mtbr member

Shattered pinky...

Riding South Mountain in Phoenix with the AZ Spring Fling crew. I barely know what happened! Was rolling drop/steps and the next thing I knew I was OTB and sliding downhill on my arms. Wrenched shoulder, slammed knee into headset as I launched, BAD trail-rash on the underside of my forearms, and worst of all... the middle phalanx of my left pinky is shattered in at least four areas.

Hand surgeon said it's one of the worst he has seen. Going in on Thurs to have pins shot through the finger to hold it together. They're going to then attach some sort of devise on the pins that will pull the bones back into shape. I'm going to have to adjust it myself, from what I understand. I'll post pics of it when I can.

One of the few Xrays they took, showing two of the breaks.

Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists - www.sdmb.org
    Board member Web Guru

------
    www.tucsonmtb.com

mtbr member
    I think the device they put on the pins to adjust it is pliers at least based on what my buddy who broke his foot said.

Good luck with recovery. That must have hurt.
    :wq

Team Chilidog!
    Ouch.. they're not giving you a tiny external fixator, are they? I had one for my wrist for 8 weeks.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Actually it didn't hurt at all right after. In fact I could fully bend my finger but I knew it was broken. According to the surgeon this 'thing' they're going to put on me is called a "Schenk Device" or something like that. Apparently rather new technology but he says it always gets great results.

I'll post pics of it on Thursday.... thanks for the well-wishes.
    Board member Web Guru

------
    www.tucsonmtb.com

mtbr member
    It's looks so swollen in the pic that it looks like you have two thumbs

mtbr member
    This weekend was terrible pain-wise but now actually quite tolerable with normal pain-relievers. Typing with one hand sucks though! Not biking for 6-weeks sucks even worse.

The device. I have to slide the outer piece around the tube every 2 hours to stretch/flex the tendons and jeep the joint from freezing up.

Board member Web Guru

------
    www.tucsonmtb.com

mtbr member
    yikes!! That's crazy man.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Update! 5 weeks and 3 days from the accident and I had the pins removed this morning. Everything healed up perfectly and the surgeon was very happy. He removed the pins with a pair of pliers and NO painkiller or local. It was quite... uncomfortable to say the least. Almost as bad as the break-pain itself.

Wrist is weak feeling and my girlfriend mentioned that my arm bicep/tricep is smaller due to me not being able to use it. She was right... noticeable difference in arm size. Looks weird.

It's buddy taped right now, but much improved. Still can't make a fist due to the tendons/muscles tightening up, but with another week or so of physical therapy, I'll be back to 100%.
    Board member Web Guru

------
    www.tucsonmtb.com

Brentster
    Jun 2007
    Congrats man!!!! Welcome back to the fold

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Just a heads up on your schedule for being back 100%

I hate to sound like the Reality Check Man, because a positive attitude is mandatory for recovering from any injury. I'm happy as heck that you're out of that nasty contraption, but just take it one day at a time. Your tendons, ligaments and whatnot are not what they were before your accident. Trying to come back too fast because you think you can just might fokk up something in there and delay your recovery. Just go slow and easy and you'll be back in time, but it sure won't be in two weeks.

I speak from experience because when I finally got my own cast off my right arm I had gone from active lifter in the gym and carpenter to basically zero. Talk about being freaked out at the change in my arm muscles. It was many months before I even felt like I was able to work on my strength.

Maybe your experience will be different, but I'm just sayin'...things in there need a little TLC in the beginning of your recovery. Good luck.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads-up, xcguy. Believe me I'm only going to do as much as I can and not push it. Due to the fact that I've been in PT since day one, my range of motion is about 75% as it is. So I'm just assuming that once the pin removal swelling goes down, it's going to increase dramatically.

I only do what the PT says to do, which is stretching full range of motion (as far as I can) every 2-3 hours.
    Board member Web Guru

------
    www.tucsonmtb.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Range of motion is key

Quote Originally Posted by G-Cracker
    Thanks for the heads-up, xcguy. Believe me I'm only going to do as much as I can and not push it. Due to the fact that I've been in PT since day one, my range of motion is about 75% as it is. So I'm just assuming that once the pin removal swelling goes down, it's going to increase dramatically.

I only do what the PT says to do, which is stretching full range of motion (as far as I can) every 2-3 hours.
    That's what my PT person said (and any others I met who had some injury). They all said work on your ROM primarily, the strength will come back eventually but you only have a 6 month window of opportunity to get back what you can as far as ROM. Stretch stretch stretch!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I broke my pinky and nuckle on December 7th in 3 places. No pins since they were clean breaks and the bones did not relocate. Even now it is difficult to make a fist and I do not have 100% range back yet. I can ride at least but it does take time for everthing to go back to normal even with PT.