Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30
Results 726 to 750 of 750
  1. #726
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1
    Hello, First time poster, long time rider. Have a bmx background but also have been riding mtb about 20 years. my worst injury happened 5 months ago when i looped out on my bmx and slammed my elbow and scraping my face on the ground. five stitches in my chin, nose glued, and shattered my humerus goining into my elbow. The injury was bad enough to crush my ulnar nerve which controls th pinky finger and half of the ring finger. was told that feeling will never return to my two fingers and outside of my palm because the nerve has not started growing back even after 5 months, Doc also said he is unable to fix with surgert. sux because will make it hard to hold onto the bars. needless to say, wife made me sell the bmx which i am ok with. i'm thinking tha i should be able to continue riding mtb but will have to tape the two fingers together to have enough strength to hold the bars.

  2. #727
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2
    Crazy my boy literally did that last Saturday and had surgery Monday. 4 pieces after taking a trail here in Okinawa Japan a little too fast for the terrain.

  3. #728
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Skoezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    56
    Dislocated a finger on my commute on 4 december 2013. They popped the thing back in, had a cast for a week and then got surgery to repair the internal damage. Still not fully functional and I don't think it will ever be, but can do day to day stuff and ride my bike, so don't care that much.

    Luckely i was wearing a helmet, because i also hit the road with my head and passed out for a while, so could have been much worse

  4. #729
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,161
    I've damaged the radial nerve in my left arm. When I fall I fall to the left and I've fallen off a few times (pre-xmas) if I tried to do a press up I'd have to do it on my knuckles can't flatten left hand onto ground. getting ongoing physio for it.

    Sent from my i9100 Warbird
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

  5. #730
    mtbr member
    Reputation: phattruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    226
    When I was 16 I was riding my old Elf 24" cruiser down the street when my chain snapped. My right foot slipped off the front of the pedal and planted on the street while the momentum of my body and bike proceeded to severely hyperextend my knee. The pain took my breath away! Thankfully I did this in front of a friends house. Several minutes later and still writhing in pain I propped myself up on the bike and used it as a crutch to get to his front door. I fell on his floor and told him what happened. He thought I was kidding. He told me to try and bend it and in the process it snapped back in place with an incredibly loud pop. My knee has never been the same, but thankfully I can still ride and I no longer have pain.
    The Truth will set you free.

  6. #731
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    60
    Broken Proximal Left Humerus after taking a digger at Alafia- only 3.5 weeks post-op right now and wondering if I'll ever ride again.. the pain is pretty bad.

  7. #732
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ratskrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    15
    1994 going down the access road next to the old turn station at Park City Mtn Resort I went to turn right heading to the Sweeney switch backs and something went wrong. I woke up on my back and proceeded to check myself over and was mostly intact. My helmet was crushed and broken and my skull was in one piece. Bike was messed up but I was able to ride down. I loaded up my bike and made the drive to SLC and by the time I got down there I noticed that my back was starting to hurt and I decided to take myself to the hospital. Five hours later, 2 cat scans and an MRI they told me I had fractured C5 and 6. Five days later they put me in a halo and I had to wear that for the next 3 months. Wearing the halo was pain wise much much worse than the pain from the fractures. On a positive note I got the halo off and the next day went to see the Rolling Stones play at Rice Eccles Stadium at the U of U. 20 years later I still ride and snow ski 60+ days a year.
    Such a long long time to be gone, such a short time to be.

  8. #733
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Quasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by phattruth View Post
    When I was 16 I was riding my old Elf 24" cruiser down the street when my chain snapped. My right foot slipped off the front of the pedal and planted on the street while the momentum of my body and bike proceeded to severely hyperextend my knee. The pain took my breath away! Thankfully I did this in front of a friends house. Several minutes later and still writhing in pain I propped myself up on the bike and used it as a crutch to get to his front door. I fell on his floor and told him what happened. He thought I was kidding. He told me to try and bend it and in the process it snapped back in place with an incredibly loud pop. My knee has never been the same, but thankfully I can still ride and I no longer have pain.
    Twisting my knee installing a water heater is what got me into biking, because I couldnt run anymore. I find that the up and down pedal motion and lack of impact is great for the muscles and goes easy on those joints sensitive to twisting forces. I guess I should be thankful for that injury. Cant say that about most injuries.
    "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" -- Mark Twain.

  9. #734
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13

    Re: Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?

    I ordered a new frame and all the parts to build my first full suspension bike. The following week I blew out my knee while snowmachining. Now I sit here 6weeks post surgery (replaced PCL and LCL) staring at my completed new bike. Doc says I can ride in two weeks...
    Paul

    Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

  10. #735
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1
    This looks like a good place for my first post

    My most serious injury happened on a BMX when I was 15 (1980). I was riding in the street with friends, and was transitioning to the sidewalk via a driveway. We all utilized the transition as a little ramp, and were seeing how much air we could get. Unfortunately, my landing was less than stellar, and I ate the sidewalk. Severe road rash on my left arm and back. Bruised kidney causing blood in my urine. Ruptured spleen. I spent 5 days in the hospital, and 2 months at home on bed rest.

    The positive side:
    I was on my annual parental visitation when this occurred. Due to the bed rest, and then no traveling after the bed rest, I was forced to stay here in Tampa to start high school. After graduation, I met my current wife, and after a 23 year marriage we now have 3 children.

    Funny how that accident changed the course of my entire life for the better.

  11. #736
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1
    Shattered knee and dislocated shoulder from motocross, concussion, separated shoulder and broken ribs from BMX, broken wrist and torn rotator cuff from skateboarding, broken toe from mtb and concussion and ZMC fracture with nerve damage to face just this week from mtb. At 53 things don't heal as fast as they used to but my wife puts up with it and you can't be afraid of life, so there will probably be more. I will settle for scrapes and bruises though.

  12. #737
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3
    Wow this is impressive!

    My worst one was a fracture to my jaw when I flipped over the front wheel and face planted a tree root... it still aches some times!

    I saw a mountain biking clothing website that might interest a few people on this thread.

    BrokenRiders.com

    Im hoping they print this X-ray design (https://www.facebook.com/BrokenRider...type=1&theater)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-10458325_841900142539390_3116645355566879405_n.jpg  


  13. #738
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    47
    torn ACL, MCL and lateral meniscus in my left knee. opted for light syrgery and have a titanium and carbon fiber knee brace! its sorta badass..

  14. #739
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sleepyguy1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    98
    I'm waiting for the MRI results currently, doc thinks I've damaged the ligament on the outside of my ankle. Someone cut a tree about an inch and a half in diameter or so down, but left the stump sticking up far enough that my pedal landed on it and it threw me. I was busy being a fat old dude falling, so I don't really recall how I screwed my ankle up, but when I got up, there was no doubt I had done something to myself. By comparison to most of you folks, it's barely a scratch. Unless I need surgery :/
    We have met the enemy, and it is us. Pogo

  15. #740
    Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    Reputation: L.t.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    73
    I have three to share with you all:

    1- Worst injury period- Shattered my left Collarbone right next to the Sterno-Cavicular Joint (google it), more like imploded it like a spiral fracture. I did this in a skiing accident on an icy January day at Alyeska Alaska.

    2- Worst accident on a MTB- Took all the skin of the left side of my left calf, some of the middle of the front of my leg, some skin off the left knee, scraped two spots also almost to the bone on my left knee, chipped a tooth (hit my head on the sidewalk), took the tip off my nose, left cheek bone got skinned, left eyebrow got skinned, lips got skinned, my favorite sunglasses got totaled. GOT SOME AWESOME SCARS OUT OF IT! CHICKS DIG SCARS!!

    2b- What happened was I was cruising downtown on my old Diamondback Sorrento to go pick up some new glasses, and then lo and behold, I go to take a sharp turn next to a highway intersection, and I lose all traction, I went right down in a skidding thud and lost all the aforementioned skin, as well as almost ALMOST getting run over by several passing vehicles. Gosh darn public at large, not a single person stopped to see if I was seriously broken (which I kinda was)... surprising considering I was pouring blood from 5 places. LOL

    3- Worst nagging injury- 4 years ago, as I was cruising downtown on an old schwinn, I went to take a lovely, easy, right hand turn at an intersection, pavement and all, but I took it a little too quick, went down, caught my right foot on something, and proceeded to make something in my right ankle tear/rip as I went right and the bike went forward. To this day, if I roll that ankle too much, it lets me know something is not connected down there.

    BONUS:

    4- Dumbest injury- So, common theme here, was cruising downtown on the way to school, took a right hand turn that took me through a rock garden and subsequent sand pit near a local business in the middle of town, no sweat right? Well, as I was about to leave the sand pit, I didn't notice a soccer ball sized hole in the dirt ahead, and my 26er just buried into that hole, and I went flying in magnificent style and face planted on some parking lot pavement. Scraped up my chin real good, all else was fine, including the bike.

    Oh, by the way, I'm only 18 and a half years old, so this is all just the beginning! HAHAHA

  16. #741
    Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    Reputation: L.t.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    73
    I have also screwed up something on the outside of my ankle! Let me know what the deal is with that, I'm morbidly curious.

  17. #742
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,783
    Quote Originally Posted by L.t. View Post
    I have three to share with you all:

    1- Worst injury period- Shattered my left Collarbone right next to the Sterno-Cavicular Joint (google it), more like imploded it like a spiral fracture. I did this in a skiing accident on an icy January day at Alyeska Alaska.

    2- Worst accident on a MTB- Took all the skin of the left side of my left calf, some of the middle of the front of my leg, some skin off the left knee, scraped two spots also almost to the bone on my left knee, chipped a tooth (hit my head on the sidewalk), took the tip off my nose, left cheek bone got skinned, left eyebrow got skinned, lips got skinned, my favorite sunglasses got totaled. GOT SOME AWESOME SCARS OUT OF IT! CHICKS DIG SCARS!!

    2b- What happened was I was cruising downtown on my old Diamondback Sorrento to go pick up some new glasses, and then lo and behold, I go to take a sharp turn next to a highway intersection, and I lose all traction, I went right down in a skidding thud and lost all the aforementioned skin, as well as almost ALMOST getting run over by several passing vehicles. Gosh darn public at large, not a single person stopped to see if I was seriously broken (which I kinda was)... surprising considering I was pouring blood from 5 places. LOL

    3- Worst nagging injury- 4 years ago, as I was cruising downtown on an old schwinn, I went to take a lovely, easy, right hand turn at an intersection, pavement and all, but I took it a little too quick, went down, caught my right foot on something, and proceeded to make something in my right ankle tear/rip as I went right and the bike went forward. To this day, if I roll that ankle too much, it lets me know something is not connected down there.

    BONUS:

    4- Dumbest injury- So, common theme here, was cruising downtown on the way to school, took a right hand turn that took me through a rock garden and subsequent sand pit near a local business in the middle of town, no sweat right? Well, as I was about to leave the sand pit, I didn't notice a soccer ball sized hole in the dirt ahead, and my 26er just buried into that hole, and I went flying in magnificent style and face planted on some parking lot pavement. Scraped up my chin real good, all else was fine, including the bike.

    Oh, by the way, I'm only 18 and a half years old, so this is all just the beginning! HAHAHA

    Get it out of the way now....you won't heal as fast when you get older.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

  18. #743
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    47

    Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?

    If dumb injury's are game-I popped my knee doing a footjam tail whip in my friends driveway at a party haha spent the next 24 hours on his couch with my knee in an immobilizer "on the moon" if you know what I mean.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rovert86; 02-15-2015 at 05:14 AM.

  19. #744
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    17
    Last August I was riding in the foothills outside of Denver with my wife and our friend. I was descending through the switchbacks and was doing 30-35 mph. I was approaching a right hand hairpin and my rear tire blew and rolled off the rim. My bike shot out from under me like a rocket and slammed down on my left hip and cheese grated down my left side and then rolled onto my right side for some more grating. I ended up breaking my left hip and tore off two muscles. I spent 10 days in the hospital and the next two months spent 95% of my day in bed or on a couch. I now have a rod going down my femur and two screws in my hip. I had a screw at the bottom of my femur, but had it taken out about 8 weeks ago.

    So I said to hell with getting injured road biking and I'm now going back to Mountain where it's much "safer". lol

  20. #745
    mtbr member
    Reputation: otis24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionic_Hipster View Post
    Last August I was riding in the foothills outside of Denver with my wife and our friend. I was descending through the switchbacks and was doing 30-35 mph. I was approaching a right hand hairpin and my rear tire blew and rolled off the rim. My bike shot out from under me like a rocket and slammed down on my left hip and cheese grated down my left side and then rolled onto my right side for some more grating. I ended up breaking my left hip and tore off two muscles. I spent 10 days in the hospital and the next two months spent 95% of my day in bed or on a couch. I now have a rod going down my femur and two screws in my hip. I had a screw at the bottom of my femur, but had it taken out about 8 weeks ago.

    So I said to hell with getting injured road biking and I'm now going back to Mountain where it's much "safer". lol
    Is this when you became Bionic Hipster?

    That's a pretty rough crash. Glad you're back to riding! I broke my face in a bunch of places but I always say damage to a lower limb or back where you lose mobility would be much worse.
    I like to ride bikes.

  21. #746
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    Is this when you became Bionic Hipster?

    That's a pretty rough crash. Glad you're back to riding! I broke my face in a bunch of places but I always say damage to a lower limb or back where you lose mobility would be much worse.
    Yeah, I came up with that name after the crash for my fantasy football team and decided to keep it.

    Honestly, I would rather have broken my face than my hip. Although my wife might not like me hurting the "money maker" as I like to refer to it with her. I tore off my abductor muscle and my hip flexor, but the hip flexor actually was still attached to the bone and a piece of bone broke off with it. It reattached, but not in the same place. So now I have a sharp pinching feeling when I try certain stretches. Not to mention that I don't have full flexibility yet. We are moving soon and once we get settled I'm going to start doing yoga with the hopes that my flexibility will come back.

  22. #747
    mtbr member
    Reputation: otis24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionic_Hipster View Post
    Yeah, I came up with that name after the crash for my fantasy football team and decided to keep it.

    Honestly, I would rather have broken my face than my hip. Although my wife might not like me hurting the "money maker" as I like to refer to it with her. I tore off my abductor muscle and my hip flexor, but the hip flexor actually was still attached to the bone and a piece of bone broke off with it. It reattached, but not in the same place. So now I have a sharp pinching feeling when I try certain stretches. Not to mention that I don't have full flexibility yet. We are moving soon and once we get settled I'm going to start doing yoga with the hopes that my flexibility will come back.
    Sounds like you basically detached your leg minus the skin and a bit of remaining muscle. Yikes! Good luck with the move and the yoga.
    I like to ride bikes.

  23. #748
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    63
    Broke my jaw two weeks ago, so here I am on my off days killing time and actually reading these forums.

    I dont know what to do with myself now

  24. #749
    endorphin addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    221
    I had someone tell me once if you are going to crash, don't do it going fast. Maybe making trail riding a little safer than being on the road.

    Hope you heal well.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30

Similar Threads

  1. Worst Accident & Where? (Pics welcome)
    By Superlight in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-01-2012, 08:37 AM
  2. What is your worst crash ever!!!
    By GiantAC1 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 09:00 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 10:52 AM
  4. Hip to knee running injury...
    By DCepp in forum Rider Down, injuries and recovery
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 11:17 AM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 07:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •