Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Known to rely on calcium.

New question here. Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?

I had to shift some furniture earlier today when I got a sharp twang that reminded me of an old 'war wound' I got riding 18 months ago.

For my efforts, I received a busted and dislocated left shoulder from when I tackled a see-saw that see'd, but didn't saw Took me out of action for three months and it still plays up every now and then.

So let us know the worst of your injuries. Do you still have the scars? Let's see the full colour photo's

Sam.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
    [Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.]

what a joke
    Nothing major so far, touch wood. Heaps of shin and forearm scars though, chicks dig them dont they?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Nothing major here either. A lot of bruising and lost skin but thats it. Nothing exciting really. Hopefully it stays that way too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Smashed collarbone (it was in four pieces) - five weeks ago, still recovering

Suppose you want to see the x-ray, nasty bruise I had and the big lump of bone pushing against the skin I now have?

Good job! Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by nickobec
    Suppose you want to see the x-ray, nasty bruise I had and the big lump of bone pushing against the skin I now have?
    Yeah... go on then

Trail rider and racer
    4 Stitches in my right knee - Thats it... In that same fall I think I came very close to breaking my collar bone, because I was in some pain for a good deal of time, and couldn't drive, but I got over it...

Been lucky thus far...
    Trev!

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Sam. do you want the messiest or the most painful?

Messiest: ~dozen stiches, a jigger of blood lost, buggered helmet, lost parts of the headset?, pinched my favourite tube, 1 month without riding to prevent infection, 2 weeks at home not doing much besides so MTBR hovering, 2 weeks no work, mid-30s of antibiotic capsules.

Most painful: Half of the wang-chungs that do happen. (Not funny for me, but to the observer...?)

--------------------------
    Yeah go on nickobec, X-ray of the FUBARed collarbone. Four places... ouch!

mtbr member

It Hurts!!!

had a few cracked ribs [ both sides in different accidents ]
    broken finger in altercation with cab on cleveland st in Sydney.
    major concussion / abrasions and very nearly did collarbone in collision with car in Adelaide.

have yet to have a really bad one on the trail......touch wood.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Only a few cuts and knocks to the knees and legs so far, and a bit of gravel rash on the elbows and hands. Nothing major so far!!

Oh, and I got winded when some prick decided to play hero on his first lap in a 12 hour a while back. More damage to my bike then anything.

Cheers, Dave

Reminds me of....

Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Only a few cuts and knocks to the knees and legs so far, and a bit of gravel rash on the elbows and hands. Nothing major so far!!
    my first really decent stack. I had a total of about a month's worth of MTB'ing experience under my belt, and I was starting to get a bit too confident. I think there is a medical term for it ("Wade Simmons Disorder" )

I spent half an hour pushing my bunky old K-Mart special to the top of a local DH trail (the surface was so loose and rocky, you could barely walk it let alone than ride it!) Standing at the precipice, I launched myself off the edge (feet not locked in, body position nicely over the handlebars , I made it all of about 10 metres before I went over the handlebars. The amazing thing was, that after I bit the dust, my body seemed to accelerate as it slid along the ground.

The left hand side of my body resembled one big crusty scab for a month after that - it certainly gave me something to do when there wasn't much on TV

And so came into being, my first (personal) golden rule of MTB'ing - "If you can't even walk it, don't try to ride it"

[SIZE=1]Never did go back to that trail.[/SIZE]

Sam.

Reviewer/Tester
    Three broken ribs after crashing and hitting a rock edge-on. The walk out was very painful and breathing was a nightmare.

Finally got home after a long solo ordeal of pain and the missus said.. "you're late for dinner!"..

I remember having to use a rope tied to the foot of the bed to help me sit up in the mornings while I was healing.

Very painful... lol.

R.

mtbr member
    MTB'ing (so far) = minor cuts & scratches to the legs, versus karate = broken ribs, broken nose, broken toes (& one almost torn off) and frequent significant bruising to various parts of the body.
    I wouldn't give up either though!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

X-ray time

Yeah go on nickobec, X-ray of the FUBARed collarbone. Four places... ouch!
    Ok here is the X-Ray, could not find the photos of my whole shoulder in various shades of purple and yellow and the current photos do not clearly show the lump.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TR
    Angry bunny
    Nothing much to report here.
    Two dinner plate size bruises on my left hip on two seperate occasions. One from getting a little too confident on a table top style jump at Whistler in October and another from a seemingly simple bunny hop off a small drop on a trail in Brisbane. Managed to land in some loose sand on the side of the trail and was catapulted head first toward a tree about a foot off the trail. I can remember wondering how big that tree was as I flew through the air towards it. Still got a lump on my hip from that after 4 weeks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    One from getting a little too confident on a table top style jump at Whistler
    aaahhhh Whistler. I think I can relate to that story. I had been riding in Vancouver for about 2 1/2 months, mostly on the trails on Mt Fromme on the Nth Shore. I had only ever ridden XC in and around Canberra before arriving in Vancouver, so it was quite a step up to say the least.

Anyway, I got to Whistler and was very excited. I had been riding ok and feeling pretty chuffed. I was getting the hang of A line, and decided to give "Dirt MErchant" a go.

I was riding pretty smoothly (for me) and saw the sign saying "gap ahead". Stupidly, I thought it meant a double jump, and figured I could just ride through the jump.

It was actually a drop off from a rock maybe 4-5 foot - maybe less but I never did go back to check. Suffice to say, I landed on my front wheel due to indecision.

results - 2 broken ribs, a broken wrist, and a grade 2 tear of AC joint. Did not ride again for 3 months...

Not happy Jan, but god bless armour and full face helmets!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Once I didn't see a tree branch and it scratched my arm, no blood though.
    It's not that I don't ride hard, I'm too skilled to fall off!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    8 weeks ago I flipped over the bars off a steep wooden ramp onto my collarbone + smashed it pretty well.I had a plate put on it + have been back riding for 2-3 weeks nothing heroic yet. Will use body armor for anything serious .

mtbr member
    MTB'ing (so far) = minor cuts & scratches to the legs
    Not any more!! Went up to have a look at the first two days of the Wildside race last week. Took our bikes (of course), got to some of the stages early and rode parts of them. Coming down to the finish of the Montezuma Falls stage I hit a branch lying at an angle across the track, the front wheel slid along the branch and then slid out to the right. The bike then flicked back to the left and slid out from under me - I hit the ground at about 40km/h resulting in a cracked helmet, gravel rashed arm & leg, torn shirt & shorts and a shredded back pack.
    Apart from that the Wildside was awesome, might have a go next year if I have a bike again! Washed them last Sunday morning & left them in the diveway to dry - about 3m from our front door. In the space of 30 minutes some bogan kids pinched them - we know who they are but the police haven't been able to catch them yet. Hopefully we will get them back in one piece!!

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Montezuma is an awesome stage - I think I know that exact stick that you're talking about too - I jumped it a few weeks back and though then that it would be nasty if it got damp...... You can fair fly down that DH hey!! You don't think it's all that steep, but it's plenty long enough to make a go of it.

Sorry to hear about your bikes!!

Send your details of the bikes and someones contact details to me either via PM or email

djrayner(at)postoffice.utas.edu(dot)au

and I'll get in sent out through a tassie MTB email list I can get access to. Will get a message put up at the CBCC website too. http://www.cbcc.community.net.au

The list is state-wide, so it'll get some coverage.

I had a friend who had a (new) bike stolen on the coast, and it wound up in hobart, freshly washed, polished - and had a new pair of grips and nice new tires installed!! Talk about service!!

