Thread: separated ribs

mtbr member

separated ribs

I feel lame posting this with all the other more serious injuries I've read about here, but... What has others' experience been with separated ribs? A couple of mine were separated on a fall last Wednesday and I'm wondering how long it takes for it to not hurt when doing basic things like washing my hands and such... And then of course, how soon after the injury were you riding?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think a lot of your recovery time will be determined on a few factors, your age, your fitness level, and the severity of your injury. I did a superman over my bars twice last year and landing hard on my shoulder and arm and damaged my ribs. It felt like my ribs had been ripped away from my sternum and spine. The first time it took about 3 weeks before I could start doing normal things like putting on my clothes without severe pain and 6 weeks before I could ride again without knocking the wind out of me. The second time was much worse and I was out for 14 weeks before I wasn't feeling the pain during normal movements. In both injuries I had trouble moving and breathing without severe pain for the first two weeks. Getting out of bed was hell. Ribs are no fun! My confidence is still recovering. Hope you start feeling better soon!

mtbr member
    Yikes! That sounds painful. Mine were dislocated on the chest side from my sternum, but I imagine the process of healing is almost the same. It's probably easier to keep my chest rested though than my spine, hopefully it will be a little more speedy. Thanks for the info. After the first 36 hours, it started to feel better and then it's just kind of been the same for the last four days...