mtbr member
    Jul 2003

saddle related injury

I went spinning a month ago and now I'm having trouble urinating. I think it was the saddle. It wasnt very comfortable and was definitely hitting my soft tissue area hard. Now it seems like I can never empty my bladder fully. I went to the doctor and he checked my prostate, which is fine, but now I have to goto a urologists. Anyone have a similar injury? This actually happened in november too, but it went away after a week. This time it seemed to take a month to set in and hasnt gone away in over a week.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    This is a 'GO STRAIGHT TO THE DOCTOR' injury.

Loss of bladder control (either way) can be a sign of a serious spinal condition.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

wed

I'm going to a urologist Wednesday.. it's the earliest appointment I could get.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The good news is there's plenty of drugs to treat those symptoms but you are probably in for a scope or scan to see if there is any damage or growth. Things down there take forever to heal, I've been down for 8 months and counting with a tailbone flexing into the prostate. Not fun, but I've been sneaking a ride every couple of weeks just to test things out. Get it checked out as soon as possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGT101
    I went spinning a month ago and now I'm having trouble urinating. I think it was the saddle. It wasnt very comfortable and was definitely hitting my soft tissue area hard. Now it seems like I can never empty my bladder fully. I went to the doctor and he checked my prostate, which is fine, but now I have to goto a urologists. Anyone have a similar injury? This actually happened in november too, but it went away after a week. This time it seemed to take a month to set in and hasnt gone away in over a week.
    Good luck on Wednesday. Replace the saddle on Thursday. I just replaced a saddle on my road bike that hurt my soft areas with one that hurts my butt- a good trade but I'm still looking for that perfect saddle.
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    they didn't really find anything, but I might have to go back for further tests. Since I currently have few symptoms and can empty my bladder completely (they tested this) they were reluctant to do anything invasive.... so as of right now I'm just going to keep off the bike for a while and when I finally do return, I'm getting a new saddle with a center hole or channel..

not exactly the news I wanted to hear, I was hoping they would have done some kinda scan to look for a problem. He told me to closely monitor the situation and return in a few months..

mtbr member
    they didn't really find anything, but I might have to go back for further tests. Since I currently have few symptoms and can empty my bladder completely (they tested this) they were reluctant to do anything invasive.... so as of right now I'm just going to keep off the bike for a while and when I finally do return, I'm getting a new saddle with a center hole or channel..

not exactly the news I wanted to hear, I was hoping they would have done some kinda scan to look for a problem. He told me to closely monitor the situation and return in a few months..
    It's actually pretty good news when a doctor doesn't want to do more tests. They're taught "defensive medicine" in medical school- run all test anytime it can possibly be something more serious than it seems. So if they don't want more tests they have to be convinced that it's nothing more than a soft tissue injury that will sort itself out. Now you can worry about saddle shopping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

saddle injury

I really hope so. Something is definitely going on down there. If I'm constipated it's more difficult to go which might suggest something is pressing against something down there.

I will probably go for further tests over the summer as per his recommendation unless this thing completely goes away.

mtbr member
    I really hope so. Something is definitely going on down there. If I'm constipated it's more difficult to go which might suggest something is pressing against something down there.

I will probably go for further tests over the summer as per his recommendation unless this thing completely goes away.
    The good news is that it happened immediately after a ride, suggesting an injury, not a growth. (And swelling, irritated tissue would be 'pressing' down there.) But like the doc suggested, if it doesn't go away then maybe it's time for a closer look.

Check out the Specialized Body Geometry saddles. They're supposed to have scientific testing proving improved blood flow down there. The BG saddle I just bought (Avatar) for my road bike busts my butt, but no more sore crotch. Still, saddle fit is a personal thing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I love the Avatar, just be sure to get the right width for your sit bones. They have a foam pad thing to sit on.