Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Negative Rep Points!!!!

Head Trauma

I got really sick of FoSnitzzles BS one day and called him on it. It turned into a major scuffle and well, I had to take a little visit to the ER.

But, you should see what I did to him!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Edibles

i think s-works is the worse

I had my hip Replaced,so I know your pain.I am a o.r. nurse and have fixed plenty of clavicals and had mine fixed to but the hip is a long lasting injury good luck!!!

Team Blindspot

Thanks Man!

Quote Originally Posted by spongstick
    I had my hip Replaced,so I know your pain.I am a o.r. nurse and have fixed plenty of clavicals and had mine fixed to but the hip is a long lasting injury good luck!!!
    I did this on June 2, 2003. Was back on the bike end of Aug. Leg strength for cycling came back pretty quick. I'm still working on flexibility to this day, although not as much as I should. I was never a flexible person to begin with, so it's a PITA for me to do the stretches and exercises.

The Ortho-ped said the break was about 10mm away from having to have a hip replacement.
    How's yours going? What kind of hip did they put in?

I still have my hardware in, the one long bolt that protrudes from the bone is starting to bother me, so I'm thinking of having them removed. They will make a nice wind chime hung from the chainring.

Later!
    Astigmatic Visionary

Now with 3 more inches!
    Here's my tibia from Chiapas, July 4th this year. Actually, didn't happen on the bike, this was "just walking along..."

I wish I had my head meets London asphalt pictures here. I've got a nice 3" scar on my forehead from that, and the right side of my cranium is still numb 7 years later. Couldn't open my eyes for 3 days, and it was the mother of all headaches. Wear a helmet kids!

I think I need to Upgrade
    [QUOTE=cactuscorn]but he can still drink like a champ! cant ya freek? i was with him on his 1st ride back and even then hes no slouch.QUOTE]

Hey keep it down will ya, this hangover is killin me .

Edibles

s-works

I have A DePuy S-Rom Hip metal on metal.

1946:2006:2066
    Good luck to both of you!

When I was in the ER and it came back that I had broken my pelvis a chill went through me!
    It's the one bone that defines us a human. Its unique shape allows us to walk upright.
    That and the hip placement. Hip repair and/or replacement is a life time injury. I got lucky.
    No surgery required. Just let nature do her work. A year and a half later it's like it never
    happened.

Oh...I forget to mention...
    both accidents involved broken ribs...
    they heal fast but, damn...
    are they painful before they do.

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Just another FOC'er
    I got my first mtb in 1985 at age 30. Until 2001 the wheels stayed on the ground, and not a whole lot of bad stuff seemed to happen. Late 2001 I bought my first big travel bike and started really ramping it up. Late 2002 I crashed on a good sized jump and broke my collarbone, punctured a lung, broke 7 ribs and seperated a shoulder, ouch good start. Coming back from that injury in spring 2003 I was hucking off a sandy rock and the back of the bike slipped out and I landed hip first on a rock at the bottom and took out my pelvis. After 8 months of recovery time I was out DJing a nice little 6 pack of doubles and cranked my ACL. That was 1 year ago, and I still can't straighten that leg all the way.

Lots of other smaller injuries as well, but those are the ones that kept me off the bike for a long while. I made my goal of making it all the way through 2005 without any more major ouches. I didn't do one double digit huck this year.

BTW, as for the worst, it was the broken pelvis. Being in the center of your body, every move you make involves it, and it was super painful.

Horst Linked
    Apr 2005
    Fractured skull - got creamed by a guy in a van while riding to the trail. Broke a few teeth when I biffed a landing one time - tough walk out of the woods.

My cup runneth over
    Not too serious… Endoed at about 15 mph into a pile of rocks and cactus. Got up and try to straighten the front wheel, disconnect front break and decide to visit bike shop first to get the bike fixed. Pass out and collapse in bike shop from loss of blood…

I was still picking cactus out of me in the ER.

banned
    - separated sternum/clavicle joint with some rotator cuff injury

- broken scapula

- fractured lumbar vertebra and massive muscle bruising in lower back

- dislocated finger... TWICE

- sprained ankles... many

Quote Originally Posted by wmbarace
    First pics shows half of the external fixiture that basically held the bones in place after the surgery. Second pics is after the staff infection the docs had to back in and "excavate" out the infected tissue and re-drill the bone where the pins were. It was then left to heal from the inside out.

My wife was pretty pissed off to say the least. I was a helpless SOB. We do not always realize that we hurt more than ourselves.
    Chris
    Ahh, that first pic looks familiar! I had one just like it on my left hand. (Im left handed) I endoed and rolled right on my wrist after a epic ride - about 10 minutes from being back to the trailhead. Was tired and did not react in time. What sucked most was I had just spent a month off the bike with two broken fingers on the same hand and was just getting back into the groove. It was to be almost three months more before I was riding again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Ok I'll play

Busted my pelvis in Moab. Was using a bed pan for a week, a walker for a week after that (was great to be able to use a toilet again), crutches for a week, a cane for about 3 weeks, a bike after 2 months.

Not being able to walk made me rethink what i wanted to do on a bike, been a lycra wearing XC guy ever since.

mtbr member

clavicle and three ribs

worst one was 8 weeks ago. just riding along the bike path at night following a buddy with the light. i didnt have the light. he yells something, i see a black thing on the path and ran into a bike placed in the middle of the path. i dont remember much. ended up with a fractured clavicle and three broken ribs. i'm pretty much back on the trail starting this past weekend. such a relief. the 5 spot came only some scratches on the rear D. truly a tough bike.

this was my third and hopefully last fractured clavicle from biking.

not so super...
    Spiral fracture of the 5th meta-carpal. The fix required 2 Ti screws.

I hit a tree w/o ever letting go of the bars - all the Dr.'s asked me who I punched!
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    I fell 6-8 feet and bounced once straight down onto the rear wheel, then came off the bike and tore open a deep blood blister over my right butt cheek just to the outside of the muscle.
    that reminds me of the time riding no hands clipped in... my big ass broke the seatpost and i landed onto the rear wheel. taco'd the wheel.. my ass hurt bad.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Holy ****, there are some serious injuries here, it helps to stay upright in case you guys didn't know I got splated by a car last July but walked away with a broken bone and a bad wound amazingly, besides that, a few broken bones here and there and a seperated shoulder.

cactus- dude, your a mess

Aqua- You know you look like that guy who played Herman Munster don't you?

only slightly broken
    Gravity ALWAYS wins.
    Things you shouldn't do at age 45.

patrick

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Third ride on my nice new 5 Spot. Combination of too much speed, spongy forks and a small jump led to a massive endo- you know the one where mid air you have time to think "**** this is going to hurt". Result 5 broken ribs and a broken collar bone.

Knomer
    Slipped on a now infamous flat cement mossy water crossing. Dislodged and rotated lunate bone in my left wrist. Bone was removed along with 5 other bones in that carpul row, to avoid permenant nerve damage in my hand. I now have 30% flexion and extension in that wrist. In other words, pushups on my fists for life.

Terminaut has pics.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member

New question here. Tigerdog, how long did that tibia take to heal...?

[QUOTE=tigerdog]Here's my tibia from Chiapas, July 4th this year. Actually, didn't happen on the bike, this was "just walking along..."

I am on week 4, down to a walking cast (long leg off the other day)- (putting a little bit of weight on it), have the same injury but a double fracture but no surgery...how long before you were "healed" (i.e., bone union complete)?

Cheers,

Now with 3 more inches!
    [QUOTE=arandal]
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog
    Here's my tibia from Chiapas, July 4th this year. Actually, didn't happen on the bike, this was "just walking along..."

I am on week 4, down to a walking cast (long leg off the other day)- (putting a little bit of weight on it), have the same injury but a double fracture but no surgery...how long before you were "healed" (i.e., bone union complete)?

Cheers,
    4 months before the Doc gave me the all clear. My brother-in-law is an orthopaedic sports surgeon. He said the tibia is a slow healer, something to do with location and blood supply and stuff. Still hurts a little when I run, but otherwise it's great. Might have to get the plate removed next Christmas, though.

Mine was twisted so my foot was out 90 degrees and I broke the other smaller bone (can't remember what it's called). I consider myself really lucky that I was able to get it operated on where I was. It would have really sucked to have to be flown back to Mexico City for the op. Plus, they gave me a local so I got to watch the whole thing!

All the best with your recovery. The first month is definitely the worst.

mtbr member

4 months! .......MOTHER MARY!!!

[QUOTE=tigerdog]
    Quote Originally Posted by arandal

4 months before the Doc gave me the all clear. My brother-in-law is an orthopaedic sports surgeon. He said the tibia is a slow healer, something to do with location and blood supply and stuff. Still hurts a little when I run, but otherwise it's great. Might have to get the plate removed next Christmas, though.

Mine was twisted so my foot was out 90 degrees and I broke the other smaller bone (can't remember what it's called). I consider myself really lucky that I was able to get it operated on where I was. It would have really sucked to have to be flown back to Mexico City for the op. Plus, they gave me a local so I got to watch the whole thing!

All the best with your recovery. The first month is definitely the worst.
    tigerdog thanks...

but 4 months....SHEAT! Oh well, it appears to be healing alright. I wonder if I'll be divorced before then, Having a 14 month old who just started walking is a trial

so when did you go from crutches to walking a bit?....do you think recovery is quicker w/o surgery? I really hope so but patience is a virtue right?

Cheers,

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by arandal
    so when did you go from crutches to walking a bit?....do you think recovery is quicker w/o surgery? I really hope so but patience is a virtue right?

Cheers,
    Your mileage may vary. It might be quicker for you, I really don't know. I was on 2 crutches for 2 months, then one crutch, putting a little more weight on it each week. Later I was only using the crutch to negotiate stairs and stuff. Getting down to one crutch makes everything much easier.

Patience is definitely useful. I just kept reminding myself how lucky I was. It could have been much worse.

mtbr member
    The sock shows how it happened!

Julee
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast