mtbr member

Severe Brain Injury Study - Minnesota

In Saturday's paper they had a front page story on "Mapping risks to brain health" in Minnesota, funded by a federal grant. Another state is keeping stats also, South Carolina. The story is here:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5658143.html

In the paper they had a graph for sports related brain injuries (specifically stated brain injuries - the point of the study), with:

Biking - 15.2%
    Football - 9.8%
    Ice hockey - 9.4%
    Snowboarding - 7.7%
    Baseball, softball - 6.6%
    Playbround equipment - 4.4%
    Basketball - 4.2%

This was based on 744 emergency room visits from 2001 through 2003. Uh, that's 113 people with brain injuries from riding, failing to ride, or crashing bicycles.

Not trying to draw any conclusions, but........ nothing. Just interesting.

Also in the paper was the death of a 11 year old cyclist hit by a car. There have been a number of cyclists killed in the area this year. Terribly sad.

Rick

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

interesting but easily misleading

Quote Originally Posted by badlander
    In Saturday's paper they had a front page story on "Mapping risks to brain health" in Minnesota, funded by a federal grant. Another state is keeping stats also, South Carolina. The story is here:......................................

Rick
    This suggests that biking is more likely to result in a head injury. This is fallacious.

The thing is that while biking has the highest rate of head injuries The data is not broken down well. From what is shown, everything is in aggregate. For example, how many people get on a bike. Compare that to how many people play contact football? Per capita I would bet biking is far larger. This study shows little unless the data is accurately, studied.

Even worse the data doesn’t differentiate between users. Thus kids are compared to rec users or competitive users. Again there are different risk rates amongst users.

The article does rasie a good point though. Brain injuries with out a helmet can be tragic. so wear a helmet for all high risk activites.
    Last edited by -TBT-; 10-08-2005 at 10:26 PM.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by badlander
    In Saturday's paper they had a front page story on "Mapping risks to brain health" in Minnesota, funded by a federal grant. Another state is keeping stats also, South Carolina. The story is here:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5658143.html

In the paper they had a graph for sports related brain injuries (specifically stated brain injuries - the point of the study), with:

Biking - 15.2%
    Football - 9.8%
    Ice hockey - 9.4%
    Snowboarding - 7.7%
    Baseball, softball - 6.6%
    Playbround equipment - 4.4%
    Basketball - 4.2%

This was based on 744 emergency room visits from 2001 through 2003. Uh, that's 113 people with brain injuries from riding, failing to ride, or crashing bicycles.

Also in the paper was the death of a 11 year old cyclist hit by a car. There have been a number of cyclists killed in the area this year. Terribly sad.

Rick

I read the title of the post and thought they were looking at why people live in Minnesota!
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member

The article and study are to raise questions

This was a recitation of facts not a statistical analysis. It was just a tally. And the tally shows, quite clearly for sports related activities, that biking will have more brain injuries than other sports. It does not talk about how many of this versus how many of that. It is a tally of people with brain injuries that show up in emergency rooms. It is supposed to be accurate. It is not statistical.

Note: the study did not say if the cyclists were wearing helmets or not.

You have to draw your own conclusions. I have mine.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by -TBT-
    This suggests that biking is more likely to result in a head injury. This is fallacious.

The thing is that while biking has the highest rate of head injuries The data is not broken down well. From what is shown, everything is in aggregate. For example, how many people get on a bike. Compare that to how many people play contact football? Per capita I would bet biking is far larger. This study shows little unless the data is accurately, studied.

Even worse the data doesn’t differentiate between users. Thus kids are compared to rec users or competitive users. Again there are different risk rates amongst users.

The article does rasie a good point though. Brain injuries with out a helmet can be tragic. so wear a helmet for all high risk activites.

mtbr member

Or that you have to be pre-inclined to brain injury

Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    I read the title of the post and thought they were looking at why people live in Minnesota!
    To live in Minnesota.

Wait a minute. I live in Minnesota . . .

Rick

mechmann_mtb
    uhhh... they may have lumped biking with other wheeled sports. my sister is a severe brain injury patient. she crashed while riding a quad 17 yrs ago and fractured her skull in 4 places.

eto
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'd be interested to see how they defined "brain injury." It could encompass a broad variety of head injuries including mild concussions. Obviously, a mild concussion isn't a good thing, but it's not something to get as excited about as if they defined it as turning people into veggies or something. But overall, it makes sense biking leads to more head injuries. Relatively high speed combined with little protection when a crash occurs, it's expected.

mtbr member

That's why you should wear a helmet...

and not be too much of a risk taker. But sometimes accidents just do happen. So keep your head in that brain bucket.