anyway, go for it.

I paid for a bike fit many years ago and it's some of the better money I've spent on cycling. In NY, though, so I'm afraid I can't give you a specific recommendation. Try your regional forum.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks AndrwSwitch for your reply. These are the Pearl Izumi shoes that I have. The sole seems to be stiff but I haven't owned too many shoes to have an objective opinion about stiffness.

http://goo.gl/7sjft2

Fat-tired Roadie
    It looks like a serious shoe. I've never seen one in person, so my observation's probably worth about what you paid for it. Try flexing it with your hands. Some flex forward of the cleat is okay. A lot of MTB shoes have that designed in - it makes getting around on foot suck less. But the sole should feel pretty much rigid back of the cleat.

Next step is probably to find a fitter. You can always ask about shoes at that time.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx