Thread: Saddle soreness

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Saddle soreness

hey whats the best way to help with saddle soreness, paticulary a blister maybe. yeah i got one right in the place where the sun don't shine. hurts the most when i get back in the saddle. didn't really start to hurt till i started whering bibs, may be the bibs rub the wrong way.

whats a good way to go?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    keep riding your body will get used to it. I'm dreading my saddle break-in when the weather breaks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I've tried probably 25 saddles

and finally found the one that fits me. There's a saddle for every behind and for me that's the WTB Rocket V Pro SE from Performance. No stitching (I just cannot handle any stitching on a saddle--took me years to realize that). I've bought expensive saddles, cheap saddles and only this one fits me correctly. Just because you think a saddle is a good one, doesn't matter, it's all about how it you feel after multiple 3 and 4 hour rides. Season long saddle sores are a thing of the past.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Paste eater
    1st rule to cycling:

You break in your a$$ not your saddle.

That being said, if blisters persist, something else is wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I agree, breaking in a saddle is a myth

Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    1st rule to cycling:

You break in your a$$ not your saddle.

That being said, if blisters persist, something else is wrong.
    It's like shoes in a store. Why buy a pair that hurts the first time you put them on? Same thing with saddles. I thought they'd "break in" and the blisters would vanish. Wrong. First I eliminated stitching, then I eliminated any saddle that just didn't feel right right away. It took awhile but...I'm just saying, your current saddle is not your friend.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    you can also get a bad enough blister such that riding is not really possible while healing..
    it happend to me after a 9 hr ride where i just wasn't lubing up enough, i also had the chance to change shorts during this race and i just didn't want to stop riding so i didn't (big mistake) the shorts and the saddle had been fine before and have been fine since it was just too long a ride and i wasn't moving around enough on the long a$$ climbs.. 'couldn't ride for a week the blister was so bad. then i was fine.

i'm a big fan of A&D ointment.. others sure do like the chamois butter...
    i know theres another thread on this topic around here somewhere under endurance racing, i think.

mtbr member
    Yes, you break in your butt, I do not use a pad I cut them out. Its just about time in the saddle plain and simple.

IMG_2024.JPG

Gone Bamboo
    I don't know man I can recall my old cheapo SS when I was a kid and the folded steel wasn't very comfy at all, it was PAINFUL to ride especially in bumpy areas or slamming back down onto the seat. Gel is the only way I see to go. Those plastic seats, as featured above, are even worse then the folded steel with a thin layer of plastic over it.
    National Economic Security And Reformation Act

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    rub some Bag Balm on there, that will do some good let me tell you

Gone Bamboo
    What I want is some hover seat suspension, have like, cold impulse rockets just hover the seat. The seat would be like, silicia that forms automatically to the riders maximus. It probably has some kind of CPU implant. Haha
    Last edited by UmbrousSoul; 04-12-2008 at 11:35 AM.
    National Economic Security And Reformation Act

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RockadileSX
    rub some Bag Balm on there, that will do some good let me tell you
    X10000

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Try chamois butt'r...I find it MUCH better than bag balm (bag balm is very thick, hard to spread, doesn't hold up very long and not water soluble and hard to clean your hands after putting it on....just my .02 though). Also, I take a shower as soon as I can after riding and use neosporone in the area almost daily - for some reason it takes all soreness/tenderness out of the area even after long rides and will quickly heal any abrasions and potential saddle sores.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i like the AsMaster stuff the best....much much better than Bodyglide.

Brave Soldier works good, too

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Even though I follow all the normal recommendations, I seem to be prone to saddle sores. This is what I have found works for me. I mix generic Desitin (4oz), triple antiobiotic (1oz), and antifungal cream (.5oz) together in a covered container. Cost is about $6 and last me a few months. I apply a thin layer before all my rides, with an additional layer of Utterly Smooth for my long rides. I apply another thin layer if I notice any irritations after my shower.

Edibles
    lower your saddle.Less side to side action.