mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Seat adjustment for a bad back

Hello,

I'm not sure where else to post this, so I'll try here first. I have a FS rig and everytime over the past few years when I ride, my back is sore on the right side from my right shoulder blade all the way down to just above my hip.

My left side feels fine but, the right side has enough discomfort to turn me off from going for a ride. At one time when going to a chiropracter I was shown an xray that showed almost no disc at the bottom of my spine or somewhere near. Also I remember seeing about an inch or so difference from the same area on the left side vs the right side.

This being said, is there a seat post or seat that can have rise on the right to balance out my body? Perhaps maybe a bike fit? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am thinking about wrapping tape around my right handle bar grip before I ride today, so I'll post back on how that feels.

Thanks,

Gripshift
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    1 inch??!?!? holy messed up back batman! Story time!!!

I've got a short leg which is basically when your like pelvis is uneven. That kind of sounds like what you have there but mine is only 1/4 inch on my left side . However, 1/4 inch was enough to cause severe pain for me coming from a tennis background. I have been able to correct it with very expensive custom orthopedic inserts. Well about 3 years ago I went ice skating with some friends and somebody stole my shoes with the nice orthopedic inserts in them . I refused to pay for another expensive pair of inserts so I decided to see if my back had fixed itself. No dice. After dealing with the pain for some more time I decided enough was enough. I went to Sports authority and bought some cheap inserts for my shoes but the trick was that I only placed them on one side. I placed arch supports in both but only heel lifts in one. Needless to say, with all these inserts, my short stature became about 1 inch taller . After playing some more tennis in them I decided that tennis shoes weren't giving me enough ankle support (crucial for tennis) so I removed that inner sole on my right side and the heel lift on my left and that did the trick. It's been about 2 years since I've done that and I've had no pain thus far.

With that said, I'd recommend going to your sporting goods store and picking out some inserts to even out the length of your legs. Play around with them in the store and have somebody look at your kneecaps to see if they are level. That's a cheap alternative to those expensive orthopedics. I highly doubt that any company makes a saddle with on side that can raise and lower as that seems highly uncomfortable. If that doesn't work you could always try a shorter crank on one side. Try that out for a little while and If that doesn't work definitely go back to the Chiropractor. They really do help ya!

Best of luck!

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've had pain before from a poor road bike fit. My chiropractor at the time suggested that I raise the handlebars and that alleviated the pain My advice is to get a good fit, the fitter may not know specifically what is causing your pain - but a proper fit that takes into consideration your frame geometry and body position, is designed to allow you to apply maximum power without compromising muscular/skeletal structures that would inevitably cause you pain.

mtbr member
    See a physical therapist or good personal trainer and figure out what is wrong with your back. Sounds like the problem has nothing to do w cycling.