I hope you get them back soon,

Dave.

mtbr member
    just got my new bike. third ride out testing the limits of the suspension i found it and came off and broke my rib.i think it hurts more waiting till it heals so i can go riding again.This particular section of trail has caught a few people out of late so the hosipital tells me.Before that stiches in right knee.Concussion from clipping a tree at speed and dislocating right shoulder.

mtbr member
    More frequent than serious. Scratches & bruises etc. I'm much better now than I used to be. When I first got into riding early last year I used to come off on most rides. The kids developed the habit every time I'd get back home they would ask "Did you hurt yourself this time dad?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've just been diagnosed with my worst injury from cycling - skin cancer!

I trained on the road 6-8 hours a day for over ten years, never wore a helmet, never wore a hat, never used sunscreen, and now at the age of 34 I've got the type of skin cancer found in people in their sixties. I've got no one to blame but myself.

I'm yet to have an operation to remove the cancer, but as it is on the tip of my nose a chunk of my nose will be going with the cancer, and then skingrafts and surgery to replace what is taken off.

mtbr member

Well...

Well I have had a few stacks in my 8 or so years as an MTB rider... A Majority of them have been recentish too, as I seem to take my riding more seriously, and take on alot more technical terrain...

Chapter One:
    The air was cool, and the big freshly preped for this days ride, the bikes first ride! Well it started out well but went sourish, big fire road slog which generally involves granny gear- appon beginigh the ascent I realize my bike wont shift onto the granny ring so I crank and pant, grunt and stomp my way up the hill using the 32/30 gearing combo that god desided to make me use

Up top of the hilL I met a riding partner, if you could call her that- our first time riding together. The bike felt soo good at the time- we soon headed down one of my favorite pieces of single track...

Well there is a rather large boulder, down this trail, I know I have riden over it, riden around it etc... a Dozen or so times. Well this time I went straight over the top, nosedived- the front bit in hard and over I go: I do actually remember looking up while in the air and seeing my bike coming down on top of me Thud!!! I landed flat on my back, but only after smashing my wrist on a rock on the way down; the bike just missed me (thank god!). After composing myself I got up, with a nice squashed backpack on now Eventially went home after riding back to the botom of the trail and seeing the medics that were at the Local DH race that day.

What I got:
    1x Fractured Distal Radius
    1X Serverly Muscle damaged Hand (which is still stuffed I might add)
    1X Fractured Big Toe
    1x Now Problematic Ankle
    Verious Bruses and Cuts...

4 weeks of work

Previous Injuries:
    1x Broken Right Elbow
    2X Broken Left Elbow (yes seperate times)
    1X Broken Toe (also bike related, same area actually though 5 years prior)
    Cartlidge Damaged Knee.

As you can see loads of injuries, Non of them have kept me from being incredably stupid though I still enjoy life as it comes though I am starting to settle down a little, I'll always be a kid with my toys
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated ********.

Good job! We have a winner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CulBaire
    What I got:
    1x Fractured Distal Radius
    1X Serverly Muscle damaged Hand (which is still stuffed I might add)
    1X Fractured Big Toe
    1x Now Problematic Ankle
    Verious Bruses and Cuts...

4 weeks of work

Previous Injuries:
    1x Broken Right Elbow
    2X Broken Left Elbow (yes seperate times)
    1X Broken Toe (also bike related, same area actually though 5 years prior)
    Cartlidge Damaged Knee.
    Holy crap! Huge effort Culbaire - most impressive!!! With all of these injuries, I reckon you must 'creak' when you walk!

Cheers,

Sam.

Pedalphile

Well just got word of my worst

Looks like I have a torn shoulder with Bursitis..

Here's another strange injury I got the same day.. Heading back through the trail, saw a larger diameter branch sticking out into the trail. They say you go where your eyes go. Even though consciously I was wanting to move to the right to avoid, the damn thing, sharp end and all, drove into my left thigh leaving a swollen, purple, softball sized mark. Now I have a permanent indenture in my thigh that is very visible, almost as though I was impaled, yet the outer skin was not punctured.
    [SIZE=3]"A witty saying proves nothing."- Voltaire[/SIZE]

Eric

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast