Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Alaska Turner Mafia

Most recent

I was with Nels last October, joining the Turner Homer gathering. As we drove from Boise to Utah, Nels and I rode Thunder Mountain, then proceeded to St. George to join the convoy. We rode with Team Sanchez and tscheezy at Gooseberry the next day, and had a fun ride. Then Nels, tscheezy and I were just getting started on the Slickrock Swamp trail and I took a spill over the bars. It was on a short descent, and I actually landed on my feet, thinking I could outrun a forward fall while high-stepping downhill, but something tripped me up. A freak incident really. I landed with all my weight on my right kneecap, and felt an immediate pain. I looked at my knee, and there was a rock about an inch cubed, lodged in my knee. I yanked it out pronto recognizing it as the source of my pain. Thinking there may be more foreign matter in the gash, I squeeze surrounding skin to force anything else out, when a white rounded rock appeared. I tried to remove it, but oops, that was the end of my femur, and isn't supposed to come out. This was such a bummer. I knew my trip was over, at the least I'd need some stitches, and there would be no way to continue with the gathering to Moab for another week.

I hobbled my way back to the trailhead and Nels' van, cleaned up my wound, iced it, popped an Ibuprofen, and waited for the guys to finish their ride so I could be driven to the St. George ER. Well,...it was much worse than anticipated, fractured patella. Whisked to surgery, a couple of pins installed, four days in the hospital, and then an excruciating flight home to return to Alaska. My wife even flew down to accompany me!

Nine weeks of physical therapy followed, in which I did more harm. In an attempt to regain my range of motion in my knee joint, I was unknowingly putting force on top of my patella, having the effect of widening my fractures. The gaps were growing, I wasn't making any gains, and a new strategy was needed. My doctor conferred with his associates to just remove the fragments, since I'd still have plenty of kneecap remaining. So with a second surgery they went in with basically a hammer and chisel, and tapped through a lengthy vertical fracture. In the process one of the wires broke, but the remainder I still will do no harm, just filling a drilled void and will eventually be encased in bone.

Another six weeks of therapy followed, and I could tell I was finally making gains without the severe pain associated with the first round. I'm just now starting to ride again, after almost six months! I have a ton of strength to regain, and have lost some endurance as well, but I'm determined.

I've tried to be brief here, but I wanted to tell my story as a lesson to all to wear their armor as a preventive measure to avoid incidents such as mine. I could handle the pain, the inconveniencing of family, loss of work, but what I missed the most was time off the bike and not being able to participate in another week with twenty other Turner riders in Moab. The guys were great though keeping me informed with pics.

I'll probably always have to protect this knee now, since I can't afford another injury to this kneecap. But that's okay, if it lets me ride.

I had a great time meeting CrashTheDOG, El Chingon, Can't Get Right, LycraFR, and BobtheWheelbuilder at the ER, but I missed out on meeting a ton of others and even more excellent rides. Don't let yourself have a story like this, I'll always be thinking of the consequences now.

Rando
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member

Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog
    Your mileage may vary. It might be quicker for you, I really don't know. I was on 2 crutches for 2 months, then one crutch, putting a little more weight on it each week. Later I was only using the crutch to negotiate stairs and stuff. Getting down to one crutch makes everything much easier.

Patience is definitely useful. I just kept reminding myself how lucky I was. It could have been much worse.
    Yes absolutely...Mine could have been much, much worse..I was mtbiking by myself and hit a tree with my helmet, which knocked my balance off, put me off the trail into a creek..Had no cellphone coverage down in the creek, so hauled myself up, straightened leg against railway tie and called friend to call 911...about two hours later they found me and got me out on a backboard..then in a pickup truck and then to an ambulance...I have written and thanked those who helped me on the NorCAl forum about a month ago, ...

I am thankful I can drive and go to work. I would go bonkers at home...funny enough the weekends are the worst!!

Yeah, patience is that which I have to have indeed. But most of all I miss biking!!!.....so much BOO HOO HOO

ANYways, thanks for the info...

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by arandal
    Yeah, patience is that which I have to have indeed. But most of all I miss biking!!!.....so much BOO HOO HOO

ANYways, thanks for the info...
    Being off the bike was the worst part of it.The best part was getting a brand new Burner 2 weeks after returning to riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I mention this before on here, but since you asked. On my first Mountain bike ride I endu and somehow broke my foot and ankle. My ankle was broke on both sides and I had a jones fracture in my foot. I didn't have clippless pedals or clips. I was told the Jones fracture could take anywhere between 8 weeks and 6 months to heal. I was lucky, mine took 8 weeks to heal up.

Well the only thing I can say is never had more fun getting hurt in my life. Despite the injury I fell in love with sport. It only took one bad ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve v
    Fractured skull - got creamed by a guy in a van while riding to the trail. Broke a few teeth when I biffed a landing one time - tough walk out of the woods.
    How do you assist the healing of a fractured skull? What's recovery like?
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

mtbr member
    here's my recent. right radius. i was daydreaming and nailed a parked car. i feel like a dumbass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    This one looked cooler though. Couple of torn ligaments and broken footsie bones.

you need to give back that gangrenous diabetic dude's leg.

+++++++++++++++++++++

3 different torso injuries, 3 different occasions.

-cracked lumbar vertebrae

-detached sternum/clavicle joint and some shoulder bursa injury

-fractured scapula

plenty of dislocated and broken fingers, jammed wrists, sprained ankles.

Outcast
    I don't have any pics [sorry!] but in 1993 I broke my femur; a spiral fracture, just below the head of the femur. Snapped it completely off. When doctors ask you what your pain level is on a scale of one to ten, I now can honestly say I know what a pain level of eleven is. The three hours before they eventually put me under for surgery was the longest three hours of my life. They pumped me full of morphine, but it didn't do jack. I use to think that I could handle pain, tough it out. That gets tough when your thigh muscles start involuntarily contracting, and move the broken ends of your femur around. The nurses in the hospital asked me to be quiet. I asked them some some real F*cking drugs!
    Eleven screws and a bar of metal bolted the bone back together, the hardware was taken out a year later.
    Don't ever brake a femur if you can avoid it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Worst Injury?

Who has the worst injury out there? i've heard some pretty nasty stories.. I almost drowned once (no broken bones or anything), the day i got my clipless pedals i went out riding and fell down in a little creek about 6 inches deep and couldn't get out. thank god my friend was riding with my and was able to get me out of there.

conjoinicorned
    hmmm...

2 knee reconstruction surgery, 1 shoulder reconstruction surgery, 1 broken elbow, 1 broken forearm, multiple broken ribs, and a concussion or 2, all in 10 years of riding.

the worst so far is the shoulder, hardest to come back from.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Broken collar bone. Been riding for 6 years.

another bozo on the bus
    most serious had to getting hit head-on by a cab that pulled out over the double yellow to pass. 1 fractured skull and 2 broken arms. had a blood clot on my brain and ended up with double vision for a week. the headaches the double vision caused were so bad as to keep me in bed the whole time.

most blood was when i went over the bars after clipping a jump with my front wheel when picking up for it in a bmx races. landed face first breaking my nose, 2 front teeth and biting my tongue off almost drowning in my own blood on the way to hospital.

hyper-extended knee was the most rehab. broken tibia, ACL removed, torn pletela tedon and menecus. two surgeries and 8 months of rehab later, back on the bike.

full list of injuries includes, 6 broken arms, a broken collar bone, broken femur, broken hip, broken tibia, 2 skull fracture

Mashers Only!!
    Quote Originally Posted by washedup
    most serious had to getting hit head-on by a cab that pulled out over the double yellow to pass. 1 fractured skull and 2 broken arms. had a blood clot on my brain and ended up with double vision for a week. the headaches the double vision caused were so bad as to keep me in bed the whole time.

most blood was when i went over the bars after clipping a jump with my front wheel when picking up for it in a bmx races. landed face first breaking my nose, 2 front teeth and biting my tongue off almost drowning in my own blood on the way to hospital.

hyper-extended knee was the most rehab. broken tibia, ACL removed, torn pletela tedon and menecus. two surgeries and 8 months of rehab later, back on the bike.

full list of injuries includes, 6 broken arms, a broken collar bone, broken femur, broken hip, broken tibia, 2 skull fracture
    We can never hang out.... I'm sorry!

My ego has been bruised hard a few times!

HUGH

another bozo on the bus
    Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    We can never hang out.... I'm sorry!

My ego has been bruised hard a few times!

HUGH
    me too

occasionally good
    Ever considered a safer sport? Like skydiving?

Am currently rehabbing from a bad shoulder dislocation from a trip OTB. Broke my clavicle in two places a couple of years ago from a similar accident. I've been really lucky.
    Don't ask me a question unless you really want to hear what I think.

another bozo on the bus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingirl1961
    Ever considered a safer sport? Like skydiving?
    no lie, i tried golf and ended up in the ER getting stitches. yes, GOLF.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    broken colar bone, and then busted ribs, but nothing compared to ruptured calf muscle (painful) still not healed over a year

Hairy man
    I think Chess is for you. One of those sets for kids with the big pieces that you can't choke on...
    We all get it in the end.

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by smalbikpro
    Who has the worst injury out there? i've heard some pretty nasty stories.. I almost drowned once (no broken bones or anything), the day i got my clipless pedals i went out riding and fell down in a little creek about 6 inches deep and couldn't get out. thank god my friend was riding with my and was able to get me out of there.
    Some poster named Jewell of Denial (or something like that) broke her neck and has to wear a halo for many months. Then there's the guy who broke his face and skull on the edge of a curb and had to have a straw in his brain to drain fluids. There have been some others almost as nasty around here.

Worst I've done is got my bell rung and lots of bruising. (Knocking on wood)
    We all get it in the end.

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Some poster named Jewell of Denial (or something like that) broke her neck and has to wear a halo for many months.
    Wow - I had to look that person up to see if it was who I thought it was (it wasn't)

True story - I was a course marshal at a race this summer... one of the racers went OTB and had a similar injury... also broke her helmet in two, rapidly bleeding head wound... anyway, there was an EMT right there who stabilized the woman's head so they could package her and get her out - took something like three hours. She's going to be OK but is also wearing a halo and has a lot of PT to look forward to.
    Don't ask me a question unless you really want to hear what I think.

mtbr member
    You're lucky. I got golf balls. Hurts a lot more than tennis elbow!
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Feeling a little taller
    Might I suggest wearing armor and a full-face for playing chess?
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    well, assuming this is bike related injuries, wasn't sure cause you didn't state, then i haven't had anything too bad.

one broken knuckle, but hey... it just tought me to ride one handed wheelies!!

about 3 concusions and some road rash to the face and that is about it.

oh and one time i had the spike of my platforms go into my shin and it was really really deep. should have gotten stitches cause it actually bled for 4 days before it started to close up. it was about, uh, 5-6 months ago? now it is a nice dent in my shin along with a scar. took about 2 months to close up and quit oozing and all that. oh well. threw on some gauz*sp* then put some pre wrap and then taped it up and it was ready to ride!
    "dropped outta school. no G.E.D. but in these streets i'm a G.O.D."
    -murs

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Medieval Jousting -- with a Tree

I had the misfortune to snag the pointed end of some deadfall on one of the mountain biking trails in Steamboat Springs 2 weeks ago while riding downhill. Coming around a blind turn, it went right through my arm and “unhorsed” me quite abruptly and left me sitting in the middle of the trail dazed, confused, and bleeding.

I think I know now what it must have been like to be a knight in King Arthur's time - seeing one of those lance's coming right at you, hitting you and knocking you off your trusty steed - brutal.

Fortunately for me, I never ride alone or without a first aid kit. My riding partner that day also happened to be an EMT and quickly stabilized the situation with the assistance of three other riders. At first it looked like my arm was broken, but that was because a piece of the tree had broken off in my arm. Since the impalement of my arm was the only injury incurred, I thought I could walk out and down to my car and then go to the hospital. I could not; every attempt to stand up resulted in passing out and and it was not possible.

Ultimately, our local search and rescue took me off the mountain, to the ER, and then to the OR to clean out all of the crap in my arm. No broken bones - went right between the radius and the ulna bones and missed all major blood carriers and nerves - just massive tissue damage. The orthopod that operated on me said that the inside of my arm looked like a hand grenade went off - shredded meat.

Two weeks later I am riding again, but now I slide on the Roach armor - had I been wearing it, we wouldn't be reading this post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

broken jaw

here's my worst... I went to a collegiate race in Kentucky. I'm an XC guy, but I decided to do the DS race too. Not a good idea.... I went off a jump, tried not to get air, got air, front wheel landed way before the back wheel, I landed on my face and broke my jaw. I went the local redneck hospitol to get it looked at. They confirmed that it was broken, gave me some morphine, and told me to get it looked at at home. That's a 7.5 hour drive home, with a broken, jaw, and an upset stomach from the morphine. 3 or 4 days later I finally got it wired shut and was stuck on a liquid diet for 6 weeks. Not fun. I haven't done a DS race since, but I'm getting more and more aggressive on my XC bike..... so you never know!

Oh and I'm pretty sure my helmet saved me from being a vegetable!

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast