Jump in

Serious Injury, Chicopee GA

I don't personally know this fellow, he is the friend of a coworker. He injured his neck yesterday at Chicopee Woods and was life-flighted to Grady Memorial Hospital. This is an excerpt of the email I was forwarded regarding his condition:

Right now Matt should be at Sheppard's Spinal Center. He is conscience and in good spirits. He has some movement in his shoulders, legs and ankles. As soon as Matt gets to Sheppard's he will get his first MRI to see where the problem lies. The MRI may reveal that the answer may be surgery or rehabilitation.
    From his physical exam Matt has central chord syndrome, which means messaging from C4-C8 in his spinal chord is being cut off. Rehab will be required for approximately 6 weeks.

I have cropped it some to remove personal information. They are not sure if he will require surgery or rehab. Obviously the MTB community here in Georgia is wishing for the best.

Please keep Matt in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Tebr73; 03-18-2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: adding info to title

Jump in
    Matt has regained some use of his legs and is able to move his right arm. He is at Sheppard's Center, starting his rehab. From what I hear, he's not letting this get him down and he expects to walk out of Sheppard's in a few weeks with his hands raised in victory.

Jesus loved the dinosaurs
    Good to hear. Sounds like he's going to be ok. Do you know what happened?

Jump in
    From what I understand he was on the Chicopee Trail and I assume he was either on the Outer Loop or Lake Loop because he was apparently near I-985 when he went down. Again, I wasn't there, but I understand he hit a root, covered in wet leaves, in a turn and immediately augured in. He went down so fast he never got his hands out in front of him. Busted up his helmet and, from what I'm told, hit so hard that he bounced fully off the ground before he came to a stop. The story he told my coworker was that he came too and was looking at his hands, but couldn't make them move. I don't know about you, but I got more than a little tense when I think about that scenario.

He's apparently one of those guys who won't let this get him down and is planning on a full recovery. I'm hoping he's right.

Jump in
    Matt is now able to move both arms and legs. He is doing PT, with results showing progress every day. Prognosis is good, with no promises made, but expectations are high.

From the Care Page:

"...We also had his medical conference today and the doctor basically talked about his injury and the fact that the spinal cord is such a mysterious thing. He said that Matt's progress is very impressive and he expects him to continue progressing, but that there are no guarantees. He said he can fully recover or could stop progressing tomorrow (but he said he does not expect that to be the case)..."

Please keep our fellow mountain biker Matt in your thoughts.

Thanks

Jump in
    If anyone would like to leave good wishes for Matt, his care page at Sheppard Spinal Center can be visited at the following site:

http://www.carepages.com/ServeCarePa...entupdatebrand

You'll have to sign up. Matt and his family would appreciate all support.