Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    1946:2006:2066
    Quote Originally Posted by suzyq View Post
    Crashed off a DH jump. Concussion, broken hand, lost conciousness. Out of work 4 months with concussion, dark rooms and no noise. A year and 12 days ago; can finally do light trail rides as of a month ago, any more than that screws with the head. Awful, but getting better. Living vicariously through friends and fuel tv.
    Don't mess with a concussion. Whatever time it takes to feel normal, take it.
    I'm in this thread somewhere with a fractured pelvis and a shattered clavicle.
    Both took 4 to 6 months to completely heal. I've never experienced anything
    that took more than a year. But you can't rush it. You will live to regret it.

As my doctors said to me,
    "it's healing slowly, but at least that's the right direction, give it time"

I know your frustration. We all heal at different rates.
    But we do heal...if we don't do anything silly.
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

mtbr member
    I ran against a fence trying to go over some log step things and somehow landed my leg directly on top of one of these logs causing a bad thigh contusion. I was out of action for about 3 weeks and it gave me a noticeable limp when walking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My epic July 1, 2012 crash:

Broken neck (C7), broken back (T3,T4), 2 broken ribs

Small/medium size drop off, with a downhill landing. Front wheel hit first, then proceeded to fly over the handlebars. I got twisted and couldnít brace my fall with my hands so I landed on my head and then rolled over onto my shoulder and back. When I hit, I could hear 2 cracks and I knew I was in trouble. Thankfully, I could move my arms and legs, so I was hoping there would be no permanent damage.

I consider that day to be the luckiest day of my life. It could have had an outcome that was very different. Fortunately, I didnít require surgery. I just need to wear a neck brace for about 6 weeks (4 down, 2 to go ).

Can't wait to get back on the bike, (with my wheels firmly planted on the ground)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I got this on Saturday. I went over the bars an my knee hit the front brake rotor. 5 internal stitches and 14 external. I was told injury was inevitable, I didn't expect it on my 5th ride though.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=cbd5600;9567440]I got this on Saturday. I went over the bars an my knee hit the front brake rotor. 5 internal stitches and 14 external. I was told injury was inevitable, I didn't expect it on my 5th ride though.

Brake rotor to the knee! OOoh, that's a good one!
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member

zygomaticomaxillary complex, Fractured 5th Metacarpal

On July 11th I was riding with two friends. I don't remember how I crashed but I crashed hard. I had a minor concussion but enough that I didn't know where I was or what the year was. I thought 2015 sounded too high and 2007 sounded too low so I settled on "I don't know"
    I landed on my face. I had a zygomaticomaxillary complex. Your cheek bone is connected by 3 bones. I broke all three. These 3 showed up on the CT scan. The other 3 fractures above my lower jaw didn't show up until surgery. I ended up with 4 plates and a bunch of screws. They made 3 incisions. One near my eyebrow, one through the conjunctiva to put the bones back in place in the orbital floor below my eye and a 3rd in my mouth from above my 2 front teeth all the way back beyond my molars. Plus one tiny one in my cheek so they could fit a screwdriver.

I might need an implant to bulk up my cheek bone where some of the bone is missing to look symetrical.

3 Weeks later I'm doing much better. I have very little pain. My hand seems to be doing great. I still have some swelling in my face. I have a lot of numbness. The nerve that comes out of your cheekbone was right where one of the fractures was. So at least some of the numbness is here to stay.

My hand just needed a soft cast.

Broken Face - a set on Flickr
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    slipped on sand, landed on my shoulder-totally detached my rotator cuff. had surgery yesterday.
    Doc said operation was successful, tendons and ligaments in good shape, cleaned up old damage.
    Will be off the bike for at least 12 to 15 weeks. guys, you just dont bounce as well at 63 years old compared to 23

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hmmmm all I have is a few shin scars and a perfect inprint of my disk brake burned into my calf.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    1.)Separated shoulder in 2005 bombing down a descent, got airborn, landed funny and tried to save it. Clipped a tree going 22mph. Two surgeries to fix shoulder. One to put bolt in, and one to remove.

2.)Going in tomorrow (yes tomorrow 8/17) to get surgery on my broken left hand. 5th Metacarpal is shattered. Needs pins to heal right. Cast for 6 weeks. Went OTB on a washed out trail after taking 3 months off due to unrelated back surgery. No idea the trail i've ridden a thousand times would be so different. Bruised rib/spleen too.

I keep telling myself 2 surgeries in 15 years isnt that bad....right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    Hmmmm all I have is a few shin scars and a perfect inprint of my disk brake burned into my calf.
    That might actually look cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA View Post
    Spiral fracture of the 5th meta-carpal. The fix required 2 Ti screws.

I hit a tree w/o ever letting go of the bars - all the Dr.'s asked me who I punched!
    I have this to look forward to. Are you back on the bike?

mtbr member
    Ruptured Spleen with Punctured Lung and Cracked Ribs. BREATHING WAS SO PAINFUL.

1946:2006:2066
    Quote Originally Posted by dencard View Post
    slipped on sand, landed on my shoulder-totally detached my rotator cuff. had surgery yesterday.
    Doc said operation was successful, tendons and ligaments in good shape, cleaned up old damage.
    Will be off the bike for at least 12 to 15 weeks. guys, you just dont bounce as well at 63 years old compared to 23
    Ah, yes. We older riders don't bounce. Well, not as high as when we were young.
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Broken collarbone - over the hangers on a MX bike.

To all those with MTB injuries - how many of you used clipless pedals, and would flats have prevented the injury? I'm currently choosing between the two.....

mtbr member
    Went OTB @ 25 mph. Managed to fracture my shoulder blade, collarbone, multiple rib fractures and a punctured lung. For my efforts I got morphine AND a helicopter ride!

mtbr member
    Reconstructed right Knee, then the usual, broken ribs bashed shins tweaked wrists etc....
    Ride long, ride safe...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Broke my tibia in 3 places last month. Doc says 8-12 weeks to recover. No worries my bikes only a little scratched can't wait to get back riding.

mtbr member
    Years ago I pulled a superman style dismount over a drop of about 3 feet. both shoulders dislocated as I pounded down on the granite landing zone. about 12-13 years later I finally had to get both shoudlers repaired as they would just pop out for no reason. That was by far my worst injury...

My coolest injury resulted from me dicking around by a drainage easment and flipping my bike only to have the pedal rip open the back of my leg. I was using platforms at them time and have what appears to be a bear claws scar down the back of my leg.
    MisFitPsycles DiSSent, ALc
    Rocky Mountain Altitude Rally
    Surly Puglsey
    Masi Gran Corsa

mtbr member
    February 2006: cruising back from class one evening, I went off a curb on my bright orange GT mountain bike doing about 20 mph and had my chain suddenly skip on landing. I lost control, went down hard on my left side, got up and threw my bike into the bushes in a fit of rage. Riding home, I realized my left arm felt wet, looked down, and saw that I had a split-open elbow that took five stitches to close.

July 2008: While trying to escape from a massive thunderstorm in New Orleans, I got hung up on some partially submerged railroad tracks and went down on my left side again. I realized I was hurt, but had to get to cover, so I jumped back on the bike, nearly fainted after two pedal strokes, and fell off on my right side. I patched up some horrific road rash hiding under the porch of an abandoned house, and then went to a local church that was just reopening for more gauze. I was lucky not to get more seriously hurt.

August 2012: I was climbing up a little, rooty incline on the Blue Loop at Fountainhead, lost my traction going about 5-6 miles per hour, and bearhugged a tree. Slightly bruised my shoulder and calf, but pinched my right foot between the tree and the bike. It hurt like hell then, and I could barely finish the ride, much less drive home. An evening worth of ice, elevation and rest did wonders for it- to the degree that I actually went back to FH the next day and slayed that same climb. Now, I've got a huge, painless bruise that goes nearly from heel to toe, but I can't post any pictures or links until I get around that pesky 10 post limit.

The closest I've come to serious injury on a bike was riding at UC Santa Cruz. I had just come to the top of a hill, had a decent amount of speed when suddenly my front tire went sideways and I found myself going OTB into a nasty, spiky tree stump going directly at my face. Somehow, I managed to grab that stump with both of my hands and flip my bike over my body, landing safely on my back with my arms still wrapped around the stump. When I got up, the guy behind me told me it looked like something out of the Matrix, and to this day, I have no idea how I managed to pull that off. Probably would have done some real damage otherwise.

Many in this thread have more severe injuries from biking than I've ever had, and I wish you all a quick and easy recovery! I actually got into mountain biking after I blew my ACL out and lost most of my cartilage in my right knee snowboarding- I couldn't skate, surf, or snowboard for six months, and when I asked the doctor what I could do for exercise, he said, "Well, you can ride a bike..."

Seven years later, and here I am!

mtbr member
    just got my left repaired from a jump I took on my road bike back in late April... rotated over the bars and plowed in shoulder first, tore the labrum up pretty seriously (large SLAP tear) but delayed on getting the work done till the summer was mostly over. Still managed to put in 1500 miles in on the road (mtn biking on a regular basis was extremely painful) and 5 DH trips, the last being the day before the surgery.

This is gonna be a fun 6 months of rehab, no cycling except on a stationary trainer...
    Alea Jacta Est

Twisted Wreckage
    umm just a side note,,, Pictures or it didn't happen.
    Rep is for Mo's MTBR isn't an exclusive club

Ban me once shame on me, ban me twice, your security is weak

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Broken glenoid (in shoulder)

Had my first major injury recently . It was on a single XC trail, not a serious DH trail.
    Broke my glenoid in two (which is the bone that looks like a ball at the end of your shoulder, I believe the rotator cuff pivots on this bone... But anyway enough of the anatomy) after my back tyre slid out on a slight downhill turn and I fell hard on the shoulder and arm. Had to get it screwed back together in a very painful op. Will be out of action for 3-6 months.

Will be investing in some body armour for the next time and have since invested some time in looking at some MTB riding technique videos online (got plenty of time now. It was my left shoulder and I'm left handed )

A painful lesson for a relative newbie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

jump + braking + mud = 7 stitches!

I must have been riding in Nam, because when I hit the brakes after a jump a Punji stick got me! Bike slid out from under me when I braked too hard on the mud and a stick impaled my forearm. I thought I was a pretty fit guy because I just did a triathlon this summer so I was surprised to see a yellow fat globule sticky out of the hole!

It was also my second day of riding my new 2012 Cannodale Scalpel 29er 4! I was more concerned about the bike than my arm! Maybe next time I'll wait for the mud to dry up! Ah, probably not, I can't wait to get back out, these stitches suck balls!

Bike is ok! Pics of the bike are one day old, pre-accident!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-2012-09-05_15-49-12_404.jpg  

Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-2012-09-05_16-28-29_777.jpg  

Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-2012-09-04_15-21-32_635.jpg  

Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-2012-09-04_15-38-11_154.jpg  

Roll Call - What's your most serious injury?-2012-09-04_15-28-27_848.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rotator cuff injury and subscapular tendon rupture.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Somewhat big scratch on back because of crash 'n' OTB, nothing serious tho.

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast