Bike Geek

Serious endo = bilateral slings

Ouch!

I had bad endo on Saturday going down a steep, loose section (wheels locked up, skidding, front tire found something solid, I end up staring at the ground from 6 feet in the air, etc.). I thought I rolled and took most of the hit on my shoulder but my arms were hurting too.

After taking a second to make sure everything was connected I walked the bike out the last hundred feet or so to the road with the help of my riding buddies. After a painful 2 mile road ride back to the car, and an excruciating drive home (stick shift) I cleaned up and had the wife take me to the ER.

I ended up with a 2nd degree A-to-C shoulder separation and fractured radial neck on the right, and a fractured radial head into the elbow joint on the left.

Ouch!

I'm in slings for a couple of weeks and then I go in for physical therapy. No riding for a couple of months, probably. At least I got the splints off that I was in over the weekend and can take care of myself now - the wife can only be expected to do so much.
    Last edited by Rower_CPU; 05-01-2007 at 09:03 AM.

Who are the brain police?
    Ouch is right! Time to stock up on MTB magazines...
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Bike Geek
    Yeah, magazines, videos and the forums are going to keep me going for a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Magazines and message boards are torture. I have only been out a week and it is horrible reading and thinking biking. Sorry to hear of your accident...get well

Bike Geek
    Hmm, so does anyone have recommendations for recently released videos?

I have Roam, The Collective, Offroad to Athens, NWD6, and Fundamentals...I think I might wear them out in the next few weeks.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Kranked 6, dude.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Bike Geek
    Looks good - lots of freeriding plus Leech doing his wild trials stuff. I'll have to check it out.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Also the Drop In collections, mostly because you get to know and love the riders. You feel really bad for them when one of them eats it, because you actually care.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Bike Geek
    2 weeks later and I'm out of the slings!

Left arm and right shoulder are doing good. Right arm needs some PT to regain range of motion. A couple of weeks more of resting and no heavy lifting, but I can start trying to jog/stationary bike (recumbent).

Bike Geek

My Final Update

After 4 weeks I got more x-rays taken and the doc said I was healing well and could start easing back into some activity. I focused on stretching and my range of motion for a couple of weeks and went on a couple of short runs to get back into some cardio work.

Last week, after 6 weeks of healing, I did a spin class, some light weights and did 2 short rides. My left arm aches a little bit on the bike from the vibration, but other than that I was A-OK!

I'll be easing back into heavier upper body weights as my shoulder comes back (it's still a little stiff/weak) and longer rides as my conditioning/confidence comes back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Nothing like that first time back on the bike

Everyone who goes through time off the bike because of injuries I'm sure feels the same as I did, a combination of joy/relief/paranoia/exhaustion (how'd I lose my fitness so fast?!?) but above all, for me at least, was the liberation I felt just feeling the bike under me and the wind in my face. Great to hear you're riding again.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-18-2007 at 05:54 AM. Reason: more words

Bike Geek
    Yup, that first ride back was exhilarating, even if tinged with a couple of paranoid moments. It felt like 6 weeks was way off in the future when it first happened but it came and went so quickly.

My one piece of advice for anyone recovering from an injury like this is to take it slow but make sure you can get mobile as soon as possible. I might've been more comfortable in casts for the first couple of weeks but I really think my quick healing and not losing too much strength/range of motion are due to being able to move my arms throughout the healing process.