mtbr member

Season ending injury

It seems likie every year in september, I have a crash that knocks me off the bike for about a month and pretty much ends my riding season. Last year, I endo'd, and the palm of my right hand landed hard on a rock. I lost a big chunk of skin off the palm of my hand and also bruised it pretty badly. Two years ago, I opened up my right shin when I slipped off my pedals (platform) doing a wussy little bunny-hop. Last week, I was riding up a freaking easy trail out of the saddle, and somehow smacked an embedded rock with my right foot on the high side of the trail. It shot me off the low side of the trail, and I took a tumble down the hill. The tumble wasn't so bad, but I really mashed my big toe on my right foot. Fortunately, it's getting better, and this should only cost me a week. I don't crash that often (2-3X/year), but it always seems to happen around now. Does this happen to anyone else, or am I just a big loser?

Double-metric mtb man
    I get my fair share, but generally not as much this time of year.

Where I live, things are generally wet (which means limited riding to preserve the trails), snowy or icy (both of which throw up the brakes on the more agressive riding) once September rolls around. That being said, if we get a return to some nicer weather, I might tempt fate if things dry out for a couple days.

Hope you heal up soon, Elvis
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Hope you heal up soon, Elvis
    I can't complain, this one isn't so bad. I do have a purple big toe now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Out there in boulder seems like the weather can still get pretty warm at any given moment so try not to let it end your season...
    I just broke my thumb after 10 years of riding and this is the worst so far (knock on wood)
    I am determined to get back out there before the end of OCT even if its cool to cold...just got armour today (3 days to late) and some other warm weather gear...the break isnt so bad and the doc said 3-4 weeks to heal im shooting for 3 (lots of milk and cheese :-)

The thing i cant stand is whenever i get hurt it always seems to be doing something "softcore" like bike stops cant clip out tip over onto sharp rocks or mistimed 1 footer front end dives endo (tho that one should have put me in the hospital...i walked/limped away)
    this one i hit a 1 1/2 footer on a downhill that was still wet and i had never rode b4 bike landed awkward and another drop right after tires washed out and slammed into a tree (trees really like me for some reason)

Last edited by wyatte; 09-20-2006 at 01:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatte
    Out there in boulder seems like the weather can still get pretty warm at any given moment so try not to let it end your season...
    Well, I got in a quickie last night, so it only kept me off the bike for a week. Yay! The toe's sore to walk on, but it doesn't bother me on the bike. I just have to stay on the non-technical trails for a while, because bailing could be painful. Hope your thumb heals alright. There's not much you can do when you screw up your hand but let it heal.