breathing helium

To scope or not to scope?

My left knee has given me post ride pain and weakness for going on 10 years. Most of the pain is one spot low on the inside of the knee, but also along the same plane across the knee. It also hurts all over sometimes...back, above, below, radiating up and down back of leg, etc...

I've had it MRI'ed on 3 occasions but the docs say that they don't see anything wrong with it. They don't see any tears or anything. Each has said that the only way to know for sure is to scope it. I'm reluctant to have it scoped if he'll get in there and find that everything is fine.

I've done all of the physical therapy with no results.

Today I had an appt. with a ortho in Seattle who I will probably have scope it next month. He examined me and said it sounds like a classic meniscal issue, though the MRI shows no problem. He also said that I can not hyper extend my left knee as far as I can my right knee.

I'm at a crossroads. The pain is not unbearable, but I'm tired of not riding as much as I'd like and having to adjust the position of my knee when sitting in a chair to find a comfortable spot. I favor it and my right knee is starting to hurt. I just don't want to send up worse off than I am now. I hear some of you saying that it is worse now that pre surgery. This concerns me as maybe I should just leave it alone.

I know a lot of you have had this type of procedure. What to do?

Master of None
    My surgeon said he does not really trust MRIs. He has been a doctor for 24 years and all the nurses say he knows his stuff. I did not have a MRI.

I did my scope surgery knowing that he might not find anything, but I would rather know it is ok than not know at all. He did find the tear and fixed it up.

So far my recovery is going great although I am post-op less than a week.

I am not sure why the knee is worse post-op for other people; I don't logically see why cleaning up an already torn meniscus can make the knee worse. I watched the surgeon while he was inside my knee and he basically trimmed back all the torn up meniscus and that was it. You could see the torn meniscus, it was all shredded looking.

breathing helium
    Thanks Presslab. I'm really hoping for the best. At this point I'm just tired of the nagging pain all the time. Is it 100% debilitating? No. Does it bug the living shaiza out of me? Yes. Does it keep me from riding as much as I'd like to? Yes.