Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Worst and only riding related injury was from when a car pulled out in front of me while training on the road.
    Seperated and shattered left collarbone. It wouldn't heal, so they removed it after 6 months.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Life is Good
    I damaged a joint in the knuckle of my middle finger last fall and had to wear a brace for awhile, but it healed up so no surgery was needed. Know what did it? A thorn lol.

Other than that, nothing worse than road rash and a nice gash across my face, which actually went over my eye (slicing my eyelid) without touching anything vital.

Some of you guys have some pretty hardcore injuries though...
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

i worship Mr T
    end of my first season mtb'ing (1998): endoed & shattered pelvis, broke wrist, tore rotator cuff (off the bike for 3 months)

spring 2001: swan dived off a log stunt in Whistler, BC - compression fracture in vertebra C-6 (off the bike for 5 months)

ouch.

rt
    Last edited by *rt*; 08-25-2006 at 09:23 AM.
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

i worship Mr T

bubble wrap!

Quote Originally Posted by washedup
    most serious had to getting hit head-on by a cab that pulled out over the double yellow to pass. 1 fractured skull and 2 broken arms. had a blood clot on my brain and ended up with double vision for a week. the headaches the double vision caused were so bad as to keep me in bed the whole time.

most blood was when i went over the bars after clipping a jump with my front wheel when picking up for it in a bmx races. landed face first breaking my nose, 2 front teeth and biting my tongue off almost drowning in my own blood on the way to hospital.

hyper-extended knee was the most rehab. broken tibia, ACL removed, torn pletela tedon and menecus. two surgeries and 8 months of rehab later, back on the bike.

full list of injuries includes, 6 broken arms, a broken collar bone, broken femur, broken hip, broken tibia, 2 skull fracture
    have you every considered wrapping youiself in bubble wrap for protection?!

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nothing major here as i have been lucky as a dog. But i did cause some problems for a kid once racing at the arenacross nationals. I was in 3rd place and the only spot i could catch the kid was by doing the dig double. 3rd lap and the time come for me to go for the pass. I hit the double and it shoots you up in the air about 30 feet and the landing was about 60 feet away. As I am in the air I was watching the poor kid and he suddenly disappears underneath me, I hurriedly looked on the otherside of my bike hopeing to see him come out from under me. No go. I left the bike at idle so I wouldn't chew him up so bad. I landed with my front wheel on his right collarbone/chest, my frame cased him in the lower back and my rear wheel was on the left side of his motorcycle. I landed totally crossed on top of him and smashed him between the 2 bikes. My front tire never even hit the ground and I was highsided off the bike landing on my left leg almost like stepping off the bike. Miracuously the kid stood back up and I could tell he was tore up, his right shoulder was about 6 inches lower than the left one. I apologized to him as the medics were takeing care of him and all the skin was ripped off from the front of the chest, up over his shoulder and all the way down his back disappearing into his pants. Boy oh boy did his mother chew me a new one. I told her I knew what was gonna happen and to minimalize the damage I landed with no power to the rear wheel. It was an accident that just happens. I forgot to wear my kidney belt that race(only time ever) and spent the next 14hrs. curled up in the front seat of the van on the way home from Denver in pure agony. It wasn't my worst but definately the most damage that I was involved in.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everybody has one and they usually stink.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by washedup
    most serious had to getting hit head-on by a cab that pulled out over the double yellow to pass. 1 fractured skull and 2 broken arms. had a blood clot on my brain and ended up with double vision for a week. the headaches the double vision caused were so bad as to keep me in bed the whole time.

most blood was when i went over the bars after clipping a jump with my front wheel when picking up for it in a bmx races. landed face first breaking my nose, 2 front teeth and biting my tongue off almost drowning in my own blood on the way to hospital.

hyper-extended knee was the most rehab. broken tibia, ACL removed, torn pletela tedon and menecus. two surgeries and 8 months of rehab later, back on the bike.

full list of injuries includes, 6 broken arms, a broken collar bone, broken femur, broken hip, broken tibia, 2 skull fracture

Good grief - broken femur and two skull fractures! I guess you are OK.

Take care,
    Terry

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Grade 3 AC seperation left, torn what ever it's called in rt shoulder, broken wrist, broken femur, multiple broken/seperated ribs, multiple cuts scratches, gouges and bruses. Shoot,, I need to ease up. Don't heal as fast at 51 as at 16.
    Last edited by zon; 08-25-2006 at 12:17 PM.

pronounced may-duh
    This thread is very discouraging. Like a train wreck you just cant look away. But all these injuries are telling me that on any given ride I could wake up at the bottom of a ditch in the woods all bloody and broken.

Worst I've done is dislocated my arm at the sholder doing a superman over the bars after my front tire folded over in a hard turn.

Brado: How do you rupture a calf?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    I think Chess is for you. One of those sets for kids with the big pieces that you can't choke on...
    dude same thing here. in gym class we were playing golf, i got hit in the face with a golf club, got an ambulance to the er from the school. then i had to get about 100 stitches to reattach everything back to my face.. and now the left side of my head is numb, doc says it will be numb for the rest of my life probably. haven't touched a golf club in 4 years haha.

Gravity Rides Everything
    i slapped my right knee on my handlebar twice in one season. bruised the crap out of my kneecap and related tissue lotta blood, lotta swelling, lotta pain. no ER though. just painful to ride or use stairs for about a month.

i've been very very lucky. riding for 8 years now.

mtbr member

Ouch

I took the girlfriend, who has been very cool about giving mt biking a try as she adores my passion for it, out for another ride yesterday. The trail was one that she has done a couple of times and has had fun. She has hypermobile/unstable shoulders already and took a fall about a month ago on the same trail and subluxed her R shoulder. Fast forward to yesterday. Out on the same relatively non-technical trail and she hits a soft sand spot on the flattest part of the trail and fall on her Left side. I heard a "pop" thinking it was her cleat clicking out right! After I tested her ankle stability, all looks ok, maybe just a bone bruise where she hit the groung with her ankle. A wierd pattern of swelling coaxes us to get some imaging, complete displaced oblique fx of the distal Fibula on the Right. The "pos" we heard was not her cleat, it was her bone breaking. Surgery scheduled for later this week.

I was just getting her comfort level up on the bike to the point where she was liking mt biking and now she doesn't want to touch one again.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Torn Testicle.

Yes. It hurt.
    No. It doesn't grow back.
    Yes. I have a prostetic.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    after endoing in a downhill rock garden i got a compression fracture of c6 also. rodeon for2 1\2 hrs. went to see my g.f. at work drank a couple of beers. two days later while moving a fridge i couldn't stand upright. off the bike for 6 weeks. still won't dide that trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Torn Testicle.

Yes. It hurt.
    Yes. I have a prostetic.

and we have a winner folks!!
    2007 Specialized Stumperjumper FSR Expert

mtbr member
    May 2006
    if anyone can top tearing a testicle i am quite interested in hearing it

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Torn Testicle.

Yes. It hurt.
    Yes. I have a prostetic.
    winner winner, chicken dinner. How long did it take to heal?

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Ummm, I had a couple of shin bites that left a scar or two

If you have more than that, than "YOU" FU'd.! You can blame it on whatever, but in the end, you got in over your experience level, testosterone driven or not, and got caught. Kinda like driving down an "empty" road at 120+ just to see how fast it can go until a cop pulls you over.

There is NO glory in hurting yourself, rather it is a sign of Macho stupidity and getting in over your head !! There is no such thing as an "accidental accident" in MB'ng. This is coming from a 52 yr old that's been rock climbing for 35 yrs at up to 5.13 and hardcore Mtn Bk'g for 20.

This thread is no better than a bunch of Gang Bangers standing around telling there 'Bro's how many people they've shot.

another bozo on the bus
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    If you have more than that, than "YOU" FU'd.! You can blame it on whatever, but in the end, you got in over your experience level, testosterone driven or not, and got caught. Kinda like driving down an "empty" road at 120+ just to see how fast it can go until a cop pulls you over.

There is NO glory in hurting yourself, rather it is a sign of Macho stupidity and getting in over your head !! There is no such thing as an "accidental accident" in MB'ng. This is coming from a 52 yr old that's been rock climbing for 35 yrs at up to 5.13 and hardcore Mtn Bk'g for 20.

This thread is no better than a bunch of Gang Bangers standing around telling there 'Bro's how many people they've shot.
    sometimes people get hurt whem they push themselves, in a race for instance. you dont know where your limit is unless you push it. i agree, there is nothing cool about injuring yourself, and i think it quite taboo to talk about injuries/crashes before or during a ride, but they can make for good stories and you can learn from the mistakes of others. lets face it, if we never pushed ourselves to the next level, most would still be pedaling around on training wheels afraid to scrape a knee.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

This was pretty painful...

I don't remeber the details of how/why, but here it goes..

On December 2, 2005 I was riding back to my apartment late at night following some heavy beer drinking and pump-track racing. Something happened around 10:30pm and couple saw me lying by the side of the road at about 12am. Unresponsive, I was taken by ambulance to the hospital with massive, life-threatening internal bleeding. Then I was in ICU for a week with a severly lacerated liver, numerous broken ribs, a herniated stomach, a broken tooth, and a lot of internal bleeding. I don't know what happened, doctors think it was a hit and run. Had it not been cold and snowing that night and those people not found found me, I would have bled to death. Grand total: 12 metal coils that now hold my liver together, a really fun root canal, $100k in medical bills, severe acid reflux, a semi-cool story (girls love near death stuff), and the ability to ride again. I'm not sure which was worse the 2 weeks in the hospital or the 6 weeks of no riding. The accident changed my life in a very positive way. I decided to quit binge drinking, move from the front range to the western slope, and spend as much possible time on my bike as possible from now on. Gotta keep on keepin on, lifes a garden, DIG IT!

2 weeks after (right side view):
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member

Wow..

Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    hmmm...
    2 knee reconstruction surgery, 1 shoulder reconstruction surgery, 1 broken elbow, 1 broken forearm, multiple broken ribs, and a concussion or 2, all in 10 years of riding.

the worst so far is the shoulder, hardest to come back from.
    I just recovered from my worst, a tangle with a couple trees resultsing in bruised left ribs and collapsed lung. Of course then I had to go right back and break a right rib.... just to even things out.

mtbr member
    Let's see...dislocated both shoulders (different times), sprained wrists and ankles numerous times, lots of skin taken off, and now am recovering from a broken tibia/fibula from when a truck hit me.

Riding is still fun!

Cheers

KavuRider
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    spring 2001: swan dived off a log stunt in Whistler, BC - compression fracture in vertebra C-6 (off the bike for 5 months)

rt
    5 months? I hadn't realized that fall caused you that much trouble! When I compressed my L-1 just over 2 years ago I was off the bike for 2 months, riding road only for a month or so after that, then gradually got into easy XC trails. I was riding Whizzler bike park again about 4 1/2 or 5 months after the injury! (although a bit more cautious on the bike then before)

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

mtbr member
    onbelaydave: You're wrong. Equipment failures, adverse trail conditions, there are so many things that can contribute to a crash. Its not always trying to "push the envelope" or being stupid.

KavuRider
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Broken arm, broken colarbone, broken ribs, cut over left eye that took 10 stitches, never had any road rash

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russman
    winner winner, chicken dinner. How long did it take to heal?
    Actually, I know of two other guys who have had the same thing, or close to it. One still has both of his guys.

After surgery, I was up and on the bike in about two weeks.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast