Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hello, First time poster, long time rider. Have a bmx background but also have been riding mtb about 20 years. my worst injury happened 5 months ago when i looped out on my bmx and slammed my elbow and scraping my face on the ground. five stitches in my chin, nose glued, and shattered my humerus goining into my elbow. The injury was bad enough to crush my ulnar nerve which controls th pinky finger and half of the ring finger. was told that feeling will never return to my two fingers and outside of my palm because the nerve has not started growing back even after 5 months, Doc also said he is unable to fix with surgert. sux because will make it hard to hold onto the bars. needless to say, wife made me sell the bmx which i am ok with. i'm thinking tha i should be able to continue riding mtb but will have to tape the two fingers together to have enough strength to hold the bars.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Crazy my boy literally did that last Saturday and had surgery Monday. 4 pieces after taking a trail here in Okinawa Japan a little too fast for the terrain.

mtbr member
    Dislocated a finger on my commute on 4 december 2013. They popped the thing back in, had a cast for a week and then got surgery to repair the internal damage. Still not fully functional and I don't think it will ever be, but can do day to day stuff and ride my bike, so don't care that much.

Luckely i was wearing a helmet, because i also hit the road with my head and passed out for a while, so could have been much worse

mtbr member
    I've damaged the radial nerve in my left arm. When I fall I fall to the left and I've fallen off a few times (pre-xmas) if I tried to do a press up I'd have to do it on my knuckles can't flatten left hand onto ground. getting ongoing physio for it.

Sent from my i9100 Warbird
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    When I was 16 I was riding my old Elf 24" cruiser down the street when my chain snapped. My right foot slipped off the front of the pedal and planted on the street while the momentum of my body and bike proceeded to severely hyperextend my knee. The pain took my breath away! Thankfully I did this in front of a friends house. Several minutes later and still writhing in pain I propped myself up on the bike and used it as a crutch to get to his front door. I fell on his floor and told him what happened. He thought I was kidding. He told me to try and bend it and in the process it snapped back in place with an incredibly loud pop. My knee has never been the same, but thankfully I can still ride and I no longer have pain.
    The Truth will set you free.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Broken Proximal Left Humerus after taking a digger at Alafia- only 3.5 weeks post-op right now and wondering if I'll ever ride again.. the pain is pretty bad.

mtbr member
    1994 going down the access road next to the old turn station at Park City Mtn Resort I went to turn right heading to the Sweeney switch backs and something went wrong. I woke up on my back and proceeded to check myself over and was mostly intact. My helmet was crushed and broken and my skull was in one piece. Bike was messed up but I was able to ride down. I loaded up my bike and made the drive to SLC and by the time I got down there I noticed that my back was starting to hurt and I decided to take myself to the hospital. Five hours later, 2 cat scans and an MRI they told me I had fractured C5 and 6. Five days later they put me in a halo and I had to wear that for the next 3 months. Wearing the halo was pain wise much much worse than the pain from the fractures. On a positive note I got the halo off and the next day went to see the Rolling Stones play at Rice Eccles Stadium at the U of U. 20 years later I still ride and snow ski 60+ days a year.
    Such a long long time to be gone, such a short time to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phattruth View Post
    When I was 16 I was riding my old Elf 24" cruiser down the street when my chain snapped. My right foot slipped off the front of the pedal and planted on the street while the momentum of my body and bike proceeded to severely hyperextend my knee. The pain took my breath away! Thankfully I did this in front of a friends house. Several minutes later and still writhing in pain I propped myself up on the bike and used it as a crutch to get to his front door. I fell on his floor and told him what happened. He thought I was kidding. He told me to try and bend it and in the process it snapped back in place with an incredibly loud pop. My knee has never been the same, but thankfully I can still ride and I no longer have pain.
    Twisting my knee installing a water heater is what got me into biking, because I couldnt run anymore. I find that the up and down pedal motion and lack of impact is great for the muscles and goes easy on those joints sensitive to twisting forces. I guess I should be thankful for that injury. Cant say that about most injuries.
    "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" -- Mark Twain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Re: Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?

I ordered a new frame and all the parts to build my first full suspension bike. The following week I blew out my knee while snowmachining. Now I sit here 6weeks post surgery (replaced PCL and LCL) staring at my completed new bike. Doc says I can ride in two weeks...
    Paul

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

ragley blue pig x
    First injury since the early 90s and its students elbow, fek knows how it happened all I know is there will be no going up mountains for the next three weeks...just boring old cycle paths.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    This looks like a good place for my first post

My most serious injury happened on a BMX when I was 15 (1980). I was riding in the street with friends, and was transitioning to the sidewalk via a driveway. We all utilized the transition as a little ramp, and were seeing how much air we could get. Unfortunately, my landing was less than stellar, and I ate the sidewalk. Severe road rash on my left arm and back. Bruised kidney causing blood in my urine. Ruptured spleen. I spent 5 days in the hospital, and 2 months at home on bed rest.

The positive side:
    I was on my annual parental visitation when this occurred. Due to the bed rest, and then no traveling after the bed rest, I was forced to stay here in Tampa to start high school. After graduation, I met my current wife, and after a 23 year marriage we now have 3 children.

Funny how that accident changed the course of my entire life for the better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Shattered knee and dislocated shoulder from motocross, concussion, separated shoulder and broken ribs from BMX, broken wrist and torn rotator cuff from skateboarding, broken toe from mtb and concussion and ZMC fracture with nerve damage to face just this week from mtb. At 53 things don't heal as fast as they used to but my wife puts up with it and you can't be afraid of life, so there will probably be more. I will settle for scrapes and bruises though.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30