mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Shin Pain - Where is it coming from?

I've been occasionally getting some relatively severe pain in my shin area. It feels like a pulled muscle. The focus of the pain is just off the outer edge of my shin bone, in the soft tisues, just below the mid point between ankle and knee. Its mostly ok as long as I'm not flexing the ankle up and down. For instance driving a stick is fine if I work the clutch with my leg, but hurts like hell if I try to mostly press the clutch with my ankle motion. One of the thing that hurts worst is sitting in a recliner where my ankle dangles over the end of the foot rest, which allows the toes to drop towards the ground.

This is not a constant problem, but it seems like every couple of weeks I'll do something that flares it up. Any ideas about what I'm doing and how to stop it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Im no medical expert but it sounds like shin splints to me where the muscle expands but the sheath around it does not causing the pain in the shin area. An operation is required to fix it. My advice see a doctor.

undercover brother
    Yea sounds like shin splints. RICE (Rest Ice Compression Elevation), if that doesn't help see a doctor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks. I put some KT tape on it today. I'll take a few days off the bike and see what happens. I was talking about this with my wife and she reminded me that we did a long downhill walk on saturday which is kind of out of the ordinary. I'm hoping that's what flared it up, because if anything my biking has been less for the last few weeks rather than more; so it didn't make sense that that could be the cause. Hurts like a mofo for no reason though.