Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    mtbr member

My mouth hurted for a while

I landed hard on my face. Broke my cheek, my nose, my upper jaw, and wound up with 4 fake teeth on titanium screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Walter, the chinaman who peed on my rug, I can't go give him a bill!"

Pale Rider
    Left knee shattered tibial plateau.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    With my goldfish shorts swimming around my toes.

mtbr member
    Haven't had too many injuries beyond scrapes and bruises, except a couple years ago.
    One wreck: Dislocated shoulder, displaced clavicle, fractured thumb, fractured sternum, some pulled/torn shoulder ligaments, and 9 stitches in my elbow and side.
    Good times.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Flipped over my handlebars doing Dowhill at Whistler and the bike smashed my head. No visible marks or bruising on my head, but once I started getting headaches, ended up at Squamish general with a concussion and a 600 dollar bill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Man, you guys are making me feal bad. I went mountain biking for my second time today. I was flying on a downhill section and there was a big root then a right had turn. I didn't realize the root was there until I was airborne with no way to stop. I locked my rear brake in the air so when I landed I would start slowing down ASAP. I figured I wouldn't be able to make the turn, so new plan of action was just to go straight, and just crash off through the woods. The trail wouldn't have any of this nonsense, it wanted me to go right, I wanted to go straight, we met halfway and I just took a slight right. Guess what was also slightly to the right.......a tree. I managed to scrape my forearm, the side of my leg, and then kick the bejesus out of the tree. I launcehd of the bike bike, but my head/shoulder broke my fall about 10 feet later. I bent the double wall rim pretty bad, but my friend at the bike shop retrued it for me for free. RIght now I'm sitting with a bag of ice on my foot because my big toe is really swollen. Hopefully its not broken, cause I'm not going to the doctor.

huh?
    i know this is a common one...back in november somehow, i was riding and had my pedal down near the ground resting my legs and hit a small stump on the ground...foot somehow popped in front of the pedal and into the ground and big chainring proceeds to grind into my calf...received about 9 lovely bloody tattoos on my leg...stayed infected for about 2 wks and almost 8 months later still have some pretty ugly scarring from it..

geeser
    Apr 2009
    No real serious injuries other than bruised ribs. Isn't it funny though how much time you have to think about the pain as you are going over the bars and heading for sandstone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mouseslave
    No real serious injuries other than bruised ribs. Isn't it funny though how much time you have to think about the pain as you are going over the bars and heading for sandstone.
    Me too! I tried to pop over a couple of very small roots, washed out and landed on my rt. shoulder and bruised up my ribs on that side. The third day was the worse, i could barely get out of bed. I'm at work (4th day, not as bad today) and hope to be back in the saddle this weekend.

mtbr member
    Two years ago I pogo'ed off of a couple of 3' drops, over the handlebars and onto a soft bed of solid limestone. I split the top bone in my arm in two, at the end right, at the elbow.

The doc said, "This will take 12 months to get over." I thought, "No way, I will be back at it in 3." I carried a 5lbs weight in my left hand for months at work trying to get it to straighten out. It finally did...in about 12 months.

2 years later, it reminds me every ride after about 10 miles.

mtbr member
    What happened(pictures please)? crash 1 yr ago, now fundamentally recocverd from fractured c1, t3,t4 and concussion. But! Friday, was riding a fairly easy low intermediate trail, tried to pop over a couple of very small roots. Although I have sucessfull accomplished this several times before, somehow I caught the front wheel on something, over the bars onto my right side. It hurt like hell, but I could tell no broken bones.
    What broke?
    Ribs felt ok, it hurts to cough or laugh.
    How long were you out? Are you back riding yet?
    Day after felt no to bad but 3rd day I almost couldn't sit up and get out of bed. 4thday, I'm getting better, and will probably do some road biking this coming Memorial Day.

How's your riding now? Any long-term effects? now I have the residual from last years injuries, coupled with this weekends fun. I am keep Tylenol in business!

How much did it cost you?
    no money, only pain,
    How's the bike?
    the bike only got dirty, nothing broken or bent. I didn't feel like cleaing it with sore ribs.
    heh! Today I part of me misses riding and the other doesn't really want to look at a mt. bike for a while.

mtbr member
    Sorry no pics. I lost about 10% movement in my left arm forever I guess. This is not from lack of trying to bend it all the way either. I spend hours in agony trying.

I actually cracked my helmet's foam but the shell kept it together. I guess it saved me from a serious head injury.

It cost me about $2k when it was all done.

I was back on the bike in 6 months but nothing too hard for about 10 months and not from lack of trying either. The arm just would not work right.

The wreck blew the seals on my fork and it puked all of the fluid out of it. It was junk anyway. It is a Trek 4500 and I think that they made them from some indistructable metal from outer space. I am still riding it now...with the same wrecked fork. It sucks but almost have enough money packed away for my next bike, a G.F. Hifi.

Yes, it hurts a little, every ride. But, it is just a little less each time and I stirve for better fitness. It used to hurt after the first mile and now it is aroudn mile 8.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Back when I was 15, my buddy and I decided to get our old BMX bikes out and jump them into the river. We set a small ramp on the end of his pier and jumped off many times. After about 30 minutes, the pier is soaking wet, I came down the hill and onto the pier and the ramp fell into the water. I hit the brakes on the bike and, seeing how I was on wet wood with really bald tires, the bike washed out from under me. I flew in the air and next thing I knew I was on shore trying to breath. I gained composure after 30 min or so and looked at the pier. The posts come to a dull point on top and the entire pier was canted to the side about 10". From what my buddy told me (I totaly blacked it out), I flew from my bike and landed on one of the posts with my chest and went into the water. He looked for me under the water for a minute or so and finaly was able to drag me to shore. Went to the hospital and had xrays taken. I had tore my sternum on one side and seperated it from my ribs on the other. The doctor said I should be dead after taking a blow to the heart like that. I still have a dent in my chest from where my sternum USED to be and a huge chunk of scar tissue/relocated sternum right under it.

Needless to say, that buddy was my best man in my wedding.

FresnoGiant

Worst Injury

Broken scafoid in my left wrist a couple years ago. Trying a technical descent that I was not ready to be trying. Worst part was it was on Father's Day.

mtbr member

Compound/spiral Tib + oblique Fib fracture; surgery

Now I've got more titanium inside my leg than on a small-sized Litespeed frame-set... My season is OVER. Happened on a training ride two weeks ago for the Canada Cup and I was alone, so I spent an hour and a half holding my leg together just right so that I wouldn't pass out until I finally got a signal on my mobile phone to get help. After ten years of racing MX and riding MTB for 15, this is my first broken bone (I've had an AC/SC separation and two dislocated fingers), so I was due... And I made up for lost time. Brutal thing was that it didn't even happen through super-techy section of trail (I always back-off 5% in these sections when riding alone, even doing a race sim) - it happened coming out of a simple, flat corner when I washed-out the front end after miscalculating the available traction (and running a little too much tire pressure - Stan's conversion, here I come!). For some reason, I decided not to clip-out and save it and then just decided to go down with the slide. The ground then ripped my foot off the pedal facing 180 degrees backwards. Why couldn't this have happened in October? Gotta love Canadian universal health care. Enjoy the pics!
    Tired of costly ads? Try our "Marketing Publicity";
    www.loudspeakercommunications.com
    info@loudspeakercommunications.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman762
    Now I've got more titanium inside my leg than on a small-sized Litespeed frame-set... My season is OVER. Happened on a training ride two weeks ago for the Canada Cup and I was alone, so I spent an hour and a half holding my leg together just right so that I wouldn't pass out until I finally got a signal on my mobile phone to get help. Brutal thing was that it didn't even happen through super-techy section of trail (I always back-off 5% in these sections when riding alone, even doing a race sim) - it happened coming out of a simple, flat corner when I washed-out the front end after miscalculating the available traction (and running a little too much tire pressure - Stan's conversion, here I come!).
    the metal detectors are going to love you! Yes I know your pain!
    Ive had two on simple training runs that I have been over many times. the first on a down hill, I took a different line hit a boulder, results concusion, compressed and fractured c1, t3 and t4, that was last year. and yes it did hurt!! this year, it was flat and a missjudged popping a couple of small logs that I could have simply rolled over. results sore ribs and probably torn connective tissue. I'm on my third week, i fore see probably a monthe off the bike and starting all over again.
    as you can see in this thread, though you may feel alone, your are not.
    speedy recovery!
    Wayne

mtbr member

Crap

I have recently started mountain biking, and have been riding my old peice of crap raliegh serengeti, I have excelled quickly in single track, technical, and light downhill. I usually ride with my buddy who's been goin hard for about 4 years. So with a bunch of buds, we go to this abandoned ski hill, hes been raving about. I was ripping up the trail on the way there, but it was evident it was gunna be a bad day. One kid lost his pedal, another wrecked his tube. So we get to the hill and im just starting to get rolling and I hear in my head, oh crap, im not ready for this, i look down, and the hill 200meters long, straight down, 3meters wide, and littered with lose fist sized rocks. so 50m down, my back tires are drifting, and i turn way left, i hit the ground rolling, (im wearing knee/shin pads, gloves, and a helmet), and i dont even stick my arm out, but my side wrist was taking a lot of the blow. I get up, my buddy shout: " u ok?' i reply, " my wrist is broken. Evreyone rushes down concerened. We use my pads as a sling, and i then get delivered to the hospital via freinds parents. So at this point, my wrist looks like a fork, tht is slighly twisted ( wish i had pics), the nurses all are saying this is the wrost theyve ever seen, after x rays, im informed ive broken both bones in my wrist, 4 compound fractures, and i need surgery. I know have like 5 screws in my arm, and im outta the saddle for 6 weeks, and summer just started. Fist thing i get when i heal?? new kona blast 'o9 So i dont think i did to bad for newbie? (the buddy's mtbr account is headstrong 356, apparently hes a veteran on the forums)

Do it all or nothing
    Hope you get better man... And the DH course was really hard, not maintained and 100% natural. Last week some guy broke his neck on the hill... time to use my employe discount and hook the boys up with armour. Damn is the hill hard. Last week a kid broke his neck. Time to pull out the employe discount and hook up the boys with armour and the real goods. As a mechanic the bike is offiacially bust. The frame has slop and blown hubs. I have never seen such a bad bike ripped on like that. Well he sure is killing it.
    If it ain't broken... why the hell you fixin it!

KONA rules!!

If you miss the tranny... don't look down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Broke:
    nose
    fibula
    both wrists
    both ankles
    multiple fingers and toes
    couple knuckles
    jaw
    left arm
    left collarbone (twice)
    multiple ribs
    right foot
    right hand
    cracked skull (small crack)

compressed vertabrae
    sprained back (that really sucks)

And 9 concussions

There's lots of sprains and soft tissue stuff, but I forgot most of those. Kinda hard to single out which is the most serious. One of the concussions had me out for a long time and left me with memory problems, so I'd have to say that qualifies as my most serious.

mtbr member

all at once?

I assume these were all separate injuries! heh! You've bee a very busy boy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Most of them were separate. I like to spread out the breaks so my body has time to heal for the next one. Walking on crutches with a broken collarbone and broken foot is challenging. I tell ya, it helps to have an understanding (and supportive) girlfriend.

A friend of mine broke both scapulas once and both arms were immobile for a couple months. He told me that he really found out who his friends were when it was time to go to the bathroom.

mtbr member
    my other hobby is rc cars/ trucks. I race vicariously, and when I crash it doesn't hurt, just the pocket book. just saying.

idigscars
    Aug 2009
    Broke my collarbone on a dj'er when I was in high school thats has been the worse of the injuries

Did I catch a niner+?
    Double post

Did I catch a niner+?
    Broke:
    Arm twice in same place

Lacerated:
    My scrotum

I dare any man to beat this.

pink

Cross Country Rider
    Jan 2007
    In the same crash

Cut botton lip 3-4 stiches
    Nucked down the 2 front upper teeth and a few chipped teeth in button row
    Fractured right scaffold bone
    Bruises on my right arm and shoulder.
    Scraps in left leg.

I ride both mtn and road and during a collegiate road race last year in Massachusetts, I took a turn too wide and end up crashing into the road guard rail. Flew into a sing post in the other side of the guard rail, where I smashed my face and thanks to my helmet I only ended up with the damage listed above to my face.

I physically recovered in about 8 to 9 weeks and slowly started riding soon after with a supported right wrist. Finally 3 days ago I got my teeth fixed after a year of wearing a fake tooth since my insurance didn't cover the tooth implant.

Here is a pic of the helmet

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

close call

about two hours ago I had the worst crash that I've ever had on a mountainbike. front wheel got caught in a rut and I went over the bars, first my knee touched down then my chest slammed into a boulder. knocked the freaking wind out of my, couldn't get a breath for what seemed like a long time. I don't think anything is broken but it hurst a bit when I laugh or cough. knee has a nice furrow in it. oh well, **** happens, I thought I was dead meat when I saw that boulder coming at me. I wasn't goning all that fast, maybe 15mph. it was enough though.

Happy trails and get well soon!

Phil

Just Ride.
    Nothing serious compared to you guys...
    But when I was younger i was ridding my fathers bike with clipless pedals, in normal shoes. Foot slipped off landed on the ground in front of big ring which went straight into the back of my calve and a fairway through the muscle. Had a row of holes up my leg it left quite a fancy scar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Stuffed Collar bone.

I Am Two weeks Into A Broken Clavical, I went out for a Fairly Innocent Sunday afternoon Ride, Went down a slope Up a Berm, Did a Beautifull Jump, SO I decided to have another go (the old one more go and we'll go Home ) situation, Did the jump, I hit a bump on take off, which threw the bike off to the side, I ended up landing on my head/shoulder, I have properly, snapped the collar bone approx 1/2cm off being an open fracture, the clavical is in two with a bit of bone floating around, won't be riding for at least 3months, May still need operating. That is my worst injury so far. Not as bad as some of you poor guys on here, But I don't Recomend It to anyone... TO add Insult to Injury I am supposed to be In Wales Riding this weekend.

Bikes are good

That sucks..

I flipped over and landed on the back of my clavicle a year ago last night. I was in surgery a year ago today. Fully recovered in 2 months with help from a plate to hold the broken off piece with the non broken piece. All is good. Every time I crash now though, I wait for something awful to happen. Good luck with your recovery. Welcome to the club.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Love the welds...
    No pics to share but a separated shoulder that took forever to recover from. Went off a bridge and dropped about 5 feet and landed with all of my weight on my right shoulder. As luck would have it, I am right handed. Spent 8 weeks in a sling and another 8 weeks of PT to get my flexibility back.

Also have suffered one concussion and lots of cuts, scrapes and bruises.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    I flipped over and landed on the back of my clavicle a year ago last night. I was in surgery a year ago today. Fully recovered in 2 months with help from a plate to hold the broken off piece with the non broken piece. All is good. Every time I crash now though, I wait for something awful to happen. Good luck with your recovery. Welcome to the club.
    Ouch, I am Glad you are fully recovered, I am just hoping the MRS will Let me back on the bike without Fileing for Divorce...
    I am hoping they won't operate, I have movement in my lower arm and the Infamous "BUMP" has gone down dramatically. Just the daytime T.V. to suffer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Front wheel got caught at a bump on the top of a downhill slope, and then went over the handlbars. Briefly popped my shoulder out and then back in all in about 2 seconds, grazed my right hip and scarred my left shin from the handlebars going down the 5m hill which had concrete blocks on it. Bike followed me down naturally. Doesn't look like I popped my shoulder out, but I had to drive home in a manual using only my left arm and could barely move it for at least a week.

icwaturidethar

mtbr member
    last year at 'labin xc marathon' (croatia) i've exaggerated a little bit with speed on one slippery downhill singletrack...

(photo was taken a week after)

mtbr member
    a year after...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by devilish_dwarf
    a year after...

I hope your back on the bike now! I'm a lot slower now after almost catasrophic crash. probably out of fear!

mtbr member
    don't worry.. i'm back on trail!

and you're right!
    i have to admit that i did, a little bit, slowed down on wet and loose trails.
    not much, but...

mtbr member
    Right shoulder AC separation 3 degree.... nasty and 6+ months of recovery....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My worst was a dislocated right shoulder, countless scars all over. I have all broken one helmet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Boulders always win.

Fractured C-3 and totally tore all the tendons and ligaments holding my noggin on at Whistler in September. I didn't know it was fractured (just thought I had jammed it good) so I rode there for 2.5 more days. Had an MRI when I got home and found the fracture. I feel lucky since I did a head dive into a boulder doing 20 + MPH.

Blue Pig
    Aaahhhh

hand cooter
    Hahahahaha.

First scare was when I was 10... pedals got out of control going down a hill and smashed the chin on the edge of a sidewalk. They had to bleach that sidewalk the next day because the blood practically colored two slabs.

Second crash when I was riding in the morning. I was riding down a sidewalk and the front tire slipped and I smashed my left knee cap on a sidewalk slab that was overlapping another slab. Whole knee was blood red and didn't even notice till I got into the building and left blood droppings in the hallways. Couldn't ride, run, sit, and bend the knee for 5 years and had to have the knee drained due to too much water building up each year. I was told that If I had taken pictures of the accident and sidewalk I would of been able to sue the township but **** happens.

All I have are scars so sorry no pictures of when they were bloody and knee was showing bone.

Sidewalks are not my friends...
    Last edited by Blksocks; 12-29-2009 at 04:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breakable
    Fractured C-3 and totally tore all the tendons and ligaments holding my noggin on at Whistler in September. I didn't know it was fractured (just thought I had jammed it good) so I rode there for 2.5 more days. Had an MRI when I got home and found the fracture. I feel lucky since I did a head dive into a boulder doing 20 + MPH.
    your probably a little shorter! I fracture c1 t3,t4, and am lucky to be here and am a lot shorter, due to the compression fractures.

take it slow. I keep making the mistake of coming back to soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    i had to get into this one..face vs blacktop... for the record this is from march 11 2005..got 3 ti plates 2 under the eye an 1 above but this wasn't the worst of the wreck.. on my way over the bars my right kidney caught the bar end an tore it up a bit...cause of this i was critical.. laid in bed for a week before they even touched my face..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-bad-day.jpg  

Blue Pig
    So I am going through the replies in my email and this comes out. I click the link and as I grab a chocolate chip cookie to nibble on and this bloodied face comes up. Some might spit their cookie out but I had to say "Damn! that's a nice bruise!" and ate another cookie.

Good going on that eye!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    oh yea i forgot to mention. that was day 21 when they let me out of the hospital...ill tell ya after did this i was really dizzy on my feet but for some reason i couldn't write anything for the most part..seemed that i couldn't concentrate on nothing without getting all dizzy..that was weird to say the least..guess i was really really close to becoming a vegetable.. i thank god everyday trust me...

Blue Pig
    That was day 21? they suck at cleaning your face. That's how my knee (worst) and chin looked and with a bottle of rubbing alcohol and peroxide (Yes, completely full bottles!) I was able to clean them up.

Now, if your smiley continues to bang its head off that brick wall it's gonna look like you! Haha, teasing!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    lol..yea there was alot of blood under the skin cause of the surgery to the sinus[skull].. as the swelling went down my eye began to wanna open every time it would open alittle bit. blood would run down like a tear..lol.. it was awesome really.. the nerves are damaged an Ive lost alot of feeling on that side.. i couldn't feel when the blood would drip out of the corner of my eye..lol i remember i went to home depot one time with my wife an people were freaking out...every few minutes blood would run out of my face an i kept needing more tissues...when i went up to the counter an asked if they had some the lady was like OMG do u want me to call an ambulance....i was like oh no I'm fine just a tissue...it was great really..id have to say not being able to do the things a man needs to do for his family sucked but the pampering is nice..hahaha.. i miss it really...

OHHHH..yea.. i forgot to say HELMETS ARE UR FRIEND....i didnt have one on but i assure u that ull never see me without one now..

Just Ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by nagatahawk
    my other hobby is rc cars/ trucks. I race vicariously, and when I crash it doesn't hurt, just the pocket book. just saying.
    Until ya get a runaway straight into ya leg. That wouldn't/shouldn't happen to the driver but does happen.
    Last edited by Joel.; 01-03-2010 at 02:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I experienced a seperated shoulder several months ago after I fell off of a 2x6 bridge and fell 8 feet straight onto my right shoulder. I was lucky I didnt break my neck, but I have stuck to cross country riding the last few months due to constant shoulder pain. Not a major injury but it still hurts like hell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel.
    Until ya get a runaway straight into ya leg. That wouldn't/shouldn't happen to the driver but does happen.
    the 1/10th electric ones don't hurt. it's the big 10 lb 1/8th that will take you leg off. I don't racre 1/8th!

and don't stand around in the way!!

local jackass
    broken: left collar bone

stiches: 8 in my chin 6 in my leg

countless shin scars and chunks missing from my shin bone also got a pretty nice scar from snapping a pedal in half and having it go into my calf muscle
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

Warrior's Society

Tib / Fib Fracture.....................

Rang in the New Year with trip to Palm Canyon.....Palm Springs, CA.

9 miles into 24 mile ride. 2 wheel drift turned into 2 wheel washout. Right foot/pedal grabbed the dirt and twisted. Got up and the right foot was bent over 45 degrees and rolled up a little.

No access to getting a vehicle back where we were. Was not going to call the chopper in.

Splinted me up with a tube, cut a waterbottle down to cup the heel and back of the leg, bandana, electrical tape, yucca plant and athletic tape. Removed the cleat from my shoe so I would accidently clip in. Got back on the bike and rode 85% of the trail for the next 14 miles.

Here is what it looked like 7 hours later when I finally got to the ER:

And after surgery:

Ended up with broken tibula and fibula along with the foot being dislocated. Actually ended up with 2 brakes in the big bone.

Been off the bike 5 weeks now....starting to go crazy. Another 5 weeks or so and I can start to think about riding again.
    Last edited by mtnbikej; 02-20-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Was riding with a friend to edge of a park so we could get cell service to make reservations at a comedy/rock club. On the way back in we started sprinting for the parking lot. At about 29 mph my front tire blew, cracking my new Scalpel (aptly named) in half and putting me on my head in front of my friend. My hand wound up getting caught up in his front rotor. Took my right ring finger off just bellow the second knuckle. My index finger lost most of the nail and tip.

I started riding again about 5 days after the wreck and raced again about a month later. I now send all new full finger gloves to my mom for modification.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-finger.jpg  

"Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

Bikes are good

Jesus Christ

You win. Holy f' dude. That is crazy. Sorry about your finger loss, that is scary stuff. You can be grateful it wasn't your thumb. Couldn't even spank it then. I will tell this story to everyone I know. Good luck and keep riding. You are the new bad a$$ in town.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeuphill9
    Was riding with a friend to edge of a park so we could get cell service to make reservations at a comedy/rock club. On the way back in we started sprinting for the parking lot. At about 29 mph my front tire blew, cracking my new Scalpel (aptly named) in half and putting me on my head in front of my friend. My hand wound up getting caught up in his front rotor. Took my right ring finger off just bellow the second knuckle. My index finger lost most of the nail and tip.

I started riding again about 5 days after the wreck and raced again about a month later. I now send all new full finger gloves to my mom for modification.

DING DING DING!!!!!!! We have a winner!!!!!
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Trust me, I am grateful every day that it wasn't my thumb... I work as a bike mechanic so that might have been career ending right there.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeuphill9

You win hands down

mtbr member
    I've dislocated my shoulder 5x, but none of it biking lol Otherwise its just been scrapes and bruises, I also wear my helmet whenever doing anything technical, probably saved me at least 3 concussions
    Last edited by ak_cowboy; 06-01-2013 at 09:21 PM.

philcruz
    i had a bike accident 4 yrs ago in june but was a motorbike accident not mountain bike and ive just started riding again mountain bike that is,i had 68 breaks 790 stitches and 7 months in a coma my injurys were both hips shattered,both collarbones broke,my right leg was shoved up inside my body taking my spline out and breaking 2 ribs on way and finishing up damaging one of my heart valves,a pole went through my helmet and took my left eye out and left eye socket damage,6 breaks in my lower back,3 breaks in my neck and swelling of my spine left me paralised for nearly 2 yrs,broken arms,left foot shattered,and was brought back to life 3 times in first 2 weeks,i used to live for training and gym i was 22 stone 6,6 when i had accident was 10 stone when i got out of hospital a yr and half later,still have to have morphine all the time for pain and cant walk more than 100 yards but i manage to ride bike as lots less weight and stress on my hips,any one else had worse lol?

mtbr member
    Phil, Welcome back to Planet Earth!
    you win as far as any recoverable injuries yours is the worse that I have ever heard of! I guess getting off on a motorcycle at 100 mph can take its toll! I used to ride them. I was doing about 120 and the CHP couldn't get a clock on me until I slowed down to 80 mph! I was just gassing it!

Anyways welcome back to being alive! keep on cycling, I might suggest road bikes on bike paths for now. you don't want to go otb out on the single track. Ive been there too. with a concussion, 3 compression fractures of the spine and neck.

it's been 2 yrs and I almost have full rotation of the neck. my back will always have issues at the compressed verts

...2 wheel terror...
    Worst biking injury I have to date is three ruptured discs in my back. Still recovering from it but getting better everyday.

Do it all or nothing
    Worst I did was a couple weeks ago, broke some rips on a failed no hander. I ended up lossing the bike and taking the front wheel in the ribs for a landing. The laughing part was in emerge when the doc all guess bike from the tire marks on my white shirt:P The front wheel became a taco and I'm currently waiting to order a new one. CRC still doesn't have the saint hubs in yet
    If it ain't broken... why the hell you fixin it!

KONA rules!!

If you miss the tranny... don't look down.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    today was my worst. typing one handed blows, btw. tire peeled off rim at speed, didn't even see it coming either. ended up approx 20 ft from bike with left shoulder taking honors for first contact with mother earth, followed by head. god bless that helmet, left a postage card indentation about 1/4" deep in the shell right on the temple coverage area. dislocated shoulder and cracked scapula. worst part- riding solo, no other riders on trail at all. had to put front wheel back together (rim didn't fold, but the tire and tube needed to be remounted) just to push bike 3 miles back to car, threw up twice but obviously could have been worse. bike made it out okay which kind of surprised me and i was happy with my trail side repair skills.

safety advisory- don't run racing ralph 2.4 at low pressure on narrow rim.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Wow, I thought I had some injuries, but nothing compared to you guys. I've gone through the separated Shoulder, herniated discs, The most annoying has been a broken ankle. Doc says that if I want to keep riding, I should wear an ankle brace. Heck, I should just wear armor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    my worst injury every... I broke 1 rib and tore apart that cartiledge that holds a few of them together so now the left side of my ribcage sticks out way further then my right. Worst part, I did it screwing around in front of my house before a ride, in front of all my riding buddies. Other then that I have been very lucky. Knock on wood

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Riding early one morning with a buddy of mine back in 07 I failed on a technical climb, ended up shattering my tibia into 3 pieces and fibula was cracked too. Needless to say, there's no walking out of any trail when your leg is flopping mid shin. My friend had to call for a bus. He rode out to the ranger station to meet up with paramedics so he could bring them back to where I was held up. So deep in the woods took em an hour to get to me. Of course while I'm sitting there counting rocks to keep myself occupied it starts to rain (as if it wasn't bad enough). 3 paramedics that reminded me of the 3 stooges were in charge with my well being. Didn't even know how to work the air cast.

About another 20 min hike on a stretcher to the fire road where I got put on the bed of a pickup truck, 10 more min till the ambulance, 30 min to the hospital. FINALLY got some damn morphine. No surgery but a holy long recovery time. I spent 3 months on my back. 5 more months on crutches. At about 9 months I had to start learning how to walk again. Till this day I don't have the same range of motion in that leg.

But we love riding. Got back on the horse and kicking ass. Getting ready for a race in 2 weeks.

I'll post my xray as soon as I find and scan it

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i think the worst bike related accident was my senior year.wrecked on a very fast fire road run.the crash landed me in a drainage tube which sliced my helmet in half and shoved 2 broken spokes through my calf and upper thigh.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Was being lazy climbing out of a creek bed with a step-up and layed down the power when I realized I was going to slow to clear the rocks. the bike reared just like a horse would and i went backwards into the creek. I broke both wrist bones and chipped a big chunk off of the bone where it meets the wrist. Six hours of surgery, one 3" T shaped plate, 14 screws and a wire 4" long later i was in for about 4 months of seriously painful rehab. ( I had ACL replacement from a skiing injury and this was WAY worse). That was 3 yrs ago and i really only think about it when there is a serious weather change coming. I had a Tomac Eli literally break in half on a long descent but came away from that one completely unscathed. Weird how that works sometimes.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ac separation - i get surgery tomorrow.

mtbr member
    about a yr ago I was all happy to ride my first full suspension bike that I bought used off craigs list. Well I missed the turn to the trail I wanted to be one and got going to fast on a trail I should of not been on missed a turn went over a drop of about 5 ft.

Really missed up my rt wrist:
    compartment syndrome
    tore ligaments and tendons which during the 5 hr surgery the doc had to go up into my forearm to reattach and pull back down
    fractures many wrist bones and turned some 90 degrees

I fell down on a snowbank offroading and now the wrist is acting up but still riding

1 wk after surgery

this one shows the compartmental syndrome I had

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Worst so far was in about 96 or 97. Shattered my $$$ Giro helmet, then proceeded to shatter my skull in multiple places. Literally changed the shape of my head for the rest of my life. Also had road rash that removed skin down to the connective tissue all along my right side from my upper ribcage down to my knee.

Freaked the hell out of the college kids that found me unconscious.

mtbr member
    Last summer I smacked a hidden stump with my pedal. I donít know how, but it stopped the bike dead and I was thrown over the bars. I lay face down in the dirt for a few seconds, stood up dusted myself of and noticed I had blood pouring out of my knee. Whatever I hit left a six inch, smiley face shaped, gash in my knee, down to the bone. I biked a little over a mile out of the woods, got to the hospital, where I spent 4-5 hours having crud pulled out of the wound. The doctor sent me home, on crutches, with some killer antibiotics. Unfortunately, I was back at the hospital 2 days later for an infection the set in. My wife and I spent our first wedding anniversary in the hospital watching basic cable while they pumped me full of I.V. antibiotics; I really owe her this year. Was back on my bike 2 weeks later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thus was a while ago, but still aptly applies. I was practicing for a DH race and ended going over the bars about 400 feet from the finish line. I landed on my forehead(thank God I was wearing all my gear) and immediately knew something was wrong.

I laid there for a bit and kind of relaxed. A buddy was with me and told me to just hang out. After about 10 minutes, I got up and hopped on the bike and basically coasted to the finish line. I had to cross under some ticker tap an couldn't lift my arms above my shoulders. I immediately went to the ambulance for an assessment.

The EMT's cut my jersey off and took off all my pads. They put a hard collar on and strapped me to a backboard standing up. I got a 15 mile ride to the local hospital in Chelan where they did x-rays, but didn't have a tech to read them... So....

I got to go for a 60 mile ride to Wenatchee still strapped to the same board. By this time I'm uncomfortable and in a bit of pain. At Wenatchee, they did an MRI, but didn't have a tech to read the results.... So....

I got a helicopter ride to Spokane, still strapped to the same board. There they had a neurosurgeon that read the MRI and cleared me off the board. All in all, this was a 10+ hour ordeal.

I ended up having two fractured vertebra in my neck that required a fusion on C4 and C5. That was 8 years ago and I have no problems now, other than I can predict the weather...
    Last edited by Dawgless; 07-12-2010 at 10:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    tibial plateau fracture, depressed.

however, not from mtbing, from sledding - does that count?

photo's not showing

aka Flatballer
    Aug 2007
    Jeez, compared to some of the ones in here, mine isn't even a scrape.

Went OTB on a dirt jump after I went long (when you're expecting a transition, flat ground is a surprise, and not a good surprise) hit jaw first (half helmet).

Broke my helmet, ripped my bottom lip away from my gums, leaving a big hole where that thing is that connects your lip to your gums, messed up the nerves in my jaw. Only 9 stitches or something to put my lip/gum back together. Not too bad. I was back on the bike the next day.

Still can't feel that part of my jaw, but I only really notice when shaving.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    bent my forearm 25-30 degrees, ulna sticking through the skin, resulted in 2 plates, 14 screws and 40 staples

once i was drugged up at the hospital i asked my mom to take a picture but she didn't have the stomach...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    On the first day of summer I blew my whole summer

two spinal compression fractures on opening day at Keystone

Got up and walked /rode off the mountain

here it is 10 weeks later was feeling great for 3 days then did some therapy and i hurt again

May be up to a full year for complete recovery

mtbr member
    Almost one year ago to the day I am riding down a pretty major street next to the curb. It was a windy day and I had a strong tail wind so I am clipping along about 25 mph when a car (or rather the driver of the car) came blasting out of a parking lot without even looking and T-boned me - direct hit. Her front license plate hit the chain ring. I went sailing across two lanes of traffic. Luckily there were no cars coming up behind me in those lanes or I would have been a gonner.

Bike was trashed (see pictures, ya ya I know it is a road bike - not a mtb). A trip to the emergency room in an ambulance followed by countless xrays. I landed up with a broken left wrist, broken left elbow, separated left shoulder and broken right hand and lots of aches and pains. 2 1/2 months off work and physio for 6 months. At least her vehicle insurance bought me a new bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-busted-1.jpg  

Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-busted2.jpg  

philcruz
    ive had yet another injury 3 weeks ago on the 20/8/10 i was up gisburn section for the first time as im usually a xc rider,but this time up id brought a brand new full face helmet and all armour got it into my head i wanted to do dh,so off i went to try had one of lads showing me how to do the drops and jumps he was brilliant gone over it 4 times and 5th time down it was really windy and raining i was straight over but as i landed front wheel hit a root and threw me straight over bars face first into a loads of rocks smashing my new 661 helmet and hitting my shoulder,after weeks of going doctors and hospital told yesterday my shoulder is broke on end of collar bone and ive torn my ligament off one side said at least 3 months to calm down so gutted

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Compound Tibula - Fibula fracture. August 28th, 2004, Snowshoe, WV bike park, at 11:00 A.M., Something I will never forget.

i be lurkin
    just a few hours ago i built a janky jump and ate it . cut up every pivot point on me ie elbow knee etc

mtbr member
    I have no exciting story. Just an idiot friend (one I refuse to ride with ever again). We're slowing on a rail trail, me on my Kona Cinder Cone, she on a Canadian Tire (think hardware) Store pos road bike that cost 199 dollars. I see something cool and point left. She rides right. Right into me. I am all bloody but grateful the bike works. Her front tire didn't (cost her half what the bike did to replace) and I walked the 19 km back with her, limping badly. She admitted it was her fault.
    Days later the pain is so bad I go to ER and they find a hairline fracture and the bone bruise was coming up so from the ankle to halfway to the knee it's purple and blue. Couldn't walk without a cane, but I could bike. Slight neck injury, again.
    Worst part? She told everyone I crashed into her.

I have a permanent long long scar on my left elbow running up the forearm from Tammany Trace in Louisiana in 1998. On a Rockhopper. I had toe clips (never again) and Stop at a crossing and look both ways. Nothing. I get going and this van comes out of nowhere. I slam brakes, can't get left foot out, fall over. busted chain. Had to walk 30 miles to meet a friend for help.

When my brother was having a bone marrow transplant in May of 2009 (he died that november), I watched his house and cat in Whitby, Ontario. I road a pawnshop ancient Specialized Hardrock but cheap Canadian Tire pedals. They broke and I flew over the handlebars. Knee mangled. I should have kept the x rays. Gloves saved my palms, helmet quit literally saved my life. My brother gets my email in the hospital and laughed and laughed (worth the suffering for that sound when he was so ill) and I was henceforth called Spaz, the Ironman. Two days later, parcel comes. Shimano clipless pedals from a shop in Toronto. In the midst of chemo, he's sent me these pedals with a note. "It was worth it for the laugh, you Spaz. Got pictures??"

Frankly, since I beat cancer twice, I feel pretty lucky for a Spaz.

Nothing like what I've read here for injuries, but man, wear your helmets.

mtbr member
    This was a fun 10 months .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-4644_1177619477745_1145875602_30532570_203002_n.jpg  

Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-6095_1209736200643_1145875602_30647612_1250671_n.jpg  

Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-6095_1209736240644_1145875602_30647613_7191978_n.jpg  

Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-5775_1191369821495_1145875602_30581402_1259998_n.jpg  

No longer a hardtailkid.
    I took a chainring through the calf muscle.

I was being an idiot, pedaling up to do a jump on a small launch ramp, in the rain. I was on the 2nd chainring and 5th cog and my right foot slipped off the pedal, went up, and slammed on to the 3rd chainring. I didn't feel it, because it was so damn sharp, but it bled like a mother for about 8 hours. Kept me off the bike for a grand total of a day and a half.

My friend on the other hand...broke his neck. He fractured C1 and C2 vertebrae. I was riding with him when it happened. We were just riding around doing some stupid urban stuff, bunnyhopping curbs, anything we can find... He wasn't wearing a helmet, but honestly I don't think it would have made a difference.

We no longer ride ANYWHERE without helmets.

Here is the picture of the crash site. He tried bunnyhopping the curb in the left of the picture, and his front wheel cleared it but his back wheel didnt, and it slowed him down enough that he front wheel got caught up in the storm drain and he went OTB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-crash-site.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    check out my avatar. face plant from about 6 or 7 feet straight down. i got a scar on my forehead from the gash you can see and had 2 pins in my thumb
    would anyone like to buy partially plucked chickens?

mtbr member
    Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-l_3e0dedc77f1e4865805318d826fecdb5.jpg there was gravel involved. i was goin sooo fast when this happened but obviously not fast enough. three missing teeth, abscess, broken nose, and a spiderweb of hairline fractures all over my face.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by philcruz
    i had a bike accident 4 yrs ago in june but was a motorbike accident not mountain bike and ive just started riding again mountain bike that is,i had 68 breaks 790 stitches and 7 months in a coma my injurys were both hips shattered,both collarbones broke,my right leg was shoved up inside my body taking my spline out and breaking 2 ribs on way and finishing up damaging one of my heart valves,a pole went through my helmet and took my left eye out and left eye socket damage,6 breaks in my lower back,3 breaks in my neck and swelling of my spine left me paralised for nearly 2 yrs,broken arms,left foot shattered,and was brought back to life 3 times in first 2 weeks,i used to live for training and gym i was 22 stone 6,6 when i had accident was 10 stone when i got out of hospital a yr and half later,still have to have morphine all the time for pain and cant walk more than 100 yards but i manage to ride bike as lots less weight and stress on my hips,any one else had worse lol?
    (slowly starts clapping) wow dude how did that happen? your lucky to be alive

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This just happened on Nov 5 th. Took a 2 ft jump, got cockeyed in the air and was slammed to a hard gravel road. Broke 7 ribs (one twice) and clavicle. Slightly punctured a my left lung. Got a plate put on the clavicle. Now I have 6-8 weeks of pain (pain killers are not doing much). I cant work or drive and money was already tight. Wife is not happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Be wary of taking Vicodin for more than 3-4 days. Lots of problems if you do, some will not be apparent immediately. I broke 6 ribs & was on it for a month, big mistake. Took months to get right from the drug. Re set my pain threshold, which was a problem for long term recovery. Slept sitting up for a month.
    just ridin' em now

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I not on Vicadin but I am on Oxycontin and Dilaudid. Anyone have problems with these drugs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    No personal experience w/ either, but I know Oxycontin has been a major problem for recreational abuse. Be careful w/ any pain killer in that class. I wished I'd gone to Aleve much sooner than I did.
    just ridin' em now

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wow reading this forum really depresses me! Making me re-think MTBing. I'm finishing dental school this year...have tons of school loans...not sure I should be risking my career just yet. BTW had my first OTB today...nothing serious though...just some jammed wrists. Are most of the injuries in this forum from cross-country or what?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Can't speak for others, I'm an XC guy. You will get hurt mt biking, no question or doubt. Only a very few, of the most talented riders, manage to escape real injury. Sooner or later................... Given your profession requires your hands in good working order, ride cautiously at all times. Avoid riding in Downieville or any of the more challenging venues. Avoid riding with others who are better riders than you; you'll be tempted to keep up & that's when you'll get hurt. Good luck.
    just ridin' em now

mtbr member
    Tons of soft tissue damage, a sore jaw, and a nasty concussion. The worst is proly the flat left foot, from hiking up the trail that gave me those other pains.

No broken bones, somehow.

DJ

mtbr member
    Worst I've ever had was back in 02 when I rode BMX.

I went to just do a small endo in a planter in downtown Orlando. The planter was kinda shaped like a Z turned 90 degrees. It went up about 6 inches, then in about a foot, then up about 2 feet. I was trying to just get in the notch that was up 6 inches and in a foot. Wound up with my front tire on the top part that was 2 foot tall. With my hands on the bar I rolled back and went face first into the brick ledge. I wound up breaking from one cheek bone to the top of my nose, back down to the other cheek bone. Shifted my nose over to the left about 1/4". Had to spend 5 days in the hospital and have reconstructive surgery. Wound up with 4 small plates and 16 screws to hold everything together. Chipped the tops off most of the teeth in the front of my mouth and almost cut completely through my top lip. They had to wire my jaw shut for a month and I had to eat of what looked like a huge needle with a rubber tube on the end. I lost over 30 pounds in that month. If I had recked and hit about 2 inches farther back the doc told me it really could have been fatal. The edge of the brick ledge would have hit my right in the forhead. As it is now I have some mental side effects from the crash.

mtbr member
    Worst so far was at Bull Mountain in N GA....hot a jump going too fast, landed nose down, tuck & roll time.......category 2 AC separation in my right shoulder, stage 2 concussion, cracked my helmet almost in two. I don't buy cheap helmets anymore.

mtbr member
    Well, broke my left clavicle yesterday after my front wheel got stuck in the middle of a steep descent. My first broken bone ever and I hope the last.
    Ascendit omne descendat

philcruz
    Quote Originally Posted by haro: the zero one
    (slowly starts clapping) wow dude how did that happen? your lucky to be alive

ID JUST bought a brand new yamaha r1 motorbike and was bringing it home,id rode 62 miles and got 2 more miles from home when i came round a blind corner and there straight in front of me was a tractor across road going to enter a field towing a combine harvester blade,but it was across both sides of road and wasnt level enough to get through gap so had had to stop to go back to swing level to enter field,i had nowhere to go and no time to stop went straight though blade,and was left empailed on a spike that went through my visor and took me left eye out and side of my face off,i was pronounced dead at seen and they brough me back round in helicopter on way to hospital and my dad said i died twice more in following week,ive got another problem now though due to all damage on my face my muscles have started to collapse at night causing my airways to shut down and stop me breathing,i had to go to a sleep clinic other week were they put all clips and pipes on you and film you too in a dark room and it registers how you sleep and in the 3 hours i did sleep they said i stopped breathing every 3 minutes so now i have to sleep with a mask on with a pump at side of bed that presurises my throat to keep my air ways open its a night mare,lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    15ft drop...... went in with my weight too far forward, front tire dug into the landing and i slammed face first into hard dirt. walked away with some scratches on my face (was wearing a giro remedy) , sprained left wrist, deep scrapes on my left pelvis region, and an avulsion fracture on one of my right carpal bones. really not that bad considering the drop. i think im probably super human

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    broke my wrist 2 weeks ago,still need 4 more weeks till i can ride again.

i know its like nothing for you guys that have broke lots of bones,but im 13 so for me its like WOW if i broke my first bone

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    LOL. reading some of this im never getting back on a bike!
    broke my ankle back in june, went out after a storm on a gravel track,came to three large puddles, the first two were a couple of inches deep,the third was about 18 inches deep and so i fell off and was soaked. decided it would be funny to take my mate there, so i went through the first two puddles and went up on the bank and waved my mate past me.of course he hits the puddle and goes flying,im laughing so much i fall off the ridge and snap.....

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